NBC O&O Rebranding On Hold?

Jess

So I posted about the new O&O division president yesterday and I surmised that the much-anticipated (or much-dreaded) new look might be derailed by the change in leadership.

According to this FTVLive article from Friday, I might not be that far off the mark. I know it's from a "gossip site" and should be taken with a grain of salt, but since A.) FTV's sources at NBC are good (as evidenced by their Conan/Leno scoops) and B.) John Wallace was kicked to the IT department three days after this ran, I think there's a lot of truth to this. Yeah, they've mislabeled the Nonstops as "cable operations" when they're technically not, but I gotta go with their track record on this.

Here's the article below. I've bolded the parts that are pertinent to us. And if you like what you see, subscribe!

Comcast Brass Turn Focus to NBC O&O's

NBC sources tell FTVLive that the Comcast Suits are extremely concerned by how the NBC O&O's are branding and marketing themselves. They hold out WNBC as a particularly acute example.The noon program on WNBC 4 is a show called the "Nonstop Rundown," a painful half hour in which the anchors ad lib without scripts before throwing to day old packages. The show is called the "Nonstop Rundown," yet it first airs on WNBC before it gets rerun on WNBC's cable station, "New York Nonstop." Comcast execs think this confuses the viewers. There is concern that WNBC is paying more attention to its cable operation than to its broadcast operation, which of course reaches millions more potential viewers.

Comcast execs in L.A. are also puzzled about the logos painted on the KNBC 4 news vans. There is no Ch. 4 anywhere to be seen on the vans. The signs painted on the trucks read "NBC LA," which the Comcast people say is confusing.

Last but not least, there are growing doubts as to whether KNBC's cable operation called "California Nonstop" will ever debut. O&O chief John Wallace announced that "California Nonstop" would debut on January 17th, but it has been put off indefinitely. There is speculation that the delay is due to Wallace waiting to hear if Comcast supports the venture. But there is also speculation that the channel is bogged down with managerial problems. Vickie Burns, the manager in charge of "California Nonstop," was also in charge of the launch of "New York Nonstop," whose debut was delayed more than six months back in 2009.

Stay tuned.

My takeaway from this? Well, it's obvious that the new look's rollout has been delayed, and Comcast is the one that's been holding things up. It's also clear that Comcast is taking a hard look at the branding of their newly acquired broadcast stations. If they saw the KNBC news vans and asked "where is the 4?", I'd imagine they looked at the other stations and went "why are you using three names on your newscast?" or "why are you promoting syndicated programming as 'NBC'?"

Do I think they'll ultimately launch the new look? Yes, but at this point I think they have to be retooling it so that everybody outside of San Diego, Bay Area, and Connecticut keeps their channel numbers. I also think that it's not out of the question that they'd retool the look for the existing station logos or even drop it entirely, but I doubt they'd do that at this point.

Still, at least it's becoming clearer why this look isn't out yet.

I've been assuming that Comcast had something to do with it, especially since it seems NBC was hastily attempting to get the new look out (this is evidenced by the mismatched branding everywhere) before the sale went through.

Yeah, the new look probably will happen eventually (my guess is during the summer), but not before it's fixed of all the problems introduced by people who were probably looking to add an extra bullet point to their resume before Comcast shows them the door.

didn't they solve the channel numbers from this:

NUP_143759_0012.JPG

to this...

NUP_143759_0013.JPG

just kidding.

but this definetly one of the worst imaging campaigns for O&Os. Ever. For WNBC, their online campaigns, billboards, short-term promos (like the St. Patty's parade promo) had the new logo but the primary on-air is still the 1992 "4 NBC" logo.

They should of just kept this with the nonstop channels, not the primaries. Or they should of thought more about it before airing it.

wnbc-tinyonline.jpg.0480fd24b9ee5d608ef6c64000d216b2.jpg

KXAS too is having that identity problem, only in promos. They still refer to themselves as NBC 5. However the have a mix of promos (as shown in the WNBC attached photo) with the new orange NBC DFW logo and then some with the NBC 5 star logo.

But KXAS did go through the trouble of putting up a new lighted NBC DFW logo in their newsroom. Previous logo was the current NBC 5 star logo.

but this definetly one of the worst imaging campaigns for O&Os. Ever. For WNBC, their online campaigns, billboards, short-term promos (like the St. Patty's parade promo) had the new logo but the primary on-air is still the 1992 "4 NBC" logo.

They should of just kept this with the nonstop channels, not the primaries. Or they should of thought more about it before airing it.

Honestly, that logo animation I've seen on the promos posted online looks all the world like they made it for "NBC NEW YORK".... then someone told them "can you put a 4 there please?"

I think the chief problem is the centralized creative services thing in New York, which I think at this point you'd have to call a disaster. I mean, they accomplished their goal of "save money" but the other half was apparently making the branding more consistent, coherent, and cutting edge. Instead, we have bizarre, barely local promos that manage to look "artsy" while failing to actually promote the product, and channel logos and branding that appear to change by the day.

It's even more embarrassing when you look at WCAU, which still has a creative services department (since it's become an ad agency and production studio). They've managed to produce a great campaign using more or less the same idea, while keeping the name and branding more or less consistent. It's pretty telling that, on air, the people at the station seem to have a better grasp on their look and feel than anything seen on the corporate website. Which not only fails to promote the actual station to advertisers, but also uses a logo that looks like the revised NBC 4 New York logo on one of the pages.

I think this campaign will launch, but I also think Comcast is going to roll back a lot of John Wallace's brilliant ideas. Promos will promote shows on the actual station and not NBC, nonstop will not trump the primary channel, and they'll go back to being local stations instead of local media brands. I also can see them bringing local promo departments back - I mean they pretty much have to at this point given how badly this centralized thing has screwed things up.

I think Philly will be next to roll out the new look. They seem to have put a lot into the new campaign (probly because they do still have their creative services team). And their new NBC 10 Philadelphia logo really doesn't look bad.

I just hope other markets like NY, LA, Chicago and Dallas do go in a different direction before they launch the new look. New graphics won't make or break these stations, but losing solid brand identity likely won't help them. Their existing logos, while most of them are pretty simple, are all solid and well-established. Rolling out the new look as originally planned, with no regard to local markets, would be bad for these stations. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

From what I hear, word is the launch of the new look/image is on hold now. They want to get the stations together and have some meetings, get everyone on the same page, and see where to go from here. A couple stations were already asked to pull some things involving the new image (what exactly and which stations, I don't know) off the air already. What, if anything, from the image is going forward is unknown at the moment.. However, the big issue with the hole rollout seems to have to do with the stations' identities. The feeling many are having are that new people up top aren't even a big fan of the new look/image at all and the feeling even goes back to when Comcast poking around before the "official sale". Even the new music was recently mentioned and they aren't liking it..

This could really end up being a good thing happening to the stations. The company may actually go back to the realization that a creative/graphics department, team, or even just 1 or 2 people are needed at the stations. Things may just be starting to look up for the stations since Staab plans to be taking a more active approach by listening to the stations and their needs. I think the stations will be heading in a new direction now and away from the "cheap bastard style" of the previous.

From what I hear, word is the launch of the new look/image is on hold now. They want to get the stations together and have some meetings, get everyone on the same page, and see where to go from here. A couple stations were already asked to pull some things involving the new image (what exactly and which stations, I don't know) off the air already. What, if anything, from the image is going forward is unknown at the moment.. However, the big issue with the hole rollout seems to have to do with the stations' identities. The feeling many are having are that new people up top aren't even a big fan of the new look/image at all and the feeling even goes back to when Comcast poking around before the "official sale". Even the new music was recently mentioned and they aren't liking it..

This could really end up being a good thing happening to the stations. The company may actually go back to the realization that a creative/graphics department, team, or even just 1 or 2 people are needed at the stations. Things may just be starting to look up for the stations since Staab plans to be taking a more active approach by listening to the stations and their needs. I think the stations will be heading in a new direction now and away from the "cheap bastard style" of the previous.

I don't think the new look is on hold for everyone cause all signs are pointing to WCAU launching the look today (see WCAU thread in the Philly forum).

So which station's music is the one they don't like? KNSD?

So which station's music is the one they don't like? KNSD?

All the new NBC O&O "blah" library sounding music that goes along with the whole rebranding/image. It's used on the Non-stop stations but it's also supposed to be used on the newscasts too along with the new image. Most of the stations don't like it either..

All the new NBC O&O "blah" library sounding music that goes along with the whole rebranding/image. It's used on the Non-stop stations but it's also supposed to be used on the newscasts too along with the new image. Most of the stations don't like it either..

Our Nonstop doesn't use it at all. It's all cuts from the Gari package.

Our Nonstop doesn't use it at all. It's all cuts from the Gari package.

To management (above station level), they can't tell the difference between it all. They aren't like us knowing the names of packages, composers, etc. It all sounds the same to them. They either like something or they don't and I don't think they like any of the new music (Gari or whoever). I'm just curious to see/know what is going to happen out of all this..

Yeah WVIT recently got a new weather computer and when that launched the new graphics launched there. The only other "new" elements on WVIT are the HD sidewings and main opens with that same "montage" look we've seen on KNSD, but with a badly spliced logo animation tacked on the end.

1. Steve Burke -- in charge of NBCU -- ran ABC network/stations before coming to Comcast in the late 90s

2. Steve's father was President of Capital Cities

3. Comcast is very sensitive about maintaining the integrity of the local broadcast stations for regulatory purposes. FCC is watching like a hawk, and anything that gives the perception they are trying to dilute broadcast in favor of cable raises flags.

Thus, we hire on of the most capable Cap Cities / ABC stations execs left. Steve and Valari likely know each other from ABC. She ran creative services for WPVI in the 90s and was a GM at WTVD while he was running ABC.

Expect NBCU stations to take pages out of the time tested Cap Cities/ABC playbook...as CBS and FOX did with Swanson...and NBC once did in the 90s with him.

Cable side of it / nonstop will probably get to play around, but the stations will get back to basics and have dollars to invest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Former Member 207

On the way home from work this evening, I just saw an ad on one of the local buses for KNBC, and the new logo was modified to include the "4".

Of course, about a week ago, new billboards for the Ellen DeGeneres show doesn't have the new "NBC (4) LA" logo, but instead just a generic NBC Peacock logo.

• 2 weeks later...

Big question:

Is the new NBC O&O graphics based on their local "Nonstop" channels or NBC's current "More Colorful" campaign?

It's a hybrid of the two. If you look at the Nonstop graphics there are elements of the more color look in them.

If you check out the animation of the new station logos, the animation comes right from the backdrop of more color look.

Sort of unrelated, but it looks like they're rebranding Comcast SportsNet as "NBC Sports ":

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=149913&nid=126425

You have to wonder how this new brand would tie in with the O&Os and the affiliates.

Makes me wonder how this will work in Chicago.. Because Comcast SportsNet Chicago is more tied in with WFLD FOX Chicago with pretty much no connection/ties to WMAQ NBC 5. FOX Chicago uses some of CSN Chicago's talent and shares coverage from time to time. Will they be breaking ties for good with FOX Chicago? But yet, FOX Chicago and NBC 5 both share their choppers and news video/coverage so maybe they will continue their partnership somehow not having the "NBC" name in it on the FOX end.

Will Comcast SportsNet Chicago be moving into the NBC Tower from their current home? Comcast SportsNet Chicago took over FOX SportsNet Chicago back in 2006, studios, facilities, shows, rights, property, equipment, everything.. It would make economic sense moving into the NBC Tower since they indeed have plenty of space for them and it would be one less expensive lease for the company..

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that NBC sticks with look C and maybe tweak it a bit instead of going with the new look?

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that NBC sticks with look C and maybe tweak it a bit instead of going with the new look?

I doubt it being that the new look is the look of the station group (just go to NBC Local Media's website). What you will probably see though is stations that want to keep their channel numbers will have their logos modified with it like WNBC now uses on air. You have to keep in mind an ass load of money has already been spent on this whole campaign so it's not going to go to waste. I do like that they put the brakes on it and sat down and are thinking it through so all parties involved come out happy instead of going out and releasing a total trainwreck cause from what it looked like, WCAU was going to be the only station in the group that actually would have used this thing well while all the others looked like cookie cutter garbage. This was of course before the new O&O president took over. Hopefully she gives the other nine stations in the group something they've desperately have needed since 2002, all their own local creative services departments.

Archived