Sue Simmons Solo Last Night on News 4 New York at 11

NewsJunkie247

I found it interesting that Sue Simmons was anchoring News 4 New York at 11 last night solo. Usually, when either Chuck or Sue is off, they always have a fill-in co-anchor, even on major holidays. I think this was the first time I have ever seen Sue Simmons anchor the 11PM news by herself with no co-anchor.

Also, I noticed that they had a new sports anchor filling-in for Bruce Beck last night. I didn't catch his name, but he did a pretty good job.

OMG!!! DO YOU THINK CHUCK WAS FIRED?

Come on, It's Friday, it's a holiday weekend, and it's the 11pm show.

I'm well aware that it was Friday and a holiday weekend. I just made reference to the fact that she was anchoring solo because it was the first time I have ever seen her anchor solo and it was interesting that they didn't have someone like David Ushery or DeMarco Morgan fill-in. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but something that is worth mentioning.

And no, Chuck was not fired.

I found it interesting that Sue Simmons was anchoring News 4 New York at 11 last night solo. Usually, when either Chuck or Sue is off, they always have a fill-in co-anchor, even on major holidays. I think this was the first time I have ever seen Sue Simmons anchor the 11PM news by herself with no co-anchor.

Also, I noticed that they had a new sports anchor filling-in for Bruce Beck last night. I didn't catch his name, but he did a pretty good job.

Actually, this is not the first time that Simmons anchored solo at 11. When I still watched WNBC two years ago, Simmons anchored the 11 solo on at least one occassion that I recall.

... or it could be this little thing called cost cutting. There are single-anchor shows in markets across the nation. Some *gasp* have the single-anchor shows last for more than a half hour! Sure, NYC's market #1 but there's no reason they should be above something like that now and then.

... or it could be this little thing called cost cutting. There are single-anchor shows in markets across the nation. Some *gasp* have the single-anchor shows last for more than a half hour! Sure, NYC's market #1 but there's no reason they should be above something like that now and then.

Yeah, except this wasn't a permanent thing. That show usually has two anchors. While I've seen Chuck do it solo, I have not seen Sue go solo. And you might be surprised to know *gasp* that Philly (WPVI) has had a one anchor show at 6pm/11pm on weekdays and weekends *gasp* for as long as I can remember. Even more surprising *gasp* is that in #1 market NYC WABC had a solo anchor in Bill Beutel on WABC for a good part of the 90s.

As far as cost cutting is concerned, most of these news personalities are on salary, so whether they work one show or two or three doesn't really help in cutting costs. WNBC probable just thought it wasn't worth there while to make someone come in at 11pm. *long gasp*

Archived