Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Here's a random news segment of WLTV from 1991.

Boy, it's so hard to find old local Spanish content from back in the day such as Univision. I know this maybe off topic, but if you guys were trying to find hard to find videos of old local news content, what's the best way to find them besides circulating tapes?

Sorry if I'm asking, but I'm not a professional when it comes to find hard to reach very rare old news videos.

• Like 1

WAGA, Atlanta; 11 p.m., 1981:

I believe that set of opens debuted when Forrest Sawyer took over for Chuck Moore, and then the branding became “Eyewitness News” later that year.

Now that I’ve filled up most of the gaps for West Palm Beach, it’s your turn, Minneapolis-St. Paul...

Also I never knew Terry McSweeney worked at WPBF. Must’ve been his job before going to KSAZ and WTEN...

• Like 3

I believe that set of opens debuted when Forrest Sawyer took over for Chuck Moore, and then the branding became “Eyewitness News” later that year.

Now that I’ve filled up most of the gaps for West Palm Beach, it’s your turn, Minneapolis-St. Paul...

Also I never knew Terry McSweeney worked at WPBF. Must’ve been his job before going to KSAZ and WTEN...

After that fill up the rest of the Jacksonville stations, including an update of the WJXT opens.

• Like 4

Well... what about the WFLX opens?

• Like 1

Well... what about the WFLX opens?

D’oh! Totally forgot them.

Because of how nasty hot it is in New York right now, it was the same way 25 years ago. You know it’s bad when the video starts with Chapin screaming at you.

• Like 3

Because of how nasty hot it is in New York right now, it was the same way 25 years ago. You know it’s bad when the video starts with Chapin screaming at you.

Speaking of record-setting heat waves...

• Like 4

Here's a random news segment of WLTV from 1991.

Boy, it's so hard to find old local Spanish content from back in the day such as Univision. I know this maybe off topic, but if you guys were trying to find hard to find videos of old local news content, what's the best way to find them besides circulating tapes?

Sorry if I'm asking, but I'm not a professional when it comes to find hard to reach very rare old news videos.

Unless you can find a way to check the station's archives, circulating tapes is the only way. Some stations still didn't save very much because tapes were expensive and needed to be wiped and re-used, and they took up shelf space. Before the internet, stations would often trade tapes with each other. After the advent of home recorders, it was possible for viewers at home to record news shows, but I feel like those would be watched once than used again.

I know the updated look came in right before the Athens Olympics started. I was out of the area when it happened and when I came back it was a little shocking how well they did it. The 2002-04 "sub look" they wedged into the 1997 opens was flat out awful, a horrible blue/purple gradient, Arial fonts, just a massive mess and unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible.

I know that those beautiful opens that went with the first generation of L.A. Groove were junked when the second generation came in. Outside of all of their images in the NewsChannel 13 era, next to the Prime News era those were their best bar none.

Say no more, my friend:

• Like 1