Greatest News Opens of all time

Guest cfif

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss This is Your News, especially the orchestral cut that WBNS had been using continuously ‎ since 2003 on the late news. One of the best compositions of Gari, I think. Now, it was replaced by Stephen Arnold's Aerial, which of course it's a great package too.

Here´s a complete newscast from 2014.

This package appears as a bed to announce what´s coming up next and in transition bumpers.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal top 3 - yes, I am 'old school':

10 Eyewitness News 1989

KHON 2 News Honolulu 1996

ITN News at Ten 1989

Honorable mentions to

and the
. All clips were taped by me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pre-show teaser rather than an open, but I think it's just wonderful -- the music fits, the anchors' delivery is pitch-perfect, and the writing is great (even rhythmic in parts):

You little whipper-snappers failed to mention Frank Devol and his Journal Nacional theme music that ran for 40 years....

Frank also did many movie scores along with the music for The Brady Bunch, Family Affair and many other TV shows..

Here is his famous news theme called "The Fuzz"

Where else have you heard that news theme???

[MEDIA=vimeo]140461619[/MEDIA]

This is also newscast perfection for me - the newscast they would have on Mars ;) - Jornal da Record:

Jornal da Record (@1:10)

| Hear extended audio of the theme here.

Stateside, the WCPO theme - in the promo @0:30 - is pure dope. (The actual open is OK, but I would love to hear a clean cut of that audio!)

Incredible KDKA open from 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rgoHyxaIs

And lastly - although probably not to U.S. tastes - the "demonic" electronic theme for ITN News at One in '89 (long close @0:39) blew me away as a kid:

Don't know if this was posted here, but here's a 1989 11 P.M. opening from KGTV (Channel 10, ABC San Diego) that I really liked; Charlie Van Dyke was the V/O.

Charlie: "KGTV, San Diego. Now at 11:00: Carol LeBeau... Kimberly Hunt... Michael Tuck's Perspective... Captain Mike's weather... Larry Sacknoff on sports. This is San Diego's news leader: 10 News Nightcast."

RAI DUE in 1989 could barely be more minimalist, but even as a kid when I recorded this clip, I thought this was special - the bold nothingness was so damn cool! (and this is for WWUpdate :cool:)

BBC News 1990 - others described the this '89 look as 'sinister' and 'Nazi-like'... I remember it as quite stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfZwpGziz5I

NBC Nightly News 1990 - and as a fan of old-style minimalism, sure it may have zero graphics, but I love the simplicity and immediacy of this open: ;)

...although

• 1 year later...

Archived