WBRE Changing Graphic Look?

NEPAMediaNut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to TVNewsCheck, Nexstar Broadcasting's WBRE in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA is upgrading its newscasts to HD on April 2 (a new news set, andweather presentation equipment will make its debut with the change). Along with the upgrade, WBRE will begin producing half-hour local newscasts at noon and 7 p.m. for CBS-affiliated sister WYOU (which lost its in-house operation in 2009).

The article also mentioned the morning, 6pm, and 11pm newscasts from WBRE would be simulcast on WYOU.

The look may likely be similar to what Nexstar has done in Utica ("Eyewitness News" on both WUTR-ABC and WFXV-Fox) and in Evansville ("Eyewitness News" on WEHT-ABC and WTVW-Ind.)

When WYOU's ended in 2009, I always wondered why they didn't just simulcast WBRE's news then, given the powerhouse CBS lineup.

The article also mentioned the morning, 6pm, and 11pm newscasts from WBRE would be simulcast on WYOU.

The look may likely be similar to what Nexstar has done in Utica ("Eyewitness News" on both WUTR-ABC and WFXV-Fox) and in Evansville ("Eyewitness News" on WEHT-ABC and WTVW-Ind.)

When WYOU's ended in 2009, I always wondered why they didn't just simulcast WBRE's news then, given the powerhouse CBS lineup.

You're right, it would have made sense to simulcast WBRE's newscasts on WYOU after that station's news department was 86'ed. As far the similarities to the shared news departments in Utica and Evansville, I would expect the Eyewitness News brand to likely extend to WYOU too (though with the station calls dropped from the branding of the WBRE newscasts since their newscasts are currently titled WBRE Eyewitness News).

There is one difference between the other two Nexstar/Mission shared news operations, since WYOU and WBRE will be carrying newscasts in some of the same timeslots; in the other two cases, WTVW lost its weekday morning 5-7 a.m. and Monday-Saturday 6-6:30 p.m. newscasts when its news department was merged with WEHT, and WFXV doesn't carry newscasts at the same time as WUTR (the latter being an unfortunately common occurrance with Fox stations whose news programming is hubbed out or/outsourced to a Big Three station).

That's definitely NBC Artworks' Look G package, used on KARK and KXAS. Further solidifies that Nexstar hs some sort of agreeement with NBC for their graphics...

Much like with the Telemundo graphics used for Nexstar's non-NBC affiliates (or is it the other way around :confused: ).

Much like with the Telemundo graphics used for Nexstar's non-NBC affiliates (or is it the other way around :confused: ).

Wow I never realized that but you are correct. Most of their non NBC affiliates use the Telemundo graphics.

WROC-TV Rochester, NY

[yt]yBYD6BTLu04[/yt]

Interestingly enough, they also run the Fox 56 News First at 10 and also no mention of the 4pm newscast, too.

Thought I'd share this, which were publicly posted online. Looks like WBRE is getting the WAWV look...Curious though why they are using 2 different graphic packages per seen with that entertainment lineup.... They aren't part of the same package are they? This should be interesting.

http://vimeo.com/36549511

The fact that WBRE waited two years after WYOU dropped its newscasts to simulcast their newscast on WYOU seems odd in retrospect considering that according to Wikipedia, WBRE and WYOU stopped carrying separate weekday morning and noon newscasts and instead jointly produced and simulcast a single news program in those periods on both station under the titles Pennsylvania Morning and Pennsylvania Midday; that lasted until early 2008, when WBRE resumed a separate morning newscast, WYOU replaced Pennsylvania Morning with the 6 a.m. hour of The Daily Buzz (a show which seems out of place on a CBS station) and the latter station also began producing its own noon newscast. Then again, the shared news operation between WBRE and WYOU may have been inspired by Nexstar/Mission's joint news operations in Utica and Evansville, which didn't come to fruition until last year.

Interestingly enough, they also run the Fox 56 News First at 10 and also no mention of the 4pm newscast, too.

Thought I'd share this, which were publicly posted online. Looks like WBRE is getting the WAWV look...Curious though why they are using 2 different graphic packages per seen with that entertainment lineup.... They aren't part of the same package are they? This should be interesting.

http://vimeo.com/36549511

As this idea for a new look seems very classy and crisp, I think this would make a neat way for WBRE to leap into the 21st century with thier HD debut coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a first time for the new bug on air(seen in the middle here). Saw this tonight during the WBRE 11pm Newscast. New logo also has made it's way on their website, periodically. Also, WBRE Anchor Candice Kelly announced that this will be the last night on the set. Construction will begin soon on the new HD set.

27zc8ba.jpg

3589v7k.png

Archived