Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

eyeontv has struck again with a Telesound demo reel from 1982 featuring many opens you may recognize, and several previously-unknown uses, including...

• KSBW: Look for Us
  • WCKT: Count on Us
  • KNTV: Count on Us

There's also "Saturday Live" from KRON featuring Streets of..., production elements, and a boatload of promos. Truly a huge haul!

Seriously digging that WTKR stuff! I saw that News 3 open on TV Ark but it never had a year attached to it. Now we know, and that also means the NMSA is wrong on the dates there... it currently lists And You from 1984-86. I always thought those dates seemed wrong. By the looks of it, And You was gone by at least 1985.

Seriously digging that WTKR stuff! I saw that News 3 open on TV Ark but it never had a year attached to it. Now we know, and that also means the NMSA is wrong on the dates there... it currently lists And You from 1984-86. I always thought those dates seemed wrong. By the looks of it, And You was gone by at least 1985.

Glad to see some of this as well.

Also noticed on his 1977-78 WBZ promo compilation, it sounds like Danny Dark (who was a CBS staff announcer and wouldn't be associated with NBC until the 1981-82 season) can be heard in some of the spots

KRTV 1984 open. The theme has been seen before on KTVQ (from 1981) but is not in the NMSA:

WTSP, February 1986 (ignore the date on the video, the lead story should say it all):

CKKX (Calgary 2/7)* Newsfirst (10pm) and Sports at 11 intro, 1991. Apparently Hello was on the way out. Where have I heard this theme before?

(John Tesh?)

*Station went through different callsigns. It was CFAC until 1989, CKKX until 1993 and then became CICT with its rebrand to Calgary 7.

KVOA, KGUN, SIN and so much more from Tucson in 1980! KVOA's using Cool Hand Luke, KGUN has a close theme beginning at 16:55, and a couple seconds of a KOLD close using the McGraw-Hill style "TheNews" name.

The theme used in a KGUN newscast close from 1980 is "And You" by Telesound.

Sent to the NMSA already — he said it's not important enough to list but will keep it on file. Yes, that's News People.

But he will be getting these:

WANE 1984:

KCNC 1988 (Image VII but NewsCenter 4):

How long did KTVK use that Circle 3 logo? It really reminds me of KIII's logo. I wonder if KIII got their 3 logo from KTVK.

It couldn't have been very long. There is a clip on YouTube of KTVK using a different logo in 1978 (

), and another clip indicates that KTVK had already moved on to its next logo -- the one seen in Raymie's avatar -- by December 1980, when John Lennon was shot (
).

KTVK went through a bunch of logos in quick succession in the late 1970s and early 1980s:

The one used with the Outlet/WAGA open (circle in square)

The KIII 3 (used either from late 1978 or 1979 to 1980)

The italic circle 3 (at left) which debuted with the Eyewitness News name, apparently in 1980

The red, straight circle 3 (which they have used in some form ever since)

The one from December 1980 was being phased out by 1982 at which time the station picked up Tuesday's The News Image.

I've been trying to locate clips from the early '90s from WINK and finally found a great clip. It features "CBS Affiliate Package" and the early '90s CBS News graphics:

The close is at the end. Also notice Glenn Schwartz at the end.

Another military newscast, from Iraklion Air Station in Greece, 1985:

WAVE 1987 11pm open. Another new theme:

Meanwhile, the Oklahoma Historical Society's uploading of the WKY/KTVY/KFOR archives continues. Here's a sample can (of film) from 1958:

Radioman1968's been on an uploading spree lately, posting a lot of rare Atlanta TV gems!

WSB:

(briefly had the "It's 11:00 p.m.; do you know where your children are?" made famous by WNYW)

WAGA:

(WSB brought it back sometime in the '80s)

(yes, WAGA did beat WSB in the ratings for the first time ever!)

Managers tapes from

and

WXIA:

And many others...

My old TV Guides give us some idea of the call-letter and logo switch from KOOL to KTSP.

This 1981 ad features the long-running KOOL News logo:

c10-1a_zpseb404e1b.png

KOOL announced the callsign switch to KTSP with this ad that ran next to the listings for October 2, 1982:

c10-2a_zpsa3c9e197.png

But for some weeks afterward, news ads still featured a modified version of the old logo (minus, of course, the "KOOL News" branding):

c10-3a_zpsa038be1b.png

By late November 1982, the new logo makes an apperance, but the station's news operation is branded "TV10 News" (and Mary Jo West is apparently gone from the station, since neither the ads for the 6 nor the 10 P.M. news mention her):

c10-4a_zps72020693.png

Finally, by January 1983, the "NewsCenter 10" branding, which would survive for the rest of the decade, is in place:

c10-5a_zps2958a221.png

KTVK went through a bunch of logos in quick succession in the late 1970s and early 1980s:

The one used with the Outlet/WAGA open (circle in square)

The KIII 3 (used either from late 1978 or 1979 to 1980)

The italic circle 3 (at left) which debuted with the Eyewitness News name, apparently in 1980

The red, straight circle 3 (which they have used in some form ever since)

The one from December 1980 was being phased out by 1982 at which time the station picked up Tuesday's The News Image.

Here s the evolution of KTVK from 1979 to the late '80s -- an era of substantial turmoil at the station -- as seen in TV Guide ads:

September 1979:

tvguide79-1a_zps6aadefa5.jpg

November 1981:

ktvk-nov81-1a_zps14b82212.png

April 1982:

ktvk-apr82-1a_zps2744afa7.png

December 1982:

ktvk-Dec82_zps83c379d8.png

May 1983:

ktvk-may83-1a_zpscd27094b.png

October 1983:

ktvk-oct83_zpsc0dc5c70.png