WPLG Demotes Charles Perez

NewsJunkie247

Charles has published an article on-line explaining his side of the story:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-08-09/why-i-committed-career-suicide/

The title is "Why I Committed Career Suicide" ....

Does he mention me?

ETA: Funny...I thought Telly made up the name of article title as a joke!

SuitSnob's Salute to Charles Perez:

dogattack2.jpg

No gender identity issues here...Chaz is ALL MAN!!!

(How could anyone not want that handsome mug broadcast in their market?)

DAMN that man is a snappy dresser!

He makes pretty valid points on his article, about how the news is now delivered by based on what the audience wants to see and not by what is important. That is definitely true and we've discussed this several times here on this board. Overall, he really spilled his guts out in this article, and let loose all of his feelings, lol. Unfortunately though, I don't think we'll ever see Perez anchoring again, at least based on what he has said on that article, who knows maybe the fortunes he'll make (if he makes them) from the lawsuits will help him out, or perhaps he can do something similar to what Ron Corning now does, internet broadcasting. Anyway either way, despite who's wrong and who's right, I think he made the right choice, to follow what he believes in and not let people push him around. Because after all, we all have to be happy in this world. Its sad that this sort of problem even exists... (If its true that is) I think that based on the article it was his assumption that WPLG demoted him because he's Gay, we still have yet to hear WPLG's side of the story. Anyway there is definitely gonna be a long battle ahead between him and his ex, and now what looks to be WPLG vs. Perez, lol. Anyway now that he's out of work, this should keep him busy... But with this article, he basically just exacerbated his "career suicide", because after reading that article, I don't think we'll ever see him on TV again...

Once all the dust from the various lawsuits settles (or at least dissipates), there's no reason Perez can't get another anchoring job at a place that really doesn't care about his orientation - some metropolitan/cosmopolitan city or perhaps as part of the 365 News team on LOGO....

Bottom line is: he's an experienced, qualified anchor (and reporter). And even before these incidents, he had a very high profile in the gay community that he can consider an advantage (some of us have been in love with him since he dated Norm on the first series of "The Real World"). So if some station manager decides he's worth hiring, he'll get hired. It's not like he broke any laws....

Once all the dust from the various lawsuits settles (or at least dissipates), there's no reason Perez can't get another anchoring job at a place that really doesn't care about his orientation - some metropolitan/cosmopolitan city or perhaps as part of the 365 News team on LOGO....

Bottom line is: he's an experienced, qualified anchor (and reporter). And even before these incidents, he had a very high profile in the gay community that he can consider an advantage (some of us have been in love with him since he dated Norm on the first series of "The Real World"). So if some station manager decides he's worth hiring, he'll get hired. It's not like he broke any laws....

danon.jpg

+

cocaineREX2707_468x435.jpg

=

TROUBLE!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2009/08/fired-channel-10-anchor-charles-perez-wins-two-year-restraining-order-against-ex-partner.html

Fired Channel 10 anchor Charles Perez wins two-year restraining order against ex-partner

BY STEVE ROTHAUS, [email protected]

6a00d83451b26169e20120a5027aa2970b-pi Charles Perez, former anchor for WPLG-ABC 10, on Tuesday won a two-year restraining order against his ex-partner, whom he believes caused a chain of events that got him fired this month from the Post-Newsweek station.

Miami-Dade County Judge Rosa Figarola ordered Dennis Ricardo Peña to stay at least 500 feet away from Perez for the next 24 months. Peña, an unemployed paralegal, has 30 days to appeal and said "of course'' he will.

Perez, 46, testified in domestic violence court that he was afraid of Peña, 42, claiming that his ex-partner had threatened and sexually assaulted him.

Peña denied harming Perez, who did not file a complaint with the police.

6a00d83451b26169e20120a5027ab3970b-pi The two men began an on-again, off-again relationship in February 2006 in New York, while Perez was a TV anchor at WABC. Peña moved to South Florida when Perez accepted a reporting-anchor job at Channel 10. They broke up in August 2008, a few months after Perez succeeded Dwight Lauderdale as weeknight news anchor with Laurie Jennings.

Perez and Peña co-own a South Beach condo. Perez bought it for $435,000 in October 2006 and later added Peña to the title with "joint rights of survivorship."

Perez told Figarola that he still owes about $435,000 on the Sunset Harbor condo in Miami Beach and that it is now assessed for tax purposes at under $294,000. Figarola awarded possession of the unit to Perez, who said he plans to give it "back to the bank."

Since their final breakup a year ago, Perez and Peña have fought over ownership. Perez told Figarola that Peña threatened him physically and said he would ruin him professionally.

On March 16, someone distributed a personal e-mail between Perez and a Los Angeles family therapist to everyone in the anchor's electronic address book, including his employers. In the e-mail, Perez said he needed counseling for gender identity issues.

Perez believes Peña sent everyone the e-mail. Peña denies it.

The feud became public in April, when Miami Herald columnist Joan Fleischman reported the domestic violence complaint.

In July, WPLG bumped Perez back to his old job, saying the change was a cost-cutting measure. Perez then filed a discrimination suit against the station, claiming Channel 10 demoted him because of his now-public sexual orientation. A few days after Perez complained to Miami-Dade's Equal Opportunity Board, WPLG fired him.

6a00d83451b26169e20120a5599997970c-pi

6a00d83451b26169e20120a5027add970b-pi

Who could out-dress Chaz? Totally futile.

Why would someone fight a restraining order? As if it is such an inconvenience to stay away from someone who doesn't like you? If I were a judge I would be quite wary of an alleged stalker that had a problem with it...the best thing to do would be to say "no problem Your Honor...I want nothing further to do with him..."

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update: Charles and his new partner are moving to Connecticut to get married:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2009/09/charles-perez-pulls-anchor-will-move-to-connecticut-and-marry.html

I love the lines about Charles planning to change his name to his partner's - "We don't want to raise a family with different last names." Excuse me - isn't his real name Charles DABNEY to begin with?? And Perez was his mother's maiden name, used to make him seem Hispanic (and thus more desirable in media-land)?

Charles wrote an editorial for the Saturday edition of the Miami Herald - a farewell to Florida, as it were...

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/1229582.html

It is a well written opinion. Too bad for South FL and WPLG. PLG needs to remove its head from its ass ans start to breathe real air (such as what SF has). They have lost a damn good anchor. I wish to him and his partner all the best in their endeavors.

Archived