Nor'Easter Coverage

morningnewsfan

::::Nor'Easter Coverage::::

As you know, The East has been experiencing a major storm and the hardest hit areas have occured here in the tri-state area. I want to know how you all feel on different stations coverages. Which were the good ones? Which ones could of improved? Share here.

Stay Safe!

-MNF-

MorningNewsFan's Thoughts...

:: I was very disappointed with WPIX because they really could have put a little more effort into their coverage. They really just went along with things like usual. To me, they did not do much to inform their viewers on these serious conditions.

:: For once, I was actually impressed with WCBS's coverage on this Nor'Easter. They had their reporters out there and really giving us more insightful and exteneded information that would really be a help to us. They did great. I found myself watching a lot of it.

:: And of course, WABC did great. All day Sunday they were giving us constant updates and I remember at one point where during the NBA game Sunday Afternoon, they did a spilt screen- showing the game while showing the current alert which I know was a comfort to many. I like how they are using two meterologists. EWN This Morning (Monday) was great. They did there usual.

:: FOX5 Who?- I didn't watch any of there coverage. I've just grown out of Fox5.

:: I think My9 did a few updates during the day Sunday. Nothing big.

:: WNBC did an average performance. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great. They could have stepped it up a little more. But they did supply nice information it was just average. Didn't go above and beyond.

I agree...WCBS and WABC did really lead the way with this.

WNBC had average coverage, but I'm sorry...the weather and maybe Corzine's crash update were the only news stories to talk about yesterday.

FOX5 was all right, but nothing terribly special.

Basically the channels astute viewers would expect to give coverage did.

Likewise I agree with morningnewsfan that WCBS actually had the best coverage, signs that they are slowly stepping up and getting with the program and not putting pointless stories first like they did with Anna Nicole Smith on the Valentine's Day Ice Storm. WABC and WNBC had their usual average performance, with updates every hour. Anyway I believe the top three stations had the better coverage than the lower tiered stations. Fox 5 and My 9 had poor coverage and WPIX and the worst coverage.

-Vlad

Yea, the lower stations (5, 9, and 11) really did have the three worst coverages. If it were a weekday, I really think the coverage would have been much better. However, you cannot use Sunday as an excuse. News does not stop on weekends, especially in NYC. This storm was forecast to come many days in advance and they should have been well prepared to put extra people on, if needed, and it was needed.

WCBS really did have the best coverage, with a ticker and all. They had the most updates at the top of most every hour with Bolaris, who did an outstanding job, as usual.

What did you think of Jim & Mary together last night at 6:30 and 11? I really think Mary needs someone to anchor with. I like her with a male anchor next to her.

Basically the channels astute viewers would expect to give coverage did.

Likewise I agree with morningnewsfan that WCBS actually had the best coverage, signs that they are slowly stepping up and getting with the program and not putting pointless stories first like they did with Anna Nicole Smith on the Valentine's Day Ice Storm. WABC and WNBC had their usual average performance, with updates every hour. Anyway I believe the top three stations had the better coverage than the lower tiered stations. Fox 5 and My 9 had poor coverage and WPIX and the worst coverage.

-Vlad

Maybe WCBS got bitchslapped for doing that on Feb.14. But their coverage was 5/5

Yes, WCBS really was the best. VLAD you are right, they seem to actually start to step up there game and show everyone what there made of. Let's see if this outstanding performance continues.

I'm sure that they hopefully may show signs of a slow comeback in the long run. They have the potential they just need to upkeep their potential.

you need good producers, photogs, ENG operators, directors, field producers, segment producers, multiple master control ops, etc. There's a heck of a lot that goes into coordinating a live shot, let alone a bunch of live shots in bad weather. It's not just send a reporter in a hot spot and go. On the weekends, there usually arent that many producers or ENG operators to do multiple live shots. Yes they could have called people in, I will give you that one, but producers and ENG operators are humans too.

Late on this but an interesting little tidbit from one of the local trades:

News12 Long Island makes a Spalsh with Rainstorm

(snippets)

- News12 Long Island garnered some of its highest viewership by storming the competition with live reports throughout the storm,

- Meteorologist Craig Allen did updated live reports Sat evening

- Craig Allen and chief meteorologist Bill Korbel broke into local program with live unlimited weather every 15 minutes from 8am to midnight on Sunday.

- Viewership Monday morning peaked at 3.26 only beaten by WABC Channel 7

Interesting how local news is becoming so important and how viewers don't want to sit through what happened in another state or the yuketty-yuks that so many of the big stations are trying to insert into otherwise important and needed information.

Archived