Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

One of today's tapes is from my Gulf Coast trip to the Florida Panhandle in July 1995.

[MEDIA=vimeo]244566783[/MEDIA]

WEAR 5pm; WMBB 5pm; WTVY 6pm; WDHN 10pm; WHOA (Promo); WEAR 6pm; WJHG 5pm; WPMI 6am; WALA 10pm; KLFY 12pm ("Meet Your Neighbor"); WLOX 4pm; WLOX 5pm; WKRG 6pm; KATC 5:30pm; WMBB 11am; WTVY 5pm; WJHG 6pm; WPGX 9pm (Audio Only); WSFA 10pm; WALA 10pm (again...)

Notes: WHOA is just a promo for their 5pm anchor, but I don't recognize the music; WPGX is audio only - due to Summer Gulf Tropo, WFTS in Tampa in was splattering all over the signal (plus probably WTGS/Savannah was in the mix) - at least I caught the audio and some of the station ID slide...; I'm guessing WPMI was "starting out" their news operation by this time, as they became the NBC affiliate on Jan. 1, 1996 - WALA's owners were already linked to Fox by this time (and WLUK was switching in about a month from this point). Cable in Destin at the time had WEAR, WTVY, WJHG, WMBB, and WPMI (these were the only news-producing local stations).

WPGX's newscast was a 5 minute update just before the typical hour long checker-board styled syndicated shows that most smaller Fox affiliates aired after prime-time. WPMI's First Edition was the only newscast-type program aired on the station (other than the 2 minutes updates during prime-time hours) until they became NBC 15 in 96.

• Like 1

One of today's tapes is from my Gulf Coast trip to the Florida Panhandle in July 1995.

[MEDIA=vimeo]244566783[/MEDIA]

WEAR 5pm; WMBB 5pm; WTVY 6pm; WDHN 10pm; WHOA (Promo); WEAR 6pm; WJHG 5pm; WPMI 6am; WALA 10pm; KLFY 12pm ("Meet Your Neighbor"); WLOX 4pm; WLOX 5pm; WKRG 6pm; KATC 5:30pm; WMBB 11am; WTVY 5pm; WJHG 6pm; WPGX 9pm (Audio Only); WSFA 10pm; WALA 10pm (again...)

Notes: WHOA is just a promo for their 5pm anchor, but I don't recognize the music; WPGX is audio only - due to Summer Gulf Tropo, WFTS in Tampa in was splattering all over the signal (plus probably WTGS/Savannah was in the mix) - at least I caught the audio and some of the station ID slide...; I'm guessing WPMI was "starting out" their news operation by this time, as they became the NBC affiliate on Jan. 1, 1996 - WALA's owners were already linked to Fox by this time (and WLUK was switching in about a month from this point). Cable in Destin at the time had WEAR, WTVY, WJHG, WMBB, and WPMI (these were the only news-producing local stations).

Sweet. Now if only you release the miami clips, if any, and i can sleep happily.

What is the WHOA promo theme? It was used in Brazil by SBT for most of the mid-late 90s and early 2000s (except for the CBS Telenotícias tie-in era)...

The WJHG open carries some hints of WMAR from a couple years earlier, too.

WTVY had no business using that 80s world map animation in 1995 (though there's also a hint of WEAR ripoff in that 5pm talent open).

• Like 3

Last one for the weekend...

This one came from a business trip to New Jersey (Philly area) that spanned 2 weeks, and we had a long weekend stuck in the middle - rather than head home, I headed west... (plus into the nearby markets in the evening...). The Ohio/West Virginia part of the trip is coming soon...

- Any idea of the WBOC close music? I don't think it's the same package as the open, but it sounds familiar...

- Gotta love WLYH's Action News open - straight from the 70s, IMHO...

- Looks like KDKA's morning news ran from 6am - 8am at this point.

- Contrary to what the NMSA says, MCTYW aired on WOLF at this time (along with WWLF/56 and WILF/53 - both satellites of WOLF/38).

[MEDIA=vimeo]244581562[/MEDIA]

WCAU 5:30pm; WCAU 6pm; WFMZ 6pm; WMDT 6pm; WBOC 6pm; KYW 11pm; WGAL 5:30pm; WLYH 6pm; WOLF 10pm; WBRE 11pm; WYOU 5pm; WNEP 6pm; WMGM 6pm; NJN 7pm; WPXI 5pm; KDKA 6pm; WTAE 11pm; WPXI 11pm; WPXI 5am; KDKA 6am; WICU 6pm; WSEE 6pm

Also, everyone, I'm not "holding onto" any clips - as I find them, I'm posting them. I have lots of boxes full of video tapes going back 30 years, along with stuff I've already digitized that's already on DVD right now (chekcing to make sure I'm not redigitizing stuff) - I'm trying to get it onto the computer and posted as quickly as I can, but can only go as fast as the process allows:

- VHS/Betamax/8mm > DVD Recorder

- DVD > Computer

- (If clips) editing he raw footage down

- Convert to MP4

- Upload to a hosting site

- Link to the site from TVNewsTalk.net

- Update my webpage (which I am very behind in doing...)

If you've ever followed the process, you understand how long it takes. I've been collecting newscasts for a long time, and processing takes a while for the older stuff...

Jim

• Like 5

Last one for the weekend...

This one came from a business trip to New Jersey (Philly area) that spanned 2 weeks, and we had a long weekend stuck in the middle - rather than head home, I headed west... (plus into the nearby markets in the evening...). The Ohio/West Virginia part of the trip is coming soon...

- Any idea of the WBOC close music? I don't think it's the same package as the open, but it sounds familiar...

- Gotta love WLYH's Action News open - straight from the 70s, IMHO...

- Looks like KDKA's morning news ran from 6am - 8am at this point.

- Contrary to what the NMSA says, MCTYW aired on WOLF at this time (along with WWLF/56 and WILF/53 - both satellites of WOLF/38).

[MEDIA=vimeo]244581562[/MEDIA]

WCAU 5:30pm; WCAU 6pm; WFMZ 6pm; WMDT 6pm; WBOC 6pm; KYW 11pm; WGAL 5:30pm; WLYH 6pm; WOLF 10pm; WBRE 11pm; WYOU 5pm; WNEP 6pm; WMGM 6pm; NJN 7pm; WPXI 5pm; KDKA 6pm; WTAE 11pm; WPXI 11pm; WPXI 5am; KDKA 6am; WICU 6pm; WSEE 6pm

Also, everyone, I'm not "holding onto" any clips - as I find them, I'm posting them. I have lots of boxes full of video tapes going back 30 years, along with stuff I've already digitized that's already on DVD right now (chekcing to make sure I'm not redigitizing stuff) - I'm trying to get it onto the computer and posted as quickly as I can, but can only go as fast as the process allows:

- VHS/Betamax/8mm > DVD Recorder

- DVD > Computer

- (If clips) editing he raw footage down

- Convert to MP4

- Upload to a hosting site

- Link to the site from TVNewsTalk.net

- Update my webpage (which I am very behind in doing...)

If you've ever followed the process, you understand how long it takes. I've been collecting newscasts for a long time, and processing takes a while for the older stuff...

Jim

30 years! Very interesting. And that WICU Open matches the one with WUAB IN Cleveland.

• Like 3

Last set of clips until the weekend... Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Georgia / Alabama / Louisiana - September 1994

[MEDIA=vimeo]244040736[/MEDIA]

Atlanta, Macon, Columbus (GA), Birmingham, Anniston, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Lake Chuck.

Lots of good content there, especially the Atlanta ones. Plus, finally a good quality close to the WSB Image VIII theme.

Wasn't September 12th, 1994, the first day of WAGA as FOX?

• Like 2

Wasn't September 12th, 1994, the first day of WAGA as FOX?

No - but WAGA was dropping CBS programming left and right around that time... CBS This Morning aired on WTLK/14 (out of Rome, GA) - TV Guide in Atlanta had the show on 12/13/14!

• Like 1

No - but WAGA was dropping CBS programming left and right around that time... CBS This Morning aired on WTLK/14 (out of Rome, GA) - TV Guide in Atlanta had the show on 12/13/14!

And from what I read, Price is Right and soaps were airing on WVEU 69 during the transition, which CBS almost bought before Channel 46 caved in and took on CBS, maybe with the identity crisises that 46 has had, maybe CBS now regrets not hooking up with 69?

Some promos from Canal 13 in Buenos Aires (1990) shortly after being bought by Clarín.

At 0:07 there's the a teaser for the evening news, where you can see the opener (a very humble one): thankfully was later reformatted.

This commercial break aired during an episode of Hunter.

I have previously uploaded the last WGNX News at 7:30pm (12/9/94). Two days before the switch to CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=OUk9NzcKCJA;t=16

And this news update is from mid December 1994 when 'GNX (Now 'CGL) now affiliated with CBS.

‘GNX and WBNS were two of Eric Gordon’s first clients for doing the voiceover, back when he wasn’t overused as he is now. Never got why Doug wasn’t used for news/promos - or was he?

Here’s WAGA talking about said affiliation shuffle:

• Like 3

What is the WHOA promo theme? It was used in Brazil by SBT for most of the mid-late 90s and early 2000s (except for the CBS Telenotícias tie-in era)...

The WJHG open carries some hints of WMAR from a couple years earlier, too.

WTVY had no business using that 80s world map animation in 1995 (though there's also a hint of WEAR ripoff in that 5pm talent open).

More Jornal do SBT, but from 1994.

This is really bizarre, but the management at SBT decided that, because they couldn't beat Rede Globo's soaps, they should add these 5-minute updates to fill the schedule and wait until Globo's soaps finished. It looks that the people who watched SBT's soaps were loyal Globo viewers!

• Like 1

January 20, 1981, was a momentous news day: In the space of a few hours, Ronald Reagan was inaugurated and the American hostages in Iran were released. Here's ABC's World News Tonight from that historic day. Note the rarely seen Frankfurt bureau set:

And this is how Antenne 2 in France covered the day's events:

• Like 1

Speaking of elections, this is how the BBC kicked off Election Night '79 (the BBC logo at the beginning of the open was added for the rebroadcast):

For some reason, West German election coverage included live musical interludes, as you can see in this promo for the 1980 election on ZDF:

• Like 2

That's definitely another rendition with a more 80s instrumentation. It dates to 1988.

The newscast continues here:

Also...a snippet of KTVK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9G_rctDSe0Y;t=359

That clip also has a snippet of a KYMA news report and a KYEL telethon.

None of the other videos has significant TV material.

Actually this was composed by Richard harris in 1968.

Here's the original MacArthur park theme.

Go to 4:53.

• Like 2

Speaking of elections, this is how the BBC kicked off Election Night '79 (the BBC logo at the beginning of the open was added for the rebroadcast):

For some reason, West German election coverage included live musical interludes, as you can see in this promo for the 1980 election on ZDF:

I really like the BBC election theme. It should have been remixed.

• Like 3