2012 NATO Summit Coverage

24994J

As Chicago prepares to go on virtual lockdown for next weekend's NATO Summit, the news stations are beginning to announce their broadcast plans.

WGN will essentially be airing weekday newscasts on Sunday...

- 6-9am (WGN Morning News)

- 11-1pm (WGN Midday News)

- 4:30-6pm (WGN News at Five)

- 9-10pm (WGN News at Nine)

Anchor assignments are unknown.

NBC5 has also posted few special report intros online that will presumably be used on-air...

[MEDIA=vimeo]41981314[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=vimeo]41981313[/MEDIA]

I noticed that in both the intros, there is a quick switch during the initial wipe (at about three seconds in) from the Chicago skyline to the 3D NATO logo animation. Was that intentional?

I noticed that in both the intros, there is a quick switch during the initial wipe (at about three seconds in) from the Chicago skyline to the 3D NATO logo animation. Was that intentional?

I'm guessing not, but their page is full of mulitple copies of promos and stuff that get modified, so these could be preliminary. However, I do like that they're using actual skyline video instead of the still photos they've been using.

I'm guessing not, but their page is full of mulitple copies of promos and stuff that get modified, so these could be preliminary. However, I do like that they're using actual skyline video instead of the still photos they've been using.

Yeah, the fact that most of the NBC O&Os that have adopted Look F use a still image for the city skyline shots is the only thing that kinda throws off an otherwise good series of graphics. KNBC, WVIT and KNTV actually do use video for skyline shots in their opens.

Guess I'm going to have to be the first to say I don't like the opens. The open says "Special Report" and the VO says "Special Edition" which in my opinion are two different things. I also think the VO would have been better as "Live, from NBC 5, this is a special edition of NBC5 News at 10: The NATO Summit in Chicago."

The 3D logo in that graphic is also poorly lit and looks really flat. This whole pacakge is designed around a shiny 3D peacock but for some reason all of WMAQ's local stuff uses really flat, matte materials on 3D elements.

While I'm fine with special reports here and there, I think full newscasts devoted primarily to the NATO Summit is unnecessary. I agree with Weeters about those NBC 5 NATO graphic elements.

I noticed this AM that ABC 7 (WLS) had all of their window blinds/shades down and the televisions were off at their State Street street-side studio. My guess is that they don't want NATO protesters trying to destroy the place. Good call on their part.

I can see CBS 2 (WBBM) doing the same thing (if they haven't already).

I noticed this AM that ABC 7 (WLS) had all of their window blinds/shades down and the televisions were off at their State Street street-side studio. My guess is that they don't want NATO protesters trying to destroy the place. Good call on their part.

They also turned off the video banner.

WLS also announced their broadcast schedule for the weekend...

They'll have the normal morning (6 & 8am) and evening (5 & 10pm) broadcasts, but will add an hour at noon on Saturday and at 10:30 on Sunday after This Week. They'll also have updates as necessary throughout each afternoon.

Not sure if anybody noticed, but it's been a while since I watched CBS 2, and they opened their special noon broadcast with the WCBS morning cut of enforcer

WFLD is using a different cut of music (not sure if it's part of the FOX Affilate News theme package) for their special newscasts.

WFLD is using a different cut of music (not sure if it's part of the FOX Affilate News theme package) for their special newscasts.

They've used it for breaking news in recent weeks, the "normal" cuts are still being used regularly.

CBS2 is on again tomorrow from 7-8 and 10:30-11am. NBC5 has a special at 11am Sunday, and an hour at 5pm.

The latter CBS 2 News Special is actually quite a bit longer, from 10:30am-1pm. Lead anchors Rob Johnson & Kate Sullivan are coming in for it.

WGN has all the regular weekday anchors on; WLS had Krashesky and Yu in-studio with weekend anchors, save for Karen Jordan, reporting; Holt, Guzman on WMAQ, Elgas and Brooks in the field.

WMAQ's live coverage is AWFUL. between 4:55 and 5:00 they basically aired five minutes of dead air as the live stream they're using broke up and occasionally worked for a second or two.

The special lower third they're using also isn't looped correctly and part of the NATO logo is outside of 4:3 safe area.

I've been very impressed with ABC7's coverage. For once, nothing about their reporting seems like overkill, and I've actually learned some things about NATO, the security practices, the logistics, etc.

CBS2 ditched for 60 Minutes at six, but all others are staying on. I think ABC is the only net with new programming at six (and that's AFV), so there's no real reason to go to primetime.

Archived