BREAKING NEWS: SEN.TED KENNEDY DEAD AT 77

WBREEYEWITNESSNEWS

SEN.TED KENNEDY DEAD AT 77

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Edward "Ted" Kennedy (D-MA) has passed away at the age of 77 following a battle with brain cancer. Brother to former President John F. Kennedy and former Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, Ted has been serving in the U.S. Senate since 1962, making him the third-longest serving senator in American history.

tkFSG.jpg

Indeed. This is a sad day for the entire nation.

He fired up audiences at speeches and inspired all Americans.

Yes, he had is vices, but he overcame them and became such an influential Senator and statesman.

I hate to point out a negative, but I told my dad this morning about the passing of Sen. Kennedy. He is a hard-core family matters Republican and he had NO sympathy what so ever. It's sad to me to think that some people just can't let go of the past.

I didn't catch Glenn Beck's first half-hour of his hate mongering radio show, but I wonder if he said anything negative. I bet he was foaming at the mouth ...

In closing, anyone find it beyond ironic that FOX NEWS was the LAST network to break the news of Ted's passing? I don't. Their bias shows just right there. FOX NEWS = FAIL.

-- Matt

This pretty much marks the end of a political era. I probably wouldn't have agreed with Kennedy on much of anything, but it is safe to say much of what was said about Walter Cronkite concerning the level of influence that I doubt we'll see in the Senate again.

That said, his death partly caught me off guard in a way that I didn't expect to hear it when I woke up. But between his not being able to make the wake for his sister a couple of weeks back and talk of considering modifing the selection process to appoint a replacement (which started on Monday), those made it pretty obvious that the end was near.

He's dead, so now he's going to atone for the death of his ladyfriend when he crashed into the water. And now we get Cape Wind, so it's all good.

On another note, the selection process for the replacement was changed back in 2004 when John Kerry had a legitimate shot at the White House, so Ted and his cronies didn't want Mitt Romney ® picking a replacement who could possibly be a republican. So now when it's convenient for him, Ted wanted to change it again...

That said' date=' his death partly caught me off guard in a way that I didn't expect to hear it when I woke up. But between his not being able to make the wake for his sister a couple of weeks back and talk of considering modifing the selection process to appoint a replacement (which started on Monday), those made it pretty obvious that the end was near.[/quote']

Kennedy's death was not unexpected, but none the less upsetting. There is a deep sense of sadness throughout Massachusetts today and you can truly see it in people's faces. I won't delve into the politics of this except to say that many of the opportunities I have earned and been given are due in some part to the work of Sen. Kennedy.

I don't know too much about the late senator's career, but I knew he was influential and a big figure. He'll be missed no matter what your political views are.

And susquvalleywgal... seriously? You gotta bring that up now?

p.s. this should be moved to the breakroom

Indeed. This is a sad day for the entire nation.

He fired up audiences at speeches and inspired all Americans.

Yes, he had is vices, but he overcame them and became such an influential Senator and statesman.

I hate to point out a negative, but I told my dad this morning about the passing of Sen. Kennedy. He is a hard-core family matters Republican and he had NO sympathy what so ever. It's sad to me to think that some people just can't let go of the past.

I didn't catch Glenn Beck's first half-hour of his hate mongering radio show, but I wonder if he said anything negative. I bet he was foaming at the mouth ...

In closing, anyone find it beyond ironic that FOX NEWS was the LAST network to break the news of Ted's passing? I don't. Their bias shows just right there. FOX NEWS = FAIL.

-- Matt

Did you know, they also immediately reported it on their website? So just shut up put politics/FOX aside.

It's really sad that a senator who has served in the U. S. Senate for over 40 years is now laid to rest and we all shall miss him.

Senator Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (Democratic-Massachussetts)

"The Liberal Lion"

(1932-2009)

His voice may be silenced, but the roar of politics which he help many Americans like you and me shall forever be heard. Rest In Peace and God Bless America

What a tragic year 2009 is, with so many deaths of so many prominent figures. It really is such a horrible year at best when it comes to the passing of people. So many important people passing away one after the other, month after month. Its terrible how we have to end the decade like this.

What can I say, Ted was one of the greatest, he'll be remembered in every way shape or form possible, future generations will certainly see him in history and social studies textbooks in some way shape or form because of the outstanding changes he brought to Massachusetts, a hard working man he was indeed.

I don't think he's replaceable, and it is almost always like that, we lose someone prominent and I never think twice that anyone will be able to step up to the plate that's left behind. Ted will inspire many other future politicians, but I don't think anyone can be as innovative as he was. Many other politicians are inspired by him.

I'm actually really surprised of his passing, because although he is of age, well 77... (Not really that old in my opinion)... I honestly thought he was doing better in health, they made no mention of his ailing health over the past few weeks, so I guess its just how the wonderful body works, it's really unpredictable... Anyway may he rest in peace, he will be missed.

--Vlad

It is truly a very sad loss. He was an incredible senator who worked very hard for many issues on behalf of people that normally wouldn't have a voice in Washington D.C.. My hearts and prayers are with his family and friends, and may he rest in peace.

I flipped through the channels during the 9:00pm hour tonight and was surprised that WHDH had returned to NBC programming (a reality show, no less!) while WLVI apparently had regular CW programming. But the two stations are currently simulcasting 7News at 10, which is all-Kennedy.

I'm actually really surprised of his passing, because although he is of age, well 77... (Not really that old in my opinion)... I honestly thought he was doing better in health, they made no mention of his ailing health over the past few weeks, so I guess its just how the wonderful body works, it's really unpredictable... Anyway may he rest in peace, he will be missed.

--Vlad

Actually, his cancer has been in the news a good deal, most notably, since the Democratic National Convention last year in Denver. His doctors urged him to stay in Massachusetts, but he ignored the orders to speak at the convention. Then, on inauguration day, he collapsed at the luncheon (seizure I think) right after the swearing in. I believe that was even on live television. And just last weekend, President Obama, while in Martha's Vineyard, visited Senator Kennedy in the hospital.

Haven't seen it much on local channels, but it's been on the networks and in the papers quite a bit.

Archived