WSOC Watermark

Joe Capitano

The Chad Henry story was troubling enough - NFL star having domestic problems, leaps or falls out of moving vehicle, suffers life-threating injuries, dies.

What really bugged me about the way the story was covered by one station in particular was this: Where normally a station will apply a benign corner bug to video like WESH did during the Tiger Woods story, for instance, WSOC chose to watermark theirs - with a big, honkin' full-screen station logo right on top of the video WE are supposed to see. I saw it first on Sportscenter and the first reaction I had to what I saw was as follows: "WHO'S THE ROCKS-FOR-BRAINS THAT WANTED THAT WATERMARK THERE?"

Granted, I've seen this done before - Mexico's two big networks do this frequently, though more subtly. But this "in your face" branding strikes me as a sign of disrespect to the viewer. Why on earth does someone at WSOC think it's a good idea to put this kind of wall between viewer and story?

The Chad Henry story was troubling enough - NFL star having domestic problems, leaps or falls out of moving vehicle, suffers life-threating injuries, dies.

What really bugged me about the way the story was covered by one station in particular was this: Where normally a station will apply a benign corner bug to video like WESH did during the Tiger Woods story, for instance, WSOC chose to watermark theirs - with a big, honkin' full-screen station logo right on top of the video WE are supposed to see. I saw it first on Sportscenter and the first reaction I had to what I saw was as follows: "WHO'S THE ROCKS-FOR-BRAINS THAT WANTED THAT WATERMARK THERE?"

Granted, I've seen this done before - Mexico's two big networks do this frequently, though more subtly. But this "in your face" branding strikes me as a sign of disrespect to the viewer. Why on earth does someone at WSOC think it's a good idea to put this kind of wall between viewer and story?

You can see the watermark in this video from ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtM82Vql3lA

I have never seen such a big watermark like that before on video that is shown on different stations and networks. It is not uncommon for stations to show their logo in the corner, which is fine, but a huge watermark!! Come on!

ABC since '78, used to be NBC from '57 to '78.

Well since ESPN and ABC are owned by Disney, so they probably doesn't care. Although I can assume since WSOC is the least known of the Cox ABC stations compared to WSB and WFTV, who always both wind up with their footage being used by CNN, so WSOC is trying to get their chance to shine in the national spotlight.

Archived