Fonts you love and hate

Viper550

NBC Artworks' use of typefaces have gotten a lot of acclaim from us recently, especially with the distinct looks the recent Look F package gains with its use of distinct typefaces.

Given that we've all criticized a look for using cheap or generic typography at least once here, what kind of fonts do you

think an on-air appearance should incorporate more ... or just throw in the garbage bin for good?

For me, fonts I'd like to see more, surprisingly, are fonts I've seen used in the designs of recent operating systems. And I don't mean Windows however, I'm talking more Linux-based stuff. All of these fonts are actually free and open source too, by the way.

Firstly, there's Roboto.

xCqmB.jpg

My phone (Galaxy Nexus, by the way) uses this font everywhere, and its nice and clean too. It kinda has Helvetica/Arial-type vibes, but still manages to look distinct.

Then, there's Cantarell

0zj9n.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that something in the Look F-style would look great with a font like this? Its slick, kinda has that good "display" look as well, but works just as well elsewhere.

So, your opinions?

The problem is that Serif Gothic oozes 1980.

Both Roboto and Cantarell look nice. I'm sorta sick of Cantarell (I had a LONG design period two years ago where it was my font of choice), but they would both be solid for L3s, especially Roboto. Should be noted that Cantarell doesn't have an italic.

Both Roboto and Cantarell look nice. I'm sorta sick of Cantarell (I had a LONG design period two years ago where it was my font of choice), but they would both be solid for L3s, especially Roboto. Should be noted that Cantarell doesn't have an italic.

It calls it "Oblique" though

Avenir and The Sans are both good-looking fonts. If newscast graphics went a little more out of the box with the typefaces they use, I think that those two could be executed well with the right graphics (I'm well aware that WLS-TV/Chicago uses The Sans, it looks decent on their graphics; I don't know if any stations use Avenir as their graphic font though).

Proxima Nova is great. It's the current CBS network font family and works equally well for news branding. It's similar to Avenir but has much more variation and holds up better at smaller sizes.

As for hates: Futura, TheSans, Arial, and I could go on and on.

Proxima Nova is great. It's the current CBS network font family and works equally well for news branding. It's similar to Avenir but has much more variation and holds up better at smaller sizes.

If its so nice, why don't the O&O graphics use them?

Arial, stock Windows fonts (yeah, WCBS. We know you used Trebuchet MS at one point. Didn't they?), ugh.

And also, Bank Gothic. Sometimes it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The problem is that Serif Gothic oozes 1980.

Well, considering NBC's not in any better shape than when they were using that typeface...

Seriously, even though this font screams 1980s (specifically 1989) as well, I've always been partial to the Korinna typeface for some reason.

Favorites: Futura [WFRV implements it quite well], Gill Sans. I wonder if Myriad is used much for news graphics [as a Mac guy, I hang around that font a lot].

OK: Helvetica. WLUK's implementation of it is kind of blah. I believe WGBA is using it too, and like everything else they do, it doesn't look great. Otherwise, it's usually a pretty safe bet. Same with Franklin Gothic [looking at you, WBAY!]

Dislikes: Any Windows stock font.

even though this font screams 1980s (specifically 1989) as well, I've always been partial to the Korinna typeface for some reason.

It ain't a bad font at all [it still works for "Jeopardy!"], but the problem is that it was so overused at that time. Can't speak for newscasts, but it seemed every other game show back in the 80s used it extensively. Makes you think if it was one of the stock fonts on the Chyron 4100s......

It ain't a bad font at all [it still works for "Jeopardy!"], but the problem is that it was so overused at that time. Can't speak for newscasts, but it seemed every other game show back in the 80s used it extensively. Makes you think if it was one of the stock fonts on the Chyron 4100s......

WENY-TV in Elmira uses it for their logos

Not sure if you were being facetious, but it was indeed the standard font on Chyron 4100's. I was still using one of those units back in 2002.

I believe WGBA is using it too, and like everything else they do, it doesn't look great.

Helvetica is indeed the font in the Journal Broadcast Group package.

I don't get how WGBA can have such horrible on-air presentation when they are the closest to the corporate headquarters(obviously not counting WTMJ) out of all of Journal's portfolio. They are the poster child for why graphics hubbing is a good thing.

Two of the fonts named here, Knockout and Avenir, look great in print.

I think Avenir could work for TV. 2K uses Avenir (or something very, very similar to it) for its on-screen presentation in the MLB2K series. It looks sharp; it's clear, and it works well with the animated elements, and this is just on a game.

Knockout, though, no. There are too many quirks that would make it bad for broadcast -- the featherweights, heavies, and sumos would be almost completely unusable. The middleweights would look too indistinct.

Archived