KDKA add Susan Koeppen and Kimberly Gill to anchor team

Daybreak

Good news - KDKA has addressed the topic and has said that while serious, Susan is "recovering nicely" in the hospital.

We’ve been receiving calls and emails asking about

KDKA-TV News Anchor Susan Koeppen

On Sunday, while running, Susan suffered a heart problem related to a pre-existing heart valve condition.

It was quite serious, but she is recovering nicely in the hospital.

Susan and her family want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Anyone interested in sending cards, can send them in care of KDKA-TV, 420 Fort Duquesne Blvd., Suite 100

Pittsburgh, PA 15222, and we will get them to Susan and her family.

Just read that Susan Koeppen is having heart surgery and may be out until next February. Kimberly Gill is the main 6 and 11 substitute but both Jennifer and Kristine will occasionally substitute. Hope Susan gets well soon. I do wonder when she comes back if she will want a lighter work load and do the 6 and having Kimberly do the 11. But that's just me speculating....

Just read that Susan Koeppen is having heart surgery and may be out until next February. Kimberly Gill is the main 6 and 11 substitute but both Jennifer and Kristine will occasionally substitute. Hope Susan gets well soon. I do wonder when she comes back if she will want a lighter work load and do the 6 and having Kimberly do the 11. But that's just me speculating....

Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Susan was on The Early Show i believe Wednesday and I wonder when she is coming back to KDKA. Kimberly has been doing an excellent job filling in for her. Like I said earlier, I think when Susan comes back she would do the 12 (noon) and 6 for some reason and Kimberly will do the 4 and 11. Anyone else have any clues when Susan's returns.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that Kimberly was doing the 4 and 11 and Susan doing the 6. I think they should have Susan take the noon and continue with the 6 and have Kimberly do the 4 and 11. Coming back from having heart operations, Susan needs a lighter workload and really need to consider this. Kimberly actually did a good job filling in and showed KDKA that she can be a lead female anchor.

I saw that Kimberly was doing the 4 and 11 and Susan doing the 6. I think they should have Susan take the noon and continue with the 6 and have Kimberly do the 4 and 11. Coming back from having heart operations, Susan needs a lighter workload and really need to consider this. Kimberly actually did a good job filling in and showed KDKA that she can be a lead female anchor.

How is doing the Noon and 6pm a lighter work load than doing the 6pm and 11pm?

I don't know how early anchors come in before their newscasts, but the I would assume it would be the same regardless of what your first newscast is. Noon to 6:30pm is 6.5 hours and 6pm to 11:30pm is 5.5 hours, so I would think the 6&11 is the lesser load. Just my two cents!

How is doing the Noon and 6pm a lighter work load than doing the 6pm and 11pm?

I don't know how early anchors come in before their newscasts, but the I would assume it would be the same regardless of what your first newscast is. Noon to 6:30pm is 6.5 hours and 6pm to 11:30pm is 5.5 hours, so I would think the 6&11 is the lesser load. Just my two cents!

Not necessarily because for the noon you come in at 10:30 to 11 am and leave for lunch around 1 and also the 6 pm is an hour long at KDKA. If you do the 4 and 11 it is more because you leave around 12:30 at night. It would be better for her since she has little children and can see them to bed at night and have a normal sleep schedule. Just my 2 cents

Not necessarily because for the noon you come in at 10:30 to 11 am and leave for lunch around 1 and also the 6 pm is an hour long at KDKA. If you do the 4 and 11 it is more because you leave around 12:30 at night. It would be better for her since she has little children and can see them to bed at night and have a normal sleep schedule. Just my 2 cents

Why do they leave so late at night? I guess the point I was trying to make is that it seems roughly the same. I see your reasoning as far as the children, however, I thought your original argument for her to switch was for health reasons, not family reasons.

If they want to cut her workload, then give her Noon & 4pm, or 6pm & 11pm. Same amount of airtime as the Noon&6pm and 4pm&11pm split you proposed, but probably less time away from home as those shows would be closer to each other and not as much "dead time" in between. I think the reason they are only having her there for the 6pm is so that she doesn't overwork herself.

Also, a side note, but I never understood why:

(1) stations that have an hour long newscast at 4pm and an hour long newscast at 5pm, feel a need to have an hour long newscast at 6pm as opposed to the traditional half hour (WRC in DC also does this); and

(2) why stations have an overload of female anchors, and a lack of male anchors. What ever happen to the male-female pairings? I understand times and the viewing demographics have changed, but you rarely see the opposite, an overload of male anchors or male-male pairings.

Well the reason why the will not do the noon and 4 because she will no longer be lead female anchor. Stacy Smith also does the 12, 4 and 6 and he is still the lead male anchor with Ken Rice doing the 5 and 11 p.m. Either way you look at it, Susan needs readjust her schedule so it would be better for her and her family.

• 1 month later...

Susan will be having heart surgery, and won't be back until May...

http://www.post-gaze.../1213835-67.stm

I see Kimberly will go back to anchoring the 6 as well as the 4 and 11. I don't have a problem with her because I really like her and see her as a good fit for KDKA.

Here is the notice from tvspy: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kdkas-susan-koeppen-to-undergo-heart-surgery_b40872

• 2 months later...

Just like i predicted, that Susan has been doing the noon and 6, instead of the 11 p.m. ad Kimberly has been doing the 4 and 11. Susan said that last Friday she would be going back to her normal hours, but I think she see it is better to change her schedule. I also was please with Susan and Kimberly anchoring together at 6 with Stacy Smith being out.

Archived