NBC O&O Rebranding On Hold?

Jess

Makes me wonder how this will work in Chicago.. Because Comcast SportsNet Chicago is more tied in with WFLD FOX Chicago with pretty much no connection/ties to WMAQ NBC 5. FOX Chicago uses some of CSN Chicago's talent and shares coverage from time to time. Will they be breaking ties for good with FOX Chicago? But yet, FOX Chicago and NBC 5 both share their choppers and news video/coverage so maybe they will continue their partnership somehow not having the "NBC" name in it on the FOX end.

Will Comcast SportsNet Chicago be moving into the NBC Tower from their current home? Comcast SportsNet Chicago took over FOX SportsNet Chicago back in 2006, studios, facilities, shows, rights, property, equipment, everything.. It would make economic sense moving into the NBC Tower since they indeed have plenty of space for them and it would be one less expensive lease for the company..

The future of the SportsNets has been one of the major things I've been wondering about since the details of the merger came out, since sports coverage has obviously always been one of the core interests of the company since at least 1996. Even if it's going to be NBC SportsNet or something like that, it's still a major part of the company and I think the first thing they wanted to do was to look at integrating the SNs with the O&Os.

I can see them breaking ties with Fox Chicago, to be quite honest. Here in Philadelphia we're already seeing some synergy between CSN and 10; 10 now plugs events on SportsNet, and SportsNet was plugging the Flyers games on NBC as airing on "NBC 10" (before it was a generic "on NBC"). I've seen a few reports where they interview a guy and it looks like one guy is holding up 10 and CSN mics, and 10 has achieved the impossible and started to use CSN highlights in HD. On the other hand, there hasn't been personality overlap - I think 10's traffic reporter has popped up on there at times, but we're not seeing Michael Barkann on 10, we're not seeing Vai and John on SportsNet, and we're not seeing things like Bowtie give a weather forecast on SportsNet.

I don't know about facilities in Chicago, but in Philadelphia there's an interesting situation. CSN Philly is based out of studios at the CoreStates Wells Fargo Center at the South Philadelphia financial district sports complex. WCAU is based at its 1950s-era purpose built studio across the street from channel 6 in Bala Cynwyd. There's no leasing at either location since the First Union Wells Fargo Center is obviously a Comcast property, and as far as I'm aware NBC owns and fully occupies the WCAU facilities. (10's former radio sisters moved out several years ago.)

That being said, Comcast is headquartered out of a giant new gleaming USB-stick of a skyscraper in the center of town that presumably is set up for television broadcasting, and there's always been rumors or gossip going around that Versus, at least, was going to originate from there. I don't know if the backoffice functions are in Philly or not, but I'm pretty sure they're still coming from Connecticut (and with a name change to "NBC Sports" or something like that looming, 30 Rock is realistically more likely than Philly at this point).

It's not out of the question that one of Comcast's stations would move to the headquarters building but I'm not sure if it's at all likely. I don't know how much of a concern space is at either of those two stations - CSN seems to live comfortably at the Wachovia Wells Fargo Center, and 10's building is pretty big. So while I can see an on-air consolidation I'm not entirely sure on if they'll move in together or not.

Hopefully she gives the other nine stations in the group something they've desperately have needed since 2002, all their own local creative services departments.

Double-posting just for a correction; the local art departments were axed in 03, but all of the stations still had dedicated Creative Services departments until 2009. They are desperately needed however,

• 1 month later...

any updates? I've checked the various NBC local stations websites and if the weather video is any hint to if the stations have changed to the new look, the only one's I've noticed are NBC San Diego, and partly NBC Connecticut.... I believe San Diego has made the full switch to the new look whereas Connecticut has only upgraded the weather segments and continue to use the 'Look-C' package and logo that was introduced when they moved to the NBC Connecticut HD studio in 2009.

NBC San Diego made the full switchover.

NBC Connecticut made changes to weather graphics.

Noone else as of yet has made drastic changes, although NBC Miami and NBC Philadelphia have made modifications to their Look C looks.

• 1 month later...

WMAQ here in Chicago desperately needs a new look. They're still using the graphics from when they went HD in early 2008. At the time, I heard they were only supposed to be temporary, but instead they've been around for years. It's just such a stale, washed out look. Some of the graphics don't even animate properly, and their usage of The Tower has been erratic since 2008. Back then, they used the morning cuts in the evening; now I've heard the evening cuts in the morning. I just wish something would change there rather than the station just sitting in limbo for all these years.

WMAQ here in Chicago desperately needs a new look. They're still using the graphics from when they went HD in early 2008. At the time, I heard they were only supposed to be temporary, but instead they've been around for years. It's just such a stale, washed out look. Some of the graphics don't even animate properly, and their usage of The Tower has been erratic since 2008. Back then, they used the morning cuts in the evening; now I've heard the evening cuts in the morning. I just wish something would change there rather than the station just sitting in limbo for all these years.

...And the talent needs work, too!

I liked Dick and Ellie in the mornings, but I just cannot get used to Pretty Boy and the Latina chick. They'll always be weekend morning anchors in my book. I do like Marion Brooks over the eternally happy (perky) Allison Rosati, but she's likely gonna have the chair until retirement. And then there's Rob Stafford...I have three words to describe him:

WET.

PAINT.

DRYING.

I didn't mind him for a couple shows on the weekends with Anna "Aren't you glad you're at Fox" Davlantes, but three broadcasts, five days a week is just way too much of nothing. I'm still disappointed that "Mr. Smug" Sirott left and Dick Johnson got passed over for Stafford, but I realize that his name probably didn't help his chances (wink-wink).

I apologize to anyone who is offended by the wise-cracks and name-calling, but it's so frustrating that a news division with excellent reporting and mostly competent management has become stuck in such a rut...in desparate need for a change. Head-honcho Larry Wert deserves a boat-load of credit for helping WMAQ recover after the Springer debacle in '97, but the man is set in his ways (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and he needs to go. Rarely is "change for the sake of change" a good idea, but NBC5 is an acception.

Somewhat related to the rebranding that's on hiatus...

I noticed that NBC Sports has unveiled a revised logo, and the Versus sports channel will soon rebrand as the NBC Sports Network. But take a look at the before and after of the logos:

nbc_sports_logo.gif

What's interesting about this is that "NBC" is not set in NBC's customized version of Futura that's been in use since the mid 80s, but is rather set in Nobel, the typeface of the shelved new NBC Local Media look. Maybe I'm just looking into this more than I should as a typography enthusiast, but maybe the NBC Sports brand will be extended into the CSNs, and perhaps we will in fact see the rest of the new look that uses Nobel?

Somewhat related to the rebranding that's on hiatus...

I noticed that NBC Sports has unveiled a revised logo, and the Versus sports channel will soon rebrand as the NBC Sports Network. But take a look at the before and after of the logos:

nbc_sports_logo.gif

What's interesting about this is that "NBC" is not set in NBC's customized version of Futura that's been in use since the mid 80s, but is rather set in Nobel, the typeface of the shelved new NBC Local Media look. Maybe I'm just looking into this more than I should as a typography enthusiast, but maybe the NBC Sports brand will be extended into the CSNs, and perhaps we will in fact see the rest of the new look that uses Nobel?

I don't think you'll see much of anything with the CSNs as far as change is concerned. They just got a new in-game graphics package last fall. When the new NBC Sports launches in January you should if anything maybe see that look more in-sync to the CSN look than anything else.

The Sports logo; I know that's Rage Italic on the left, but what that font on the right with the Cursive Sports logo?

It's actually a custom script font designed specifically for NBC - they actually noted that in the press release. I'm also inclined to believe that the "NBC" part is custom designed - Nobel's being used all over WCAU promotions at the moment, and the new logo doesn't match the examples I've seen on air. Personally I would have gone for a rethink of that logo than a refresh, though getting rid of that EXTREMELY tired early 90s logo is nothing but a plus.

As far as the Comcast SportsNets are concerned, they're not planning to rename them in the near future. However, they did say they were going to refresh the graphics and inject them with "NBC production values". Which I don't understand, because CSN's production values, at least here, are EXTREMELY high (they use flashy 3D Viz stuff now).

Which brings me to this fun thought: maybe this means the CSNs start using NBC Sports music? Yes, I'm specifically thinking of "Roundball Rock" and their equally awesome NHL theme...

About the NBC Sports logo: I definitely see the difference. The NBC font is changed greatly and the Sports font changed to a fiesty, more modern font and the Peacock is...well...cooler.(?) I like it and can't wait for January for the NBCS network to debut.

By the way, how's it going with the NBC O&O logo sitchu?

WMAQ has a graphic artist position open, and the listing asks for people with experience with a Chyron Infinit. Which might explain why the graphics have never been updated.

I don't think you'll see much of anything with the CSNs as far as change is concerned. They just got a new in-game graphics package last fall. When the new NBC Sports launches in January you should if anything maybe see that look more in-sync to the CSN look than anything else.

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.whois.net/whois/csnphilly.com

http://www.whois.net/whois/nbcsportsphiladelphia.com

Not saying; just saying.

The CSNs will be re-branded in accordance to the markets they serve.

ie. NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Chicago, etc.

While not totally surprising, I couldn't find the story online...where did you hear/see this?

There was an article a few months back - between their initial announcement that they were rebranding Versus and the recent announcement where they revealed it was becoming NBC Sports - that ComcastNBC was going to rename the RSNs to "NBC Sports Philadlephia".

However, since that article was published, Comcast has since come out and said that CSN was staying as the name.

There was an article a few months back - between their initial announcement that they were rebranding Versus and the recent announcement where they revealed it was becoming NBC Sports - that ComcastNBC was going to rename the RSNs to "NBC Sports Philadlephia".

However, since that article was published, Comcast has since come out and said that CSN was staying as the name.

That's what I thought!

There was an article a few months back - between their initial announcement that they were rebranding Versus and the recent announcement where they revealed it was becoming NBC Sports - that ComcastNBC was going to rename the RSNs to "NBC Sports Philadlephia". However, since that article was published, Comcast has since come out and said that CSN was staying as the name.

This the article you're referring to?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/Comcast-Sports-Net-to-soon-become-NBC-Sports-Philadelphia.html

So just so everyone is clear on my post.

1. I know about that article that says they were then they weren't then they were then they weren't going to become NBC Sports [City/Region].

2. The registrant of record for NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com is the same corporate domain agent for CSNPhilly.com. The same agent, btw, that handles domains for Comcast.

While I'm aware of the article, you've also got to remember that Comcast's goal moving forward is removing its brand from its child companies -- notably Comcast cable becoming Xfinity. They want Comcast to become the new GE so to speak; this is at least what people I know that know other people are telling me.

The CSNs are becoming NBC Sports. I'd put $2 on it...

So just so everyone is clear on my post.

1. I know about that article that says they were then they weren't then they were then they weren't going to become NBC Sports [City/Region].

2. The registrant of record for NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com is the same corporate domain agent for CSNPhilly.com. The same agent, btw, that handles domains for Comcast.

While I'm aware of the article, you've also got to remember that Comcast's goal moving forward is removing its brand from its child companies -- notably Comcast cable becoming Xfinity. They want Comcast to become the new GE so to speak; this is at least what people I know that know other people are telling me.

The CSNs are becoming NBC Sports. I'd put $2 on it...

Two whole dollars!!! ;)

Just kidding...

Archived