Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

This is a big find: KGTV 1986 newscast with "News 88"! I wonder if the "News 88" title is even accurate at this point?? Maybe a spin-off of "The News Image"?

The title "News 88" was in use as early as 1985 and I have proof if you want it (actually ancillary from something else). KGTV likely commissioned a 1988 update package to it (the TVbD opens).

Note its use alongside News Image elements, and also some changes to the set from how it looked in this clip.

1983 Savannah, GA Local Commercials -

(At 2:01 is a WJCL newsbreak with an unknown theme, at 4:27 is a promo for Catherine Cooper on WSAV's "NewsCenter 3" featuring Telesound's "And You" and at 7:02 is a set of WTOC news promos featuring Angela Gale and Pat Prokop)

Something different... While you guys were growing up 'stateside', here's some of the stuff I grew up with out of London:

ITN News at Ten 1989:

The London Programme 1989:

ITN News at One 1989:

ITN News at 5:40

ITN Morning News at 5AM, Zeinab Badawi and ITN's epic news theme, 1989:

BBC 'Six O'Clock News' 1989:

mqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvwdUmaBDZ4

BBC '9 O'Clock News' 1990:

BBC '9 O'Clock News' 1988

..and Channel 4 Treasure Hunt, 1988 - a classic open:

Yeah, the KSDK "1981" theme (not KSD, the callsign change was in 1979, NMSA did fix that) is almost certainly not from 1981. In fact, from what I can tell KSDK used it *after* the 1984 theme, around 1985-86. (The most notable clip of it online is from their evening report of the Challenger disaster.)

Technically, the NMSA has no date assigned to when the KSDK 1981 theme was used by KOTV. It's left blank.

I've prodded him before to move it but it's never happened. I assumed it would have been correct for the c1990 period just based on the fact that Doc Morgan was the VO for KOTV by this time.

And CBC Manitoba "News at Noon", 1982:

The news theme in that clip is a piece of production music from KPM called "Gathering Crowds." It was used by ABC in the mid-'70s as the theme for the ABC Evening News albeit in a heavily edited form, essentially looping a section near the middle of the piece that sounds like the opening several seconds, as seen in the following clip:

A great look at El Paso TV news in the late '80s and early '90s.

I've seen most of the blooper reels but I did not see that snippet. What's interesting is they had a different theme as well which you can also hear on that clip.

One of the blooper reels has a KDBC 1990 theme but out of pitch; I actually sent a corrected pitch version to the NMSA (I did audio correction myself based on the VO) but it has never been put up. It's gotta be among the worst news themes, in my book at least.

Two WLOX clips:

From 1979: Their coverage of Hurricane Frederic's landfall on the Ala./Miss. border.

From 1984: A network premier clip from WLOX featuring a young Robin Roberts, Nancy Russo and some of the station's long-time talent. Oh yeah, that KENS 1980s theme too and a cheesy ending.

• Like 3