CBS Sports' new graphics package for Super Bowl XLVIII

Viper550

Well, I'm seeing bits and pieces of it from the pre-game show; it is a much-needed improvement

Somehow, I'm surprised they managed to keep that 2006 "blue" package going for so long (including the new scoreboard style, the more "realistic" looking bumpers they started using a few years ago, and the improved L3's they started using recently), but today, for Super Bowl XLVIII, we're finally getting a new look. Some people have detected slight hints of Turner Sports in the new look (which makes sense, given that due to their MLB Postseason special and the March Madness consortium, they have become BFF's), but personally, I think its more of a cross between a flatter version of the Fox Sports look with the updated "glossy" L3's from the old look.

Personally, I didn't quite see this coming; but given that they had essentially given their pig lipstick a few times, I thought they were going to keep doing incremental updates. But this, I can live with.

Conversation on Twitter indicates that this new look was created by a design house known as Click3X, which appears to have done stuff for CBS before (like the current US Open look)

Guest NewsHound

I'm very indifferent about the new graphics. Several pieces including the alternating scoreboard logo at the top seem bulky and not animated good enough. Some of the stingers and stuff are powerful, but this package is very dark. Its like they are trying TOO HARD to emulate FOX Sports. Its just ok but isn't great. I prefer the old package.

The whole thing looks like a much glossier version of the old CBS graphics, with elements from the Turner Sports looks grafted onto it. (those L3's looked VERY familiar)

I don't mind it, but how they did the fonts on the scoreboard (which is pretty much a re-skin of the old one) kinda ruins it. The transitions and stuff actually looked superb. This isn't the only CBS graphics package where fonts ruin something that could look quite good (At least its not Arial!)

edit: Okay,on second thought, that was a bad font choice. Its Klavika, as made famous by Facebook and ESPN.

IMO, the 2006-2011 graphics were better than the 2011-2013 graphics. Something about that last package just looked really outdated and bland; then they would also put up full screen graphics with BIG UGLY CAPITAL LETTERS WITH HUGE DROPSHADOWS that seemed to belong in the early 90s.

This new package looks much nicer and finally fitting for the 2010s. Is it me or does CBS Sports (and even CBS as a whole) tend to make graphics that look 10 years out of date? IMO, the 2006-2011 look and the current look that debuted today are the only periods in recent memory that the CBS Sports graphics looked modern for their time. The 2011-2013 look seemed like it belonged in 2001-2003. Does anyone remember how terrible the CBS Sports graphics looked in 2005 compared to all of the other networks at that time? The desparity was astonishing.

• 2 weeks later...
They're not being used yet for golf, either. Probably not enough time to get the production trucks ready. Plus, you wonder if CBS will hold off until The Masters to debut its golf set.

Augusta National produces The Masters and uses their own graphics. CBS only broadcasts it.

These new graphics are not being used for the NCAA Basketball coverage. I guess they figured it's only a month until the NCAA tournament where they use Turner's graphics, so no point in updating the graphics for only a month's worth of regular season play.

Or they're waiting for next season...

Meanwhile, TSN is becoming absolutely bad at teasing in this manner.

They've got this entirely new look that they've only fully used for figure skating and last year's Grey Cup. They're still using this absolutely ancient and very dated look for everything else, and even mixing in scoreboards from the new look with everything else from the old look. Even better, the odd tennis match and MLS game mix ESPN scoreboards with it as well. Ugh...

• 6 months later...

Well, after basically sweeping the entire thing under a rug after the Super Bowl;

1. Inside College Football has switched to them.

2. It's still using the ESPN font (ugh)

3. US Open will use them according to a report on Twitter.

4. CBS SN's first college football game is Thursday. I expect them to be there...

Well, after basically sweeping the entire thing under a rug after the Super Bowl;

1. Inside College Football has switched to them.

2. It's still using the ESPN font (ugh)

3. US Open will use them according to a report on Twitter.

4. CBS SN's first college football game is Thursday. I expect them to be there...

Watching USC/Hawaii highlights and they do have the new graphics on CBS SN.

I'm watching the US Open on CBS right now and the graphics appear to be designed for widescreen, though it's not letterboxed on the SD feed (here in NY, at least) so much of it is getting cut off on this 4:3 screen I'm watching it on. At first I thought it was just sloppiness on their part but now I think it was intentional.

Does that mean CBS Sports is going to fill the 16:9 screen the way Fox Sports and ESPN do? I would imagine we'll find out more on Sunday.

I'm watching the US Open on CBS right now and the graphics appear to be designed for widescreen, though it's not letterboxed on the SD feed (here in NY, at least) so much of it is getting cut off on this 4:3 screen I'm watching it on. At first I thought it was just sloppiness on their part but now I think it was intentional.

Does that mean CBS Sports is going to fill the 16:9 screen the way Fox Sports and ESPN do? I would imagine we'll find out more on Sunday.

They've been doing that for the past few weeks. I first saw it during their Golf coverage. The issue is that some cable operators have not adapted to the changes just yet.

They've been doing that for the past few weeks. I first saw it during their Golf coverage. The issue is that some cable operators have not adapted to the changes just yet.

Mine appears to be one of them (KMOV on Att Uverse still treats it as 4x3). I remember having this same issue when Fox Sports started televising everything in 16x9.

Is this an issue on the TV provider's or is this an issue on the CBS affiliates's end?

Mine appears to be one of them (KMOV on Att Uverse still treats it as 4x3). I remember having this same issue when Fox Sports started televising everything in 16x9.

Is this an issue on the TV provider's or is this an issue on the CBS affiliates's end?

Are CBS affiliates sending out an Active Format Description? I know Fox stations do for that reason.

Archived