Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Tornado coverage from WHBQ in 1994 (about a year before the Fox switch). Includes open.

That's kinda cheap looking. Right before the switch WHBQ had only a 6pm and 10pm newscast and the market's smallest news staff.

More wonderful Phoenix clips from Lottoman17...

KTVK, a wonderful combined World News Tonight / Eyewitness News promo featuring Frank Reynolds, 1981:

KTVK, newsbreak, 1987:

KTVK, sports promo, 1981:

(BTW, who is the person doing the v/o? I think I recognize the voice from CNN promos of the 1980s and '90s.)

Still more...

KTVK, news promo, 1989:

That's the same v/o person who did KTVK's news opens, right?

KTVK, promo with Oprah Winfrey and Cameron Harper, 1987:

Another KTVK newsbreak, this one from 1989:

KPNX, 10 p.m. news, 1982 (now with Hello News):

KPNX, news promo, 1981:

KPNX, news promo, 1985 (a full minute of "We're going where you're going"):

KPNX, news promo, 1981:

KPNX, news promo, 1981 (w/ Tom Brokaw):

KPNX, news promo, 1984 (also w/ Tom Brokaw):

More brand-new KPNX clip on Lottoman17's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lottoman17/videos

I love those KPNX 1981 clips, because it takes the voiceover of Mr. NBC himself Danny Dark, and meshes it with It's All Right Here from Peters Productions. For promos and news opens, you got yourself a powerful combo for Channel 12

Note the odd linear 1 that they used in the 80-81 era. That 60 second version of WGWYG is one of the most amazing things I've heard in a while.

Indeed. Both the "1" and the "Action News" font in those 1981 were different from the design used before and since. (And it even then, it was used inconsistently. The "12" in the lower-thirds is the traditional design.)

Here are two clips of KPNX -- or KTAR as it was known at the time -- from 1978:

Indeed. Both the "1" and the "Action News" font in those 1981 were different from the design used before and since. (And it even then, it was used inconsistently. The "12" in the lower-thirds is the traditional design.)

I suspect this debuted with the Proud N/peacock combo in 1980 — Serif Gothic was the network house typeface at the time, and local promos showed a 12/peacock lockup.