Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

From KTVK in Phoenix, here's the open to the Saturday edition of Good Morning Arizona on the day before Super Bowl XXX in 1996 (from a demo reel that includes other bits and pieces from KTVK):

(If you're not taken there automatically, go to the 2:48 mark.)

And from the same YouTube channel, here are two KTVK sports segments in their entirety (showing subtle changes to the station's long-running rainbow graphics):

1987:

1993:

Something finally interesting, though it's been hard times finding new good news material lately:

KGUN story, 1975:

(no open, but it's some of the oldest AZ TV news video out there)

Well, no news opens in this set, but it's more Arizona material, more recent:

KTVK 1992 (notice the bump from break identical to the close):

Also, KDFW from June 17, 1994:

A very odd WCBS promo from 1988, it's true: It's 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5TA301iE0

Not odd because of anything in the promo, it's a highly produced, network-level spot; full of CBS stars (Bob Newhart, Dixie Carter, Brent Musburger, the works), not to mention Pat & Vanna. I call it odd because CBS' national campaign was the cheap, unremarkable, and infamous "Television You Can Feel"; all the while CBS put a whole bunch of money and effort towards a promo for just one station. A textbook example of how crazy things were during the Tisch years.

A very odd WCBS promo from 1988, it's true: It's 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5TA301iE0

Not odd because of anything in the promo, it's a highly produced, network-level spot; full of CBS stars (Bob Newhart, Dixie Carter, Brent Musburger, the works), not to mention Pat & Vanna. I call it odd because CBS' national campaign was the cheap, unremarkable, and infamous "Television You Can Feel"; all the while CBS put a whole bunch of money and effort towards a promo for just one station. A textbook example of how crazy things were during the Tisch years.

Was the campaign that bad? News 9 Viewer talked about the highlighted point from the topic about Fall Upfronts:

"Looking at their ambitious slate of new shows, I get the feeling that the 2014-15 season is a make or break season for CBS. Their new shows could be their next generation of hits, but I also get the feeling that next season could be a repeat of Television You Can Feel minus an awful image campaign."

Mind you, I did like the theme alone.

Was the campaign that bad? News 9 Viewer talked about the highlighted point from the topic about Fall Upfronts:

"Looking at their ambitious slate of new shows, I get the feeling that the 2014-15 season is a make or break season for CBS. Their new shows could be their next generation of hits, but I also get the feeling that next season could be a repeat of Television You Can Feel minus an awful image campaign."

Mind you, I did like the theme alone.

Funny, I liked the theme too. It was about the only thing good about it. Though, to be honest, the music sounded more like a campaign for an airline than a TV network.

KTVK 1992 (notice the bump from break identical to the close):

Hmm. I wonder if that clip is from KTVK's morning news (some two years before the launch of Good Morning Arizona). Jana Wallis, the anchor seen here, went on to co-anchor KTVK's weekend news, while Mike Moore, seen seated at the anchor desk, eventually served as Good Morning Arizona's first news anchor (Jodi Applegate was the host).

This clip from 1993 is also interesting:

It features Jodi Applegate and Royal Norman hosting a show called Arizona's Family Saturday. The program looks and feels a lot like Good Morning Arizona, which premiered the following year. Could it be that, when it lost its ABC affiliation, KTVK essentially expanded the format of Arizona's Family Saturday to weekdays?

Something else interesting, the image campaign from the WBNS "Take a Good Look at 10" package produced by Gavin/Conner in 1977. This goes with the news open in the same package (NMSA name "WBNS 1977"):

Also, a behind-the-scenes of a KMIR newscast from 1994. Listen closely within the first minute and you can see/hear part of the open:

One other thing about the WCBS promo: They're missing a Darryl!

Oh, I get it. Because "It's 2", not three.

CFRN in Edmonton used this theme (or a knock-off) during the period when they were going as CFRN 2 ("CFRN. It's true. It's 2!").

The station aired on Channel 3, Cable 2. This was also the time period when some other Canadian stations were using cable channels for idents:

CFCN 3 (OTA 4)

CICT "Calgary 7" (OTA 2)

CKY 5 (OTA 7)

CHRO "NewsSix" (OTA 5 & 43)

And later:

ckvu13 (OTA 10)

Some used both:

CKND 9 & 12

CISA 2 & 7

CJFB 5 & 9

CHAT 6 & 3

J

Those Image West "grid and Gill Sans" animations that wormed their way into so many 1980s news opens...

, at least on KVVT Victorville/Barstow, California!

The channel is a gold mine of finds from the station, which became KHIZ in 2002.

Those Image West "grid and Gill Sans" animations that wormed their way into so many 1980s news opens...
, at least on KVVT Victorville/Barstow, California!

Those weren't Image West. No idea who actually did do them, but Image West worked with Scanimate, while these were done on film using backlit animation, slit scan and optical techniques. (On a tangent, I wish I could someday find out who did the syndicated movie graphics that popped up on indie stations all over the country in the 80s - the gold film strip, the placard, the four spotlights, etc.)

Ran into this while looking at a Phoenix memories thread on another forum. An undated KOOL News ad (maybe from the early 1970s), with the team of Bill Close at 6, Dave Nichols at 10, and Kent Dana on weekends:

Nichols later went to KTVK in the late 70s and was there through about 1981. Dana, of course, landed at KPNX and finished his career in the 2000s at KPHO.

Sports anchor Bill Denney was at KPNX through the 90s, while Joe Dougherty stuck around at KOOL for at least another decade.

59589d1268767373-how-do-you-remember-phoenix-stories-kool_tvad.jpg

A stellar lineup indeed, Raymie!

The first-ever edition of BBC's Breakfast Time in 1983 included clips and well-wishes from other morning shows around the world -- Good Morning Australia (Ten), Canada AM (CTV), CBS This Morning, Good Morning America (ABC), Good Morning Hong Kong (TVB), and the morning show on Japan's NHK:

And Jane Pauley makes an appearance in person!

We've been talking about KTVK a lot recently because the station is on the cusp of significant change. Well, I stumbled upon the station's website from 1997 -- just a bit over two years into the post-ABC era -- on Internet Archive, and I thought it might be interesting:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970625135558/http://www.azfamily.com/

Here's a list of media properties owned or operated by MAC America at the time:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970625125707/http://www.azfamily.com/album/

And here are KTVK's anchor/reporter bios:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970625132354/http://www.azfamily.com/album/3tv/index.html

The Sean Mc channel has had a lot of interesting footage of late including..:

March 8, 1981 NBC News Update (Jane Pauley)

Christmas Eve 1981 WCKT NewsCenter 7 Update (Steve Rondinaro)

Two 1979 WCBS Newsbreakers Promos

(featuring John Tesh and John Stossel)

(featuring Meredith Vieira)

1981 WCKT Season's Greetings/Happy Hanukkah ID (Lee Webb)

Folks, I've found boxes of tapes with vintage promos, IDs, and newscasts from KDFW, KXAS, WFAA, and KTVT the late 80s & 90s. I'll dub 'em to DVD in the coming days and

upload 'em on my YT channel less than two weeks.