Charlie O' Donnell dead at 78.

ColumbusNewsFan

Some sad news to pass along to you all. The Voice of Wheel of Fortune and Former KCOP Newsman Charlie O'Donnell has died.

The Academy Awards[/i]' date=' [i']The Emmy Awards[/i], The Golden Globe Awards and The American Music Awards just to name a few.

Rounding out his illustrious career, some of Charlie's other credits include: The Dating Game, Everybody's Talking, The Gong Show, The Guinness Game, Hot Potato, The Joker's Wild, Let's Go Back, Monopoly, The Newlywed Game, The Parent Game, Stompers, Tic Tac Dough, To Tell The Truth, Trivia Trap, Wedding Party, The Wizard of Odds and Wordplay.

O'Donnell is survived by his wife Ellen, his four children and two grandchildren.

First Merv Griffin (creator of Wheel of Fortune), then Roger King (chairman of King World Productions, now CBS Television Distribution, which distributes the show), and now Charlie O' Donnell. Another truly great game-show announcer is now in peace. He shall be deeply missed by all.

Guest NewsHound

Rest in Peace Charlie. The world is losing more and more signature voices. :/ I agree with everyone else who said, Wheel of Fortune won't be the same without him.

I know its too early to talk of replacement, and I know its a really sensitive time to mention names, but who do you think could succeed him? I personally don't know of anyone. I've always thought Shadoe Stevens (announcer of The Late Late Show) has the same vocal qualities of Charlie, but Wheel of Fortune would be wise not to go for someone that sounds similar to Charlie.

Either way, he will never be able to be fully replaced.

Rest in Peace Charlie. The world is losing more and more signature voices. :/ I agree with everyone else who said, Wheel of Fortune won't be the same without him.

I know its too early to talk of replacement, and I know its a really sensitive time to mention names, but who do you think could succeed him? I personally don't know of anyone. I've always thought Shadoe Stevens (announcer of The Late Late Show) has the same vocal qualities of Charlie, but Wheel of Fortune would be wise not to go for someone that sounds similar to Charlie.

Either way, he will never be able to be fully replaced.

Currently, Wheel is going the announcer rotation of Johnny Gilbert and Rich Fields. I highly doubt they'll be going the route of Price of bringing in "unknown" or "comedic" announcers. I think Rich Fields would make a good keeper or even Johnny Gilbert since he's already a known name to the Wheel/Jeopardy family which air next to each other in most markets and share the same viewers.

Wheel won't be the same without Charlie. Can't forget Jack Clark who announced for Wheel from 1980 until his death in 1988.

For everyone who missed the tribute, here it is posted from friday, just to share it with all of you.

Did any of you felt during the speaking or when charlie's photo faded into black you were at the brink of crying at all? Just asking.

Archived