New 6ABC look, logo on the way?

Jess

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice...a nod to the past while taking steps to the future.

One question...how long has Charlie Van Dyke's VO been used with the open? I know they were using him just for station promos over the past few months.

About a year or so, I think.

Very nice...a nod to the past while taking steps to the future.

One question...how long has Charlie Van Dyke's VO been used with the open? I know they were using him just for station promos over the past few months.

They switched to him in June to coincide with the summer opens.

And a note to Weeters, since I can't reply to the front page news thing... the new graphics didn't debut with a new montage - they simply changed the end animation on the montage they've been using since the first day of fall. The winter opens debut on the first day of winter, and they'll probably have some shots of the new news van design then.

I have a fuller montage of the new look here, and I'm going to post a few more examples when I get the opportunity:

[yt]ZOOaKHNYUpw[/yt]

I wasn't crazy about the OTS at first, but they've grown on me. There's something about those L3s I still can't bring myself to like though. Other than that, really good. I like the new circle logo, too.

Very interesting... It has some good qualities. The logo is fresh, but it seems to small when used in the L3. I like the L3 overall, it is unique, but I preferred the character the old one had. The OTS, however, I dislike, i makes the content within the OTS seem too small, much like the logo.

• 1 month later...

Okay, they've made a couple of changes in the last few days.

The first is to the open voiceover. For 18 months, they haven't named a sports anchor on weeknights, and anchor duties were split between Jamie Apody and Keith Russell. As of yesterday, that's changed:

• Keith Russell is now the 6pm and 11pm sports anchor succeeding Gary Papa.
  • Jamie Apody is now the 5pm sports anchor, filling the spot Scott Palmer vacated in 2005 when he left for the Phillies. That surprised me a little (what station uses two sports anchors on a weekday these days?!) but it's a decent promotion.

They haven't changed the voiceover for the 6pm newscast, nor have they added Adam Joseph to the official weekday weather lineup. Either they're going to move him to the 5 and 6 or they're going to just use Cecily for all newscasts, but given how 6 operates on long timetables it could take awhile.

Secondly, they altered the lower thirds as of today. The text has now been made larger and there's a bit of indentation. I'll try to get pics and captures.

That surprised me a little (what station uses two sports anchors on a weekday these days?!)

WLS in Chicago has had two weekday sports anchors for over twenty-five years. They have Jim Rose at 4 and 6pm, with sports director Mark Giangreco at 5 and 10pm (he was preceeded by the late Tim Weigel).

• 4 weeks later...

So we now know who is responsible for at least part of the look. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Cake Studios, LLC:

http://cakestudios.tv/

They appear to be a newish outfit and I can't help but wonder if there was a Giant Octopus connection. Near as I can tell this is their first work for a local TV station but they have an impressive resume that includes the latest ET and Insider looks, an opening title for Wheel of Fortune, some stuff for Comcast SportsNet - and most importantly, the look for LiveWell's On The Red Carpet, which probably brought them to 6ABC's attention.

Still a fantastic look even after three months on air.

Archived