My 9 Halves Weeknight Newscasts, Drops Weekends

Geoffrey

Not surprising at all. Also, by moving the newscast to 11PM, they will no longer compete with sister station WNYW. They most likely won't do well ratings wise at 11 though going up against the top dogs in town like WABC and WCBS.

One thing to keep in mind is that My9 is in New Jersey and NOT within the New York City limits like sister station WNYW.

I'm not in New York so I can't say. But does WWOR actually put effort into covering New Jersey news moreso than the NY stations? I thought this was overdue. It never made sense to me that WWOR and WNYW would have competing newscasts on going head to head.

If they were smart, they'd move Brenda Blackmon over to channel 5 to anchor with Ernie Anastos, and let Dari Alexander anchor on channel 9 with Harry Martin at 11.

I was thinking the same thing...Having Brenda and Ernie reunited and anchoring the 10p again and have her do the 6p with Harry...I always thought that would be a good look.

I wonder if they will rebrand the news title like KTTV/KCOP did.

I understand not wanting to compete against your sister station, but my feeling is that there are already three newscasts at 11pm, there's no need for another one. (In LA the situation is different because there is an additional independent station with news at 10pm).

Also, I never understood how WWOR was more NJ-specific but showed the lottery numbers for NJ, NY, CT, and WNYW was more NY-centered but showed the lottery numbers for NY, NJ, PA

I've honestly only watched My 9 News once or twice...it's cringeworthy at best. Half the "stories" are about MNTV shows such as Jail.

Perhaps on that night you were watching. I watch it from time to time and I don't recall half the stories, if any at all, being about MNTV shows. In fact, more recently they've been sharing reporters more often with WNYW and doing the same stories.

I was thinking the same thing...Having Brenda and Ernie reunited and anchoring the 10p again and have her do the 6p with Harry...I always thought that would be a good look.

Well, at the very least, they should put Brenda on at 6pm with Harry.

I'd just sell WWOR...the duopoly thing is really not working...and especially with KCOP/KTTV possibly sacking 95 people...

Not for nothing, but if WWOR were to be sold, CBS better keep an eye on that station before someone buys it from NewsCorp. I can imagine....two 2/9 duopolies on opposite coasts, except:

• WWOR may or may not keep its MyNetwork affiliation

• KCAL will still be independent.

It sounds like WWOR is headed down the path blazed by KCOP a few years ago now... first, move the show to 11pm and cut it to 30 minutes, then slowly integrate the news staffs, then consolidate operations entirely. Before long WWOR/My 9 News will no longer exist as a unique news identity, like "Fox News at 11" on KCOP. KTTV crews, reporters, mic flags... the only thing that's different is the packages are usually cut down to 1:10.

All that's left of KCOP now is the transmitter, and a logo on the letterhead.

I hope staffing cuts aren't in the works. KTTV/KCOP is like a morgue right now. Almost everybody I work with on the night shift has been told their last day is Sept. 10...

FWIW, I can't see NewsCorp selling the duopoly stations. The economies of scale are just too beneficial, and with the combined physical plants the startup costs to a new operator would be astronomical. Maybe since WNYW and WWOR still operate independently they may be more attractive, but I'd bet the long-term plan would be to consolidate the operations in one facility.

Anyway, my $.02 from the Left Coast...

It sucks but it wasn't suprisibg to me or anyone else for the matter. I hardly ever watched My9 they do have some nice programming but that's probably all they offer lol. Their newscasts were always a long and boring drag there certainly was an increased emphasis in New Jersey but it wasn't significant. The competition is to great and will hardly ever match WABC or WCBS which are the top 2 at this point. If anything they'll have to compete with the ailing WNBC but the NBC network is no match for MY Network so more than likely it will fail and end up jus like KCOP don't be suprised lol.

Again, they can't fully do to WWOR what they did to KCOP because they're license would be challenged. There are groups out there that already want the waiver that allows Newscorp to own two stations and a newspaper in the market rescinded.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if they began to treat 5 and 9 as bureaus of each other with 5 doing the NY news and 9 doing NJ then combining the content for two separate newscasts. Basically taking it a few steps further than they are now. I doubt a sale is in the works, since WWOR is the flagship for MNTV if another group brought it, there's may be no incentive to pay big bucks to keep the low rated programming on the air. I actually wouldn't mind a NY version of KCAL.

I've notice that after a Yankees game, the news would be scheduled at 10pm. Perhaps to capture the lead-ins?

If that's the case, it kind of ruins the consistency. How are the few people still tuning in at 11pm supposed to know that the news starts at 10pm on Yankee nights.

Archived