Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That's definitely another rendition with a more 80s instrumentation. It dates to 1988.

The newscast continues here:

Also...a snippet of KTVK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9G_rctDSe0Y;t=359

That clip also has a snippet of a KYMA news report and a KYEL telethon.

None of the other videos has significant TV material.

More clips from the 1994 July/August Indiana/Illinois trip, plus a few leftovers from the Atlanta/Charlotte trip (earlier posts).

[MEDIA=vimeo]244462682[/MEDIA]

Few Comments;

- I totally disagree with WHBQ's slogan

- KFVS had the same graphics back in 1987

- I'm still a big fan of the Everyday News Package

Jim

• Like 5

Wow, that KODE open is really, really underwhelming. It's barely an open! (But sheesh, Joplin material!)

Also, who wore it better, WHBQ or KCRA?

P.S. "The Look of a Leader" has never been trademarked. I guess someone was jealous of "Where the News Comes First"...

• Like 1

More clips from the 1994 July/August Indiana/Illinois trip, plus a few leftovers from the Atlanta/Charlotte trip (earlier posts).

Few Comments;

Jim

That WHBQ open I’ve never seen before. I wonder if that is a new news theme they’re using or if it’s production music?

Also, I’d like to know if you have any Omaha or Salt Lake City anywhere. That would be cool if you do (especially KTVX).

• Like 1

Few Comments;

Jim

That WHBQ open I’ve never seen before. I wonder if that is a new news theme they’re using or if it’s production music?

Also, I’d like to know if you have any Omaha or Salt Lake City anywhere. That would be cool if you do (especially KTVX).

I have some SLC which I'm posting soon (probably tomorrow) and have posted all Omaha that I believe I have. (But then again, one never knows what one will find on an unlabeled tape - and I have lots of them!)

Jim

• Like 2

Few Comments;

Jim

Hey Jim! The news open compilations are great. I have a request: Do you have anymore newscasts or news opens from Knoxville? Would love to see some more.

Hey Jim! The news open compilations are great. I have a request: Do you have anymore newscasts or news opens from Knoxville? Would love to see some more.

Somewhere I have the WTVK newscast that's been around the trading circuit, and just pulled some 2004 newscasts off of DVD, but that's about it from Knoxville. Now that I'm back home from Thanksgiving, back to getting stuff off of tape and DVD...

• Like 1

Jim, I also have a request: Do you have any more newscasts or news open montages from D/FW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and/or other small market

newscasts or news open montages from Beaumont, Lubbock, Waco, Tyler, Amarillo, Abilene, Midland-Odessa, and El Paso? As a native Texan, I would love

to see more.

• Like 1

Wow, that KODE open is really, really underwhelming. It's barely an open! (But sheesh, Joplin material!)

Also, who wore it better, WHBQ or KCRA?

P.S. "The Look of a Leader" has never been trademarked. I guess someone was jealous of "Where the News Comes First"...

WHBQ's version was dirt poor compared to KCRA, and it was back when the station was trying to go for a "hard news" look on the cheap. My guess is someone at Adams really liked what Kelly Broadcasting was doing at the time and wanted to mimic it.

• Like 4

WHBQ's version was dirt poor compared to KCRA, and it was back when the station was trying to go for a "hard news" look on the cheap. My guess is someone at Adams really liked what Kelly Broadcasting was doing at the time and wanted to mimic it.

I find the slogan choice laughable. Fox rescued this station more than a lot of people realize. Heck right before the affiliation switch WHBQ had just two daily newscasts at 6 and 10.

• Like 5

Here’s a KSNW news segment with a logo I haven’t seen before...

They had a similar (if not the same) 3 inside a square/rectangle (along with 2, 8 & 11 for the rest of the KSN) when they were using NewsWire... Never saw inside a circle...

J

One of today's tapes is from my Gulf Coast trip to the Florida Panhandle in July 1995.

[MEDIA=vimeo]244566783[/MEDIA]

WEAR 5pm; WMBB 5pm; WTVY 6pm; WDHN 10pm; WHOA (Promo); WEAR 6pm; WJHG 5pm; WPMI 6am; WALA 10pm; KLFY 12pm ("Meet Your Neighbor"); WLOX 4pm; WLOX 5pm; WKRG 6pm; KATC 5:30pm; WMBB 11am; WTVY 5pm; WJHG 6pm; WPGX 9pm (Audio Only); WSFA 10pm; WALA 10pm (again...)

Notes: WHOA is just a promo for their 5pm anchor, but I don't recognize the music; WPGX is audio only - due to Summer Gulf Tropo, WFTS in Tampa in was splattering all over the signal (plus probably WTGS/Savannah was in the mix) - at least I caught the audio and some of the station ID slide...; I'm guessing WPMI was "starting out" their news operation by this time, as they became the NBC affiliate on Jan. 1, 1996 - WALA's owners were already linked to Fox by this time (and WLUK was switching in about a month from this point). Cable in Destin at the time had WEAR, WTVY, WJHG, WMBB, and WPMI (these were the only news-producing local stations).

• Like 5

Ok... first of all WDHN’s open is completely bland and low budget compared to what Morris Multimedia’s other news-producing sister station KARK in Little Rock was using (“Signature” with flashy graphic), and that WJHG open has taken lots of cues from WMAR’s before they switched to ABC.

Also WSFA’s open has taken cues from their sister station in Columbia, SC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3RTgg_T_s

I believe that voiceover is Keri Tombazian, as WSFA’s NMSA page credits her as unidentified.

• Like 1