Good Afternoon America

jtgh922

I was in the audience for GAA on Thursday and one of the stage managers mentioned their was "talk" at ABC of bringing GAA back permanently in January, replacing General Hospital. I can only assume this is true since he announced it to the entire audience, and the audience members seemed excited. Has anyone else heard this?

Well, GH was renewed for a whole (50th) season, and since Monday is the unofficial premiere, I wouldn't expect GAA in a permanent spot until at least next summer...if ever. I think they need to be focusing on GMA right now, anyway. It could return into a rough morning field again since Today usually gains viewers in the fall and is a strong force at election time. They also need to maintain some stability without Robin Roberts...so the success of GMA until the end of the year is crucial to the future of GAA.

Well, GH was renewed for a whole (50th) season, and since Monday is the unofficial premiere, I wouldn't expect GAA in a permanent spot until at least next summer...if ever. I think they need to be focusing on GMA right now, anyway. It could return into a rough morning field again since Today usually gains viewers in the fall and is a strong force at election time. They also need to maintain some stability without Robin Roberts...so the success of GMA until the end of the year is crucial to the future of GAA.

You're forgetting about "The Chew," which may be gone by the end of the year.

And, let's be honest, no one knows where "Katie" and "Live!" will be in the next 18 months, either.

Those have nothing to do with ABC daytime. Katie and Live are syndicated by ABC's syndication arm, but do not affect any types of programming moves at the network level. IIRC, Kelly Ripa was given a five year contract last year, so at the very least the show will remain on for a couple of years (if anything just to see how the show does with Michael Strahan as co-host), not sure about Katie. Keep in mind that the nets have been wanting to get rid of the soaps for years since they are costly to produce and even though, which is why CBS and ABC have managed to get rid of almost all their soaps.

To a certain extent, yes they do. While they are not officially part of ABC Daytime, all ABC O&Os carry them and a number of ABC affiliates do as well. I'd like to see them hold onto GH, and either cancel The Chew or the 4pm newscasts on the affiliates that have them (in that scenario those that carry Katie would move her to 4pm).

Not all ABC affiliates carry Live with Kelly and Michael (like WLS) and not ABC affiliates carry Katie, let alone both. While most of the ABC O&O's carry these shows, it does not mean other ABC affiliates do. Also, as I stated before, The Chew is a lot cheaper to produce than General Hospital, and the way things are going, it would seem like ABC is heading towards canceling it based on cost factors. Also, no affiliate is going to want to give an hour back to the network unless there was some kind of compensation or assurance of revenue and keep in mind that local stations producing a 4pm newscast (or any local newscast for that matter) keep the ad money for themselves

I'll say this...when the network is considering schedule changes, who do they primarily have in mind? I'd guess not Biloxi, Tacoma, Albany or anyone else not under the mouse's ears. Just sayin'...

Oh, and WLS is picking up "Live!" next fall. Where it'll be on the schedule is anyone's guess (and yes, I'm serious - no one really knows).

Please reread my post. I never said all ABC affiliates carry it. The last O&O that doesn't carry both is WLS and they're on board next fall.

The Chew may be cheaper to produce, but if no one watches, that means commercial ad space is sold for less as well.

As for the network taking back an hour, let's not forget they gave back an hour to affiliates this fall to "encourage" them to air Katie so they could technically take it back.

If The Chew is doing badly, don't you think that ABC would have yanked it off the schedule already and replaced it with GAA? Keep in mind that The Revolution was on the air for less than six months and it was yanked off the schedule in favor for the GAA summer experiment. I'm not saying that it can't/won't be cancelled, but ABC seems to be bullish on keeping it and canning GH. Also, unless there is some kind of agreement between ABC and its affiliates, they just can't take that hour back that they gave them. Yes, they encouraged them to air Katie in that newly turned over hour, but its up to each ABC affiliate to make that choice.

GAA will become a permanent part of ABC daytime in 2013.

Source? I don't doubt that it's true but I wanna see some more concrete proof.

Also, I've said this before, once you give an hour back to the affiliates, good luck trying to get it the hell back. :p

Source? I don't doubt that it's true but I wanna see some more concrete proof.

Also, I've said this before, once you give an hour back to the affiliates, good luck trying to get it the hell back. :p

No I'm not confirming this. Maybe I shouldn't have said it that way. I should have said that I believe ABC will bring back GAA next year as a permanent part of the daytime lineup. Sorry for the confusion :)

If the staff of the show has already heard "talk" of this happening, then their must be some truth to it, correct? Those were the exact words of the stage manager, that their was "talk" at ABC of yanking GH in favor of GAA come January. Wouldn't that lead you to believe that the suits have already, at the very least, met with the GAA staff regarding the possible changes? He also mentioned the exact reasoning that many have stated here, which is the cost to produce GAA vs. GH. I doubt he would make an annoucement like that to a studio audience, especially with the EP of GAA standing less then a foot away from him (who by the way didn't try to stop him I might add!)

Archived