WABC Sports Anchor

Metropolitan

There have been large behind the scenes cuts at WABC, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't renew his contract.

Interesting, even WABC has to make cuts in these tough times. Do you think more on air personalities will also get the cut?

I don't know if Marvell has been let go or not, it's speculation on my part. I don't know the exact situation, but I don't think it would be like WNBC style cuts.

WABC just said Jim Dolan is en route to LA to cover the story of Michael Jackson who was rushed to hospital cardiac in arrest. TMZ is reporting he passed away.

WABC seems the be the NYC station that sends reporters out on location more often then other stations.

I guess it could be debated if it's needed when the networks will be covering this as well as the local stations in the LA area.

Friday, December 7th 2007

Random observations

A reader noted how WPIX/Ch. 11's Thalia Patillo has changed the way she pronounces her name on air to one that has a Latino accent. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially if it reflects a family heritage. What is hilarious, though, is watching folks like anchor Jim Watkins trying, and often mangling, the new pronunciation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/12/07/2007-12-07_tube_talk_ch_5_rains_on_ch_7.html#ixzz0JVqxu3IS&D

WABC seems the be the NYC station that sends reporters out on location more often then other stations.

I guess it could be debated if it's needed when the networks will be covering this as well as the local stations in the LA area.

Yea I'd agree, I've seen that they have sent a crew up here to cover the chaos at the capital, which is odd because there is an ABC station up here, and many other news organizations.

WABC just said Jim Dolan is en route to LA to cover the story of Michael Jackson who was rushed to hospital cardiac in arrest.

They actually sent TWO reporters. I believe Nina Pineda was sent as well. Was this really necessary when you know their sister station KABC is going to find any new info long before those two do?

They actually sent TWO reporters. I believe Nina Pineda was sent as well. Was this really necessary when you know their sister station KABC is going to find any new info long before those two do?

Doesn't matter, all that matters is that they have familiar faces on the story. Instead of some schmuck you've never heard of giving you the latest jacko news you've got someone you watch every night. That's the news director's thinking, whether it's right or not is up for debate, but if they've still got that kind of money then more power to them.

Anyway, in regards to Marvell Scott, glad that it was a positive ending for him. Perhaps he can do some light television work on the side. And from my understanding in terms of KABC, WABC actually typically uses KABC's equipment (Live Truck Transmitter, Microphones, etc...) so that is their way of helping them. The crew is sent, but the equipment is usually provided by KABC or any other affiliate.

Archived