iPads making a presence at anchor desks

johnnya2k6

For years, we would see laptops on the anchor desk or computer monitors under them along with the backup script in case the teleprompter doesn't function as planned. But those days are already long gone.

More and more stations across the country and around the world in the last couple of years have been dumping those computers in favor of iPads, with PDF files of scripts uploaded to them before newscasts (eliminating the need for paper scripts); KTUU in Anchorage is the latest to join them. But it's a slow progress, as the large market stations -- especially the network O&Os -- have yet to make the transition.

I think this is a great move as the iPad is starting to become yet another vital tool in television news. What do you think?

It only makes sense...the natural progression of technology. However, I will say that, even in the large markets, there will still be laptops for many years to come. I'm sure the technology used for the iPad script can be adapted for laptop use.

ENPS now offers a proprietary iPad app and VizRT now offers an app that gives anchors control over graphics via iPads, so companies are really starting to latch onto the iPad's use.

• 1 year later...

Bumping old thread...

iPads, or any tablet for that matter, at the anchor desk are fine IMO. What is annoying the crap out of me right now is watching a newscast where an anchor at the desk has been continually picking the iPad up and holding it. Here's a hint, local anchor person: if you can't read the tablet at normal desk height, either adjust the font bigger, or wear your glasses/contacts. You look like an absolute tool when you keep picking up the tablet, holding it in mid air while you are reading your script, then putting it back down again.

(For that matter, you look like a tool when you are sitting there staring straight down at your tablet as you are reading your script. Can't you read your teleprompter? If not, you DEFINITELY need to be wearing your glasses/contacts.)

There are two different uses for technology at the anchor desk. One is to potentially replace paper scripts. The other is to give anchors access to the Internet.

As for the former, what if the iPad crashes/freezes/dies? Nothing will replace paper scripts.

As for the latter, which is what you generally see laptops being used for, iPads do the trick. Diane Sawyer keeps one at her anchor desk. The best solution, in my opinion, is what a station like WABC has which are monitors located below the anchor desk facing up so the anchors can look down through the glass desk to see them. Then they have the keyboards on top. I think laptops sitting front and center on the desk look unprofessional, and give the impression (truthfully or not) that the anchors aren't completely focused on delivering the news.

Anyone see any Windows Surfaces on the news? I would imagine that, due to their versatility, they would be a great device to see in action!

...has anyone seen any Windows Surfaces in the wild ANYWHERE? Because I haven't. Hell, I haven't seen Windows 8 tablets in the wild period, and that's actually an operating system I'd LIKE to have on a tablet. (Desktops are another story. The Metro UI is horrific on mouse and keyboard, and having to switch between essentially two operating systems to do anything is a pain in the ass. Though there are apps that restore the start menu and boot you to the desktop, and apparently in the next major Windows update they will bring back the start menu. Once you get past that, Windows 8 is actually a pretty damn nice desktop OS.)

That said, WCAU has been working off of iPads for awhile now - Renee started using one I think about two years ago?

Anyway, what's more annoying are the stations that have laptops that have a logo on the back but use a gigantic station logo sticker to cover them up. I'm looking at you, WPVI....

...has anyone seen any Windows Surfaces in the wild ANYWHERE? Because I haven't. Hell, I haven't seen Windows 8 tablets in the wild period, and that's actually an operating system I'd LIKE to have on a tablet. (Desktops are another story. The Metro UI is horrific on mouse and keyboard, and having to switch between essentially two operating systems to do anything is a pain in the ass. Though there are apps that restore the start menu and boot you to the desktop, and apparently in the next major Windows update they will bring back the start menu. Once you get past that, Windows 8 is actually a pretty damn nice desktop OS.)

Where I work (not a TV station) we have about 10 Surface Pros, 1 or 2 regular Surfaces, and one ThinkPad Tablet 2.

That said, that's compared to well over a hundred staff iPads, not to mention a whole raft of iPads for checkouts, and more arriving daily. The proportions might be different if we had started to deploy Windows 8 on our staff desktops/laptops, but we aren't. We're almost certainly sitting out Windows 8 until the rumored next version that is said to bring back a true start menu (vs. the current start screen) and windowed "Modern" apps.

As for the former, what if the iPad crashes/freezes/dies? Nothing will replace paper scripts.

If airlines are trusting iPads to be used for electronic flight bags (which they are), I think a TV station can trust them to use for scripts. They have extremely long battery lives, and even when programs crash, they rarely take down the entire OS, and the programs relaunch lightning quick. I think saying "nothing will replace paper scripts" is a massive overstatement, if not already completely inaccurate.

Only KSAT here uses iPads (and even then, they're actually using iPad Minis). Everyone else still uses paper. If the iPad ever went out, KSAT can and has used paper as backup. But the point behind it is to cut costs on paper. KSAT also has iPad stands and an iPad keyboard to put the tablet on during their morning news to make it look like a laptop. KENS, KABB, WOAI still uses laptops.

Here's a great TVSpy article from 2011 on WSIL in Harrisburg, IL making the switch from paper to iPads. The station estimates they save $4,000/yr by converting. I'm sure larger market stations that have switched save even more due to the fact they have more newscasts, more anchors, etc.

If airlines are trusting iPads to be used for electronic flight bags (which they are), I think a TV station can trust them to use for scripts. They have extremely long battery lives, and even when programs crash, they rarely take down the entire OS, and the programs relaunch lightning quick. I think saying "nothing will replace paper scripts" is a massive overstatement, if not already completely inaccurate.

My point is that if the purpose of having a backup script in the first place is a fear that the teleprompter might crap out, you may as well be afraid that the iPad might crap out, too. What makes an electronic iPad any more reliable than an electronic teleprompter? The issue will always be technology, not the iPad specifically.

That said, WCAU has been working off of iPads for awhile now - Renee started using one I think about two years ago?

Anyway, what's more annoying are the stations that have laptops that have a logo on the back but use a gigantic station logo sticker to cover them up. I'm looking at you, WPVI....

I'm watching the rehearsal on WJZY and it looks like they're using something resembling Windows Surface.

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/24311180/tell-us-what-you-think-watch-our-fifth-rehearsal

Our anchors only use iPads because that's the only mobile platform for our teleprompter and newsroom software right now. It's nice; the anchors can use it as a scrolling teleprompter or flip the pages like an e-book. We've saved a lot of money on paper cost.

My only concern is the appearance when the anchor is holding the tablet while standing. It looks like they're reading from a restaurant menu (same with reporters reading off their phones in the field).

Archived