Rob Morrison arrested

tvknowledge

Let's add more fuel to the fire... the Post claims that Cindy Hsu is now the frontrunner to replace Rob: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/if_the_hsu_fits_J6v0k1LSKm2OO1TbnYujXJ

I thought Cindy Hsu would be the unlikely candidate with 2 women anchoring the newscasts,but it would be great to see her anchoring her old post again.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's add more fuel to the fire... the Post claims that Cindy Hsu is now the frontrunner to replace Rob: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/if_the_hsu_fits_J6v0k1LSKm2OO1TbnYujXJ

and fishbowlny has her as the least likely..

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/and-the-votes-are-in-for-wcbs-new-morning-anchor_b77773

The reporter for the Post clearly doesn't really know what he's talking about based on his inaccurate historical facts:

"Hsu has been a weekend anchor on the station for nearly 10 years, and was a popular reporter for 10 years before that."

She wasn't really a "reporter" for a decade... she had a weekday anchor spot for a decade. He doesn't make note of the fact that in the 90s, AMs were hers (when they used to start at 5:30) and she was paired with everyone from Sukyana to Lisa Cooley/Hill to Michael Pomeranz. And when she got bumped from mornings, she still kept the #1 noon newscast for a decade and anchored the 5pm newscast before Roz Abrams came in. It's only been the past 8 years, since the big shakeup of 2006, that she's been a weekend anchor. For 19 of her 20 years at WCBS, she's had some anchoring capacity (roughly 9-10 years on weekends and 9-10 weekdays).

If WCBS were to choose her, the biggest cautionary tale would be that she had that position for so long and didn't really have an impact on the ratings (although, arguably, she impacted the noon ratings). That's not to say she wouldn't be good; it's a very different WCBS than it was when she was replaced in the mornings by Shon Gables. I also don't buy into this 'it's rare to see two females' idea. Dunn paired Mary and Roz together at one point, only replacing them because he found younger, fresher talent in Chris/Kristine, and Diana/Sade are very successful. The biggest reason why I don't believe this report is that if they were preparing to pair Mary and Cindy, they would have Cindy filling in at the desk right now and not Chris.

On an unrelated note, since Hsu is celebrating two decades at WCBS this year, I hope they honor her in some way.

Hsu would be a great fit, and she deserves it. She's the only internal candidate I've been rooting for.

Two females definitely works. Diana and Sade are one of the top teams in NY.

Even today, Michelle Charlesworth filled in for Ken on EWN This Morning and Noon.

Here's my opinion.. Cindy Hsu is a great anchor and seems like a nice enough person.. But I just don't see her and Mary working ratings wise.. I really do think if they move Chris to mornings it world be good competition for Lori and Ken cause honestly Im not a fan of Ken Rosato and would without a doubt switch to channel 2 for early AM news if Wragee gets it.

Here's my opinion.. Cindy Hsu is a great anchor and seems like a nice enough person.. But I just don't see her and Mary working ratings wise.. I really do think if they move Chris to mornings it world be good competition for Lori and Ken cause honestly Im not a fan of Ken Rosato and would without a doubt switch to channel 2 for early AM news if Wragee gets it.

I agree, but I don't think Chris has any interest in mornings and would like to stay in primetime. But you are right, I am not a fan of Ken either and would definitely take another look at WCBS in the early AM.

Where does WCBS currently stand in the early morning ratings wise?

Not to read too much into tweets but...

Megan Glaros@MeganGlaros

@ChrisWragge I'm guessing you're on mornings again my friend. Is it gonna be your normal gig now?

Chris Wragge@ChrisWragge

@MeganGlaros haven't been off then since we last talked.. How "normal" remains to be seen! ;). How's America's fav #weathermom?

Chris would be great but I'm really hoping for Cindy. I grew up watching her in the morning and I really miss that.

It has now been confirmed that Don Dahler is moving to network..That being said I truly feel that they will need to bring in someone from outside to fill one of the slots.. I know I had made a suggestion list early but I really don't see any of their reporters being able one of the lead shows just yet..(unless Cindy moves to weekdays,which like I said I don't think will be the best move.) If they move Chris Wragee to mornings I feel they'll need someone new to fill his spot. And if he stays at night they'll need someone new for the mornings. Sure they have Dick Brennan but I really don't think he would do great in AM or PM on weekdays.. Like I said also 2 weekend teams would be a good move and they really have potential to give Channel 7 a run.

They had just as good of a potential prior to the Morrison scandal and still ranked behind WABC. I don't see this making any difference.

It can make a great difference.. If they pair the right people they can be plenty strong.. As long as they keep the beautiful and talented Kristine Johnson I will watch at 5&11. Lol

It was mentioned about having 2 women on the desk might negatively affect ratings..Which I kind of agree with..but anyway it seems that FOX5 still puts 2 men at the desk when needed..Greg and Ernie anchored together during Sandy..Dave Price and and Steve Lacy anchored together one morning and just the other night Ernie and Steve anchored together..Why is Ch5 the only one that seems to do this? Is it just to "old fashioned" or what is it? Does anyone know?

It was mentioned about having 2 women on the desk might negatively affect ratings..Which I kind of agree with..but anyway it seems that FOX5 still puts 2 men at the desk when needed..Greg and Ernie anchored together during Sandy..Dave Price and and Steve Lacy anchored together one morning and just the other night Ernie and Steve anchored together..Why is Ch5 the only one that seems to do this? Is it just to "old fashioned" or what is it? Does anyone know?

And compare that to WABC Channel 7 who has Diana and Sade at 5 plus put Diana with Liz First at 4 this past Monday and Tuesday when David was off.

I think that it is a matter of staffing.

While, yes, they do have two men occasionally, it is much more often that you see Fox 5 putting two women together. Tai Hernandez/Kerry Drew (for a week in January) and before Tai Hernandez/Heather Nauert anchored in the morning together. Also, it is very frequent to have Christina Park and Dari Alexander on at 10.

While other stations like WABC and WNYW may choose to do two males or two females, that's not how WCBS works and is all but out of the question You've never seen, and will never see, Kristine and Dana or Chris and Maurice anchoring together. They'd rather one anchor solo a newscast than make those pairings. Dunn was originally open to it when he paired Mary and Roz on the noon/5pm newscasts, but once Friend was in, that was over.

WCBS isn't running WLNY the right way and utilizing its huge potential for the station.

WCBS needs to launch more WLNY newscasts, ideally in the afternoon, to start serving as its farm team. The station right now is seeing a major crisis in terms of its anchor bench, which despite the illusions of polls on some websites, is very weak. They lost Rob and they're losing Don. That leaves them with 5 weekday anchors and 1 weekend anchor to cover all of their newscasts, including WLNY at 9. The Couch could have been used to make a farm team, but none of the hosts have the chops to do news. (Speaking of-- they're going to lose Lisa and Carolina at the same time for maternity leave, presumably bringing Alex Denis back into the studio-- but who will fill her role on the road for that period? Reinforced my point.) While it makes financial sense to have one person anchor all weekend, as they have for years now, it really hurts the station in the longrun. (Not just in the size of their bench, but also because it prevents them from expanding the Sunday 11pm newscast to an hour, matching their main competition on WABC and WNBC.)

Luckily they could move Chris to mornings, and Dana may actually be at her best when she solo's at 6pm. Chris has brought a new energy to a newscast that had been dull with Rob and Mary. (He does well bouncing off of John Elliott's energy. The only problem is that Chris and Alex Denis both spend the whole broadcast flirting with each other.) But now the station can't weather any unexpected situations that may take their anchors off the air.

Instead of building a deep bench, like WABC has always done, Dunn as head of the CBS O&Os is using WCBS as a reverse farm team-- sending Kate Sullivan, Megan Glaros, and Katie Fehlinger off to better jobs in smaller markets. The people they have brought in for a bench in the past have all been built up NYC names at other stations (Dunn/Friend brought in Steve Bartlestein for weekends [who also saved them when they didn't have a sports department], then replaced him with Rob Morrison. Unrelated: anyone notice how WCBS has now employed every NYC station's male morning lead from the early 2000s? Maurice & Rob from WNBC, Jim Ryan from WNYW for six months, Steve from WABC.) And for those of you who will encourage they hire Jim Watkins or Sue Simmons or any other anchor you miss; keep in mind that Dana Tyler is the only anchor not part of the WCBS-youth movement, which is easily seen when she tries to banter with Lonnie or Otis. They aren't going for any of these older NY veterans anytime soon.

WCBS's problem now is that they haven't introduced anyone new to the market (even WNBC introduced Shiba before axing Sue). If they were using WLNY the way they should be, future WCBS mainstay anchors would be getting anchoring experience on 10/55 and filling in, when appropriate, on WCBS, building a relationship with the city and the viewers so they aren't turned off with a new face being forced on them too fast. I understand not wanting to pull great reporters to the desk-- while Mary is a great anchor, she was an even better reporter. Instead of doing it the right way, WCBS has Alex Denis fill in at 5pm when Kristine is off. Alex is a great presence in the morning and does a fine job as a traffic reporter. But seeing her huge smile as she talks about a violent crime on the 5pm news isn't a good view. She doesn't have the intellectual heft to carry an anchoring position in the #1 market... so they're wasting their time if they're trying to build her up for an anchor seat-- she can't make the transition the way Wragge did. (Otis could potentially make the transition-- but then the station doesn't have a sports department, again!)

Hopefully Dunn and Friend recognize this problem now that they are being hit with a lot of change at once. I commend them for providing more stability to the station than it has seen in two decades. Finally there is a mostly predictable set of reporters and the same anchor faces (even though they can't decide who they want next to Dana). But when things happen, the station isn't prepared. And it sucks to see because they have the ability and resources to be better prepared for these situations than their competitors. WLNY provides a huge opportunity for WCBS to build its teams and talent... they just have to start using it the right way!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been practically 2 months now and still no word on a replacement? A lot of people have been gunning for that job from out of state and the weekend evening news. I would say just give it to Chris but he verbally said more than once he doesn't want the job. I hope they find someone soon.

It's been practically 2 months now and still no word on a replacement? A lot of people have been gunning for that job from out of state and the weekend evening news. I would say just give it to Chris but he verbally said more than once he doesn't want the job. I hope they find someone soon.

From his twitter page it looks like he's enjoying himself with the crew taking pictures and "competing" with other CBS morning stations.. He has great chemistry with the crew (much better than Rob) him and Alex Denis really seem to get along too lol.. I also like him with Alice Gainer they are good and hopefully they work her in as an anchor somewhere.

From his twitter page it looks like he's enjoying himself with the crew taking pictures and "competing" with other CBS morning stations.. He has great chemistry with the crew (much better than Rob) him and Alex Denis really seem to get along too lol.. I also like him with Alice Gainer they are good and hopefully they work her in as an anchor somewhere.

He seems to be having fun but by this recent twitter post, doesn't want it to be permanent.

Chris Wragge: @LaurieColeNYC still sluggin' it out in the early am's. Getting my @soulcycle on weekends! :( #IMissCole

Archived