WFLD new set

cbs2worksforyou

I just saw a new promo for Good Day Chicago today and they showed glimpses of the new set behind some of the anchors. It looks much brighter than the current one with some blue lighting and has some dark wood elements. Does anyone know when they plan to debut it on air?

They're now broadcasting from the new set (8/11/11) at 7AM. I'll try and post pics at some point (only if someone doesn't get around to it). Mark is still in the other studio doing weather and Sondra has (what she calls a 'traffic hub'), but it's just a big desk really. No graphics and music update.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's mediocre, at best. I'm guessing the set can change colors, but I now know why yellow isn't a very popular color, for news sets. Frankly, this is just another big bust and another nail in the proverbial coffin.

I think it's mediocre, at best. I'm guessing the set can change colors, but I now know why yellow isn't a very popular color, for news sets. Frankly, this is just another big bust and another nail in the proverbial coffin.

Yes, the set can change colors (Blue is the other color I think). The color changing panels is somewhat reminiscent of the old newsroom set that was use for all newscasts years ago (yellow for the morning and blue at night). This could be considered a soft launch of the set given that Mark's area isn't completed and there are a few things that need work (proper lighting and such) and I never like the crap that is their lower 3rd(s).

I think we can all agree that the set is a total waste and unnecessary, but the newsroom did need an overhaul when you compare it to other stations. Given the circumstances, it's a shame how this newsroom upgrade came about, but that's WFLD for you.

WFLD just added a whole photo album with set construction photos to the Good Day Chicago Facebook page..

Interesting to see they reused all the previous cubicles that they had before including the producer pod.

I just wish they put the giant clock back up in there somewhere.. It does kinda fit the design of the newsroom. It also has been a staple item in that newsroom since the mid-'90s..

WFLD just added a whole photo album with set construction photos to the Good Day Chicago Facebook page.. Interesting to see they reused all the previous cubicles that they had before including the producer pod. I just wish they put the giant clock back up in there somewhere.. It does kinda fit the design of the newsroom. It also has been a staple item in that newsroom since the mid-'90s..

The photos provide insight on what actually is complete. Aside from the producer pod, all the other cubicles appear to be unused. Why unveil the set if everything is not ready/presentable. Plus, who in the world designed the anchor desk and assignment/traffic desk? Neither of those seem very functional.

The facebook comments from viewers are hilarious. This is just another of the many missteps by WFLD management.

The photos provide insight on what actually is complete. Aside from the producer pod, all the other cubicles appear to be unused. Why unveil the set if everything is not ready/presentable. Plus, who in the world designed the anchor desk and assignment/traffic desk? Neither of those seem very functional.

The facebook comments from viewers are hilarious. This is just another of the many missteps by WFLD management.

It was designed by Kevin Alter.. http://www.kevinalte...oadcast_02.html

The desk is his "generic news set" desk..

Did they run out of money before buying the cameras? The ones they have now are awful small...

They've always only had the small ones in the newsroom.. They've only had the large full size "malfunctioning robots" that try to trample over talent in the main studio only. It's probably better this way. The those cameras seem to have a habit of going crazy during the morning news..

It's the Baha'i` House of Worship in Wilmette I believe. Why they selected this building and other random places/buildings no one outside of Chicago would know is beyond me.

It doesn't seem like much thought was put into this whole project which isn't surprising. To paraphrase one of the facebook comments, its as if they threw stuff together and called it a day.

I'm watching for the first time this morning. The background is out of focus and looks absolutely horrible. It's an ugly blur of yellow that just does not work. I don't know if it's because the cameras are bad or because the focus is poor, but the anchors even look blurry and washed out when watching in HD

So, after about a year of using the "funeral music" cuts of the O&O theme, WFLD is now using the theme for an actual open! It uses the same style of graphics as they have been using on the 9pm news, but incorporates alot of constrasting black, white, and red shapes...it almost reminds me of their last graphics package before the standardization in '06 (http://youtu.be/N0F43jI4sSg). The new open uses the same female announcer that has been doing work for the station since Scott Chapin (I think that's his name) retired.

What's also surprising is that their is a talent open/rejoin coming out of the first break, including Sirott, Robinson, Bellis and Canellis. The open is nice, better than they had, but it still leaves one wanting more...but what else is new?

I'll try to post some video tomorrow night, my description doesn't do it justice...or does it?

So, after about a year of using the "funeral music" cuts of the O&O theme, WFLD is now using the theme for an actual open! It uses the same style of graphics as they have been using on the 9pm news, but incorporates alot of constrasting black, white, and red shapes...it almost reminds me of their last graphics package before the standardization in '06 (http://youtu.be/N0F43jI4sSg). The new open uses the same female announcer that has been doing work for the station since Scott Chapin (I think that's his name) retired.

What's also surprising is that their is a talent open/rejoin coming out of the first break, including Sirott, Robinson, Bellis and Canellis. The open is nice, better than they had, but it still leaves one wanting more...but what else is new?

I'll try to post some video tomorrow night, my description doesn't do it justice...or does it?

?

Archived