Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Just when you thought there was enough Terre Haute archive material to fill 15 NewsActive3 parts,

Note the WTWO close from 1988 where it initially says "Teletective News". Oddly enough that name was actually used by WTWO for their newscasts, and they even filed a trademark for it and held it for 20 years! (The listed "First Use" date for this name? May 1969!)

They owned three other trademarks, too:

TV-2 Eyewitness News (listed first use date: April 29, 1973)

TV-2 News and Farm Report

"Mark Allen Is"

These died much quicker, in the 80s.

When I was searching the name I found an eBay listing for this ad (saved because eBay listings don't stick):

DJTqbIJ.png

The date listed is 1973, so this was at the end of this name's run. Note Mark Allen (who spent more time at WTHI). The "2" logo seen here is also present on the first WTWO Eyewitness News close we have available.

We also got World News Openings in the 80s, Part 8...though it might not exactly SOUND like it at the start of the clip! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROT0kdXia5k

By the way, Part 1 of the 70s collection, 4:34 — I think that's some of the oldest Mexico material I've ever seen. It's gotta be 1972 or earlier because it has a Telesistema Mexicano logo. I've done boatloads of Mexico TV research, but I've never, ever, EVER seen that before.

Note the WTWO close from 1988 where it initially says "Teletective News". Oddly enough that name was actually used by WTWO for their newscasts, and they even filed a trademark for it and held it for 20 years! (The listed "First Use" date for this name? May 1969!)

When I lived in Terre Haute in the late 80s/early 90s, "Teletective News" was the name they used for a "call us to help you" series of reports. You know, "I got screwed by my mechanic so I sicced Teletective News on 'em."

When I lived in Terre Haute in the late 80s/early 90s, "Teletective News" was the name they used for a "call us to help you" series of reports. You know, "I got screwed by my mechanic so I sicced Teletective News on 'em."

OK, so they were using that name for something. I kinda got that sense too. Probably helped them keep the trademark.

WFLA 6:00 news open with several familiar Tampa faces, probably 1986. Also note Don Harrison on the voiceover:

I agree on the date. Power News means it has to be 1985 or later, and there's no 3D compared to 1988, but the red-white-blue scheme is there.

Heck, these are the WXFL years, too.

I agree on the date. Power News means it has to be 1985 or later, and there's no 3D compared to 1988, but the red-white-blue scheme is there.

Heck, these are the WXFL years, too.

It's definitely 1986 or later because David Grant came to the station after Bob Baron left in 1986.

• 2 weeks later...

If it hasn't been posted before, here's a pretty clear video clip which inlcudes an open from the era:

Impressive indeed. This era of KIRO probably tops my lists of "way ahead of its time" and "best orchestral news theme".

That's also a variant not seen before — and since the only version we had was from TVNewsThemes, also in much higher quality.

A hat tip to KIRO for posting its own vintage material! This time it's the full 60-second version of "We're Working Together":

(Though they are wrong on the year KIRO TV and radio separated. 1994, not 1993. Had CBS and Gaylord not gotten together KIRO might have stayed with the radio stations, which Bonneville still owns. Bonneville dumped KIRO TV because of its pending loss of CBS affiliation; really they didn't know what to do with a news-intensive independent, so they sold out to Belo. Belo, in turn, sold to Cox when they bought ProJo and KING, in a complicated station trade that involved KIRO, KSTW and KMOV St. Louis.)

Lot of teases and stuff from January 26, 1994 and April 26, 1995 (the January 26, 1994 set includes an Inside Edition report on the NATPE Convention)

April 26, 1995

• WAVY News 10 Promo ("Surprise, You're Rich": focusing on unclaimed money):

• WAVY News 10 Tease (Les Smith plugs a story related to unseen footage from Jurassic Park {most of the April 26, 1995 footage came before and during a special on the Making of Jurassic Park 10 days before the network premiere on NBC}):

• Dateline NBC Promo (focusing on developments one week after the Oklahoma City Bombing):

• WAVY News 10 Tease (Alveta Ewell plugs an update on developments in Oklahoma City one week later):

• WAVY News 10 Tease (Don Slater with the weather):

• Partial episode of ABC's Day One (focusing on Timothy McVeigh's ties to the militia movement):