ABC Sells Toledo, Flint MI O&Os

TSSZNews

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/459382-EXCLUSIVE_Disney_to_Sell_Two_Stations.php

WTVG and WJRT go to SJL Broadcasting. They were in those same hands before ABC bought them on a scare of WXYZ losing its ABC affiliation in 1995.

The article states KFSN, now the lowest market owned by ABC in the group, will stay in the fold, as it's a technology hub for the other stations.

That leaves Ohio with no more O&O stations and Michigan with at least 2 O&O left for sure (WWJ-TV and WJBK in Detroit) Please correct me If I'm Forgetting any.

Networks are getting out of Non-Top 10 markets as fast as they can and I can't blame them for it.

Actually, I found out that WQHS in Cleveland will be Ohio's only O&O since they are owned by Univision.

That leaves Ohio with no more O&O stations and Michigan with at least 2 O&O left for sure (WWJ-TV and WJBK in Detroit) Please correct me If I'm Forgetting any.

Networks are getting out of Non-Top 10 markets as fast as they can and I can't blame them for it.

You forgot WKBD, also a CW O&O in Detroit. But for the O&O experience, you'd have to go to Pittsburgh where KDKA (a CBS O&O) is.

Not a surprise. The centralcasting operation for the O&Os is in Fresno, thus the reason they'll hold on to that one for now.

And Raleigh-Durham is, I believe, a growing market, which I imagine is why WTVD isn't being sold.

It makes a lot of sense considering that these two stations are in very small markets. I wonder though if they can buy back WXYZ, but then again they're doing great with Scripps.

That depends. If they're in the buying mood, they may do just that or go after another station like WJLA in Washington.

Doubt that Disney would be in the buying mood, but the McGraw Hill stations could be a good fit for them. 3 of the 4 stations are in good markets, plus it would give Disney/ABC control over all of the ABC stations in California's major cities.

Doubt that Disney would be in the buying mood' date=' but the McGraw Hill stations could be a good fit for them. 3 of the 4 stations are in good markets, plus it would give Disney/ABC control over all of the ABC stations in California's major cities.[/quote']

Uh, you forgot that Gannett owns Sacramento ABC affiliate KXTV. However, ABC would own 4 of the 5 major city affiliates if that would occur.

I am going to say this. Although it would be nice for WJLA to become an ABC O&O, this has been a pike dream ever since I have been in the board since 2004. I would probably say that the Church of Ladder Day Saints has a better chance (.5%) of buying WJLA than ABC (.25%). Unless you are strapped for cash, you wouldnt sell a top 10 station or your flagship. There is no way in hell Allbritton does that unless everything is going hell in a handbasket.

Archived