Winter Storm... Athena. *sigh*

Jess

The nor'easter that threatens the towns and beaches already hit by Hurricane Sandy is just starting to affect the region, and the track changed so a lot of areas are getting their first snowfalls of the year. Actually, the NWS issued a Winter Storm Warning for most of the Philly/NYC metro areas, making it the first storm of the year. And thanks to the Weather Channel, guess what that means!

Winter Storm Athena is here.

Excuse me a minute.

matt_headdesk.gif

Making this worse, not only is this a thing for the Weather Channel, but someone at 30 Rock probably saw that and said, "hey, we're going to use that for ALL of our news properties!" So, NBC News properties are all now referring to this storm as "Athena". 10's been doing cut-ins using the name starting at 1 (beforehand all graphics were for "NOR'EASTER"). Which for them, marks a return to the practice, as this was one of Steve Schwaid's brilliant weather ideas that was quickly killed.

Once again, excuse me.

matt_headdesk.gif

Regardless of a completely dumb name, this is just more misery on an area that just got trashed by one of the worst storms of all time, so let's use this as an Observation Thread.

In Philly, nobody's gone continuous on this, but all of the stations will begin coverage at 4. WCAU and WPVI with their normal 4pm newscasts, and KYW and WTXF will be on an hour early. Dunno how long it will last. Knowing 10, they'll do a 7pm on 10.1 and then keep going on 10.2.

At least nobody else will call it Athe-- and there's the twitter post from a CBS 3 staffer using the term #Athena.

Excuse me one more time.

matt_headdesk.gif

What's Mr. Gardner's reaction to this?

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

Meanwhile, Winter Storm Warnings were dropped for the area. And 10 seems to be really trying its hardest to not call this damn thing Athena. The anchors have said Athena a few times, but more often I'm hearing "first winter snow of the season", "nor'easter", "winter weather", and more generic terms. Glenn and the weather team have outright refused to use the name.

And they've now dropped "Athena" from the graphics entirely. "November Nor'Easter" seems to have replaced it.

Excuse me a bit.

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

I wonder if the NWS sending out a message to all their offices, reminding them not to use these names because they don't do something stupid like naming winter storms, shamed the TV stations into dropping it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/national-weather-service-just-say-no-to-athena/2012/11/07/2eee7154-28e8-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_blog.html

Archived