The end of Standard Definition?

Big Country News

I think it's time to stop catering to the 4:3 audience. There's so much wasted space on the sides that aren't being used. Why not have shows appear as 4:3 on the SD signals?

Well or better yet, why don't we just have all of the TV service providers in the nation start offering a letterbox TV (especially if the provider doesn't offer HD) and solve the whole problem period?

But either way though, even before Scripps and Gannett, some TV stations were already showing some aspects of their graphics outside of the safe zone (namely the Journal stations, where they would have "HD" right on the other side of the safe zone boundary). Scripps was the first to make it REALLY obvious, without offering an explanation as to why though however, the Belo stations showing the live bug and a couple other things outside of the safe zone, and now Gannett launching their new graphics in letterbox HD.

Recently, many station groups/stations have been updating with lower thirds, logos, and graphics out of the 'safe zone' (i.e. Scripps and Gannet). Could the years of broadcasting in standard definition be over?

Broadcasters can (and do) choose to broadcast 16:9 Letterboxed content in standard definition. The aspect ratio of the content has nothing to do with the resolution of the content.

• 4 months later...
Broadcasters can (and do) choose to broadcast 16:9 Letterboxed content in standard definition. The aspect ratio of the content has nothing to do with the resolution of the content.

Apparently, when KMBC-TV (and all Hearst owned stations) does air something that requires them to do a letterboxed sides with their call letters.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I see letterboxing all the times in the digital sub channels. It's too expensive to broadcast everything in HD.

Digital subs are a different animal. Each broadcaster only gets a certain amount of bandwidth to broadcast their main channel and their subs. Naturally you're going to dedicate the majority of the bandwidth to the main channel and then leave the rest for the subs. Expense isn't the only limiting factor. With the bandwidth limitations you can only have one 1080i channel in your net and the rest have to be 480i/p (and you're limited to 2 additional). If you choose to go 720p on your main, you can also go with a second 720p channel (but both have to transmitted at decreased bitrates) and you may be able to fit in a 480i/p sub. Most broadcasters choose not to go that route (although ABC tried it with their O&Os with the failed LiveWell network) because of the loss of picture quality.

Digital subs are a different animal. Each broadcaster only gets a certain amount of bandwidth to broadcast their main channel and their subs. Naturally you're going to dedicate the majority of the bandwidth to the main channel and then leave the rest for the subs. Expense isn't the only limiting factor. With the bandwidth limitations you can only have one 1080i channel in your net and the rest have to be 480i/p (and you're limited to 2 additional). If you choose to go 720p on your main, you can also go with a second 720p channel (but both have to transmitted at decreased bitrates) and you may be able to fit in a 480i/p sub. Most broadcasters choose not to go that route (although ABC tried it with their O&Os with the failed LiveWell network) because of the loss of picture quality.

It's interesting how, in Denver, KUSA broadcasts it's main affiliation in 1080i, 2 digital sub-channels (Weather Nation and Justice Net) in 480i, and then on 9.4, a repeater of the main channel in 1080i as well.

It's interesting how, in Denver, KUSA broadcasts it's main affiliation in 1080i, 2 digital sub-channels (Weather Nation and Justice Net) in 480i, and then on 9.4, a repeater of the main channel in 1080i as well.

KUSA's 9.4 is actually coming from KTVD which broadcasts a 1080i simulcast of KUSA, a 720p feed of MyNetwork and a 480i feed of MeTV. I imagine they are doing this because KUSA is VHF which is a pain to get proper reception with DTV where as KTVD is UHF where reception is easier. Fox has done similar things in some of their markets where one is VHF and the other is UHF.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=68581

Guest Former Member 207
Fox has done similar things in some of their markets where one is VHF and the other is UHF.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=68581

No longer here in Los Angeles...the KTTV SD simulcast from KCOP's signal was discontinued when the latter station added Heroes & Icons to its subchannel lineup a few months ago.

Speaking of ending standard definition, not that I'm losing sleep over it, but I do hope that TV providers will discontinue standard-def feeds of networks that are now in HD, which is nearly every major cable channel we can think of. I know with DirecTV and Time Warner Cable, they started implement auto-HD tuning to their receivers, so you automatically get the corresponding HD feed of whatever network you're tuning to. It's at a point now where it's a waste of bandwidth carrying SD and HD feeds side-by-side...certainly for digital cable, junking the SD feeds frees up room to maybe add those diginets that are not currently carried, and perhaps allocate the remaining bandwidth back into internet data.

• 1 month later...

In Canada, CTV went to a 16:9 bug a few years ago. Global and cable channels are still a bit inconsistent on it, though.

NBC (probably anchoring this change to the big premieres of The Voice and Blindspot tonight) has gone to a 16:9-aligned bug as of tonight.

No longer here in Los Angeles...the KTTV SD simulcast from KCOP's signal was discontinued when the latter station added Heroes & Icons to its subchannel lineup a few months ago.

Speaking of ending standard definition, not that I'm losing sleep over it, but I do hope that TV providers will discontinue standard-def feeds of networks that are now in HD, which is nearly every major cable channel we can think of. I know with DirecTV and Time Warner Cable, they started implement auto-HD tuning to their receivers, so you automatically get the corresponding HD feed of whatever network you're tuning to. It's at a point now where it's a waste of bandwidth carrying SD and HD feeds side-by-side...certainly for digital cable, junking the SD feeds frees up room to maybe add those diginets that are not currently carried, and perhaps allocate the remaining bandwidth back into internet data.

It may be a waste of bandwidth but keep in mind cable and satellite are hundreds of dollars - can you imagine the cost of replacing all the boxes with ones that are HD capable? There was a lightning strike to one of the cable distribution boxes in my neighborhood that fried the boxes at my house (three regular HD boxes, one HD DVR, one SD DTA along with my cable modem and TiVo that I owned). If I didn't have the wireline service (which we got after someone else chopped up our line underground) we would have been on the hook for $3000.

Granite if the swap out all the boxes they could just use them to down convert for those for SD and when they want HD they pay the company for the service. If they standardized on one class or manufacturer they could streamline support and not have trouble dealing with Motrola, Scientific Atlanta and Pace boxes.

Guest Former Member 207
It may be a waste of bandwidth but keep in mind cable and satellite are hundreds of dollars - can you imagine the cost of replacing all the boxes with ones that are HD capable? There was a lightning strike to one of the cable distribution boxes in my neighborhood that fried the boxes at my house (three regular HD boxes, one HD DVR, one SD DTA along with my cable modem and TiVo that I owned). If I didn't have the wireline service (which we got after someone else chopped up our line underground) we would have been on the hook for $3000.

Granite if the swap out all the boxes they could just use them to down convert for those for SD and when they want HD they pay the company for the service. If they standardized on one class or manufacturer they could streamline support and not have trouble dealing with Motrola, Scientific Atlanta and Pace boxes.

All very valid points, Ryan...and the cost of replacing boxes and the such isn't cheap by any means. Of course, if the FCC gets their way, this will be a moot point in a matter of time. Being a Time Warner Cable customer, I know over the last few years they've phased-out the analog boxes (most of which in this area were either Scientific Atlanta or Zenith), and started providing new incoming customers with some type of HD box (I believe even the digital adapters have auto-HD tuning). I also I know with their New York City cluster, TWC is starting to offer its TWC TV service to new internet customers, without the requirement of subscribing to a certain level of TV programming...they're seeing what Comcast, Sling TV, and Playstation are doing, and it could be a sign that they're (or Charter once they assume control) eventually start to phase-out the boxes, and make those existing customers watch TV via streaming.

Archived