Rob Morrison arrested

tvknowledge

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don did make his debut on Sunday on the CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor with a report on the Texas prosecutor's death. He filed his report live from the Broadcast Center's newsroom.

Interesting to note.. Jeff twice (before and after report) called him "Don Dahler," but his L3 said "Donald Dahler".

This is all speculation, but it seems that Dick Brennan might be the permanent weekend morning anchor with Cindy Hsu. Emily Smith anchored with Cindy this morning, and said she was "in for Dick Brennan."

Also, I've noticed that Chris Wragge has now joined Mary in the daily CBS 2 News This Morning preview promos as of this week (up until now, Mary had been doing these promos alone since Rob left). Moreover, Dick Brennan has been anchoring on WLNY at 9 p.m. with Dana three nights per week, and has not said that he's "in for Chris," and Dana has been solo at 6 p.m. without mentioning Chris at all. This could all mean nothing, but I think it's telling that Chris has been the only AM anchor since Rob left...

Chris was off one day a few weeks ago and the person subbing for him mentioned they were "in for Chris Wragge" that was for the morning and noon newscasts. I guess this is temporary, maybe they will make their permanent changes in time for May Sweeps. I am not a fan of Chris Wragge but he does very well in the mornings. I actually get up out of my bed to actually watch the newscast. Mary needs someone like him or it will be a snooze fest when it was she and Rob anchoring.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if these anchor teams are permanent? I was just on CBS2 This Morning facebook page and they have a cover photo of the entire team including Chris.. I'm wondering whats going on? Are they going to wait to see what happens with the sweeps results? I personally think this is probably the strongest morning team WCBS has had..Chris and Mary work great together and they have good chemistry with the rest of the team. I have a feeling that they may keep Dana Tyler alone at 6pm..I don't really like the idea cause I'd prefer two anchors but they only station that uses 2 anchors at 6 is WABC.. I guess we will just see but in my opinion this current line up in the AM could definitely give channel 7 a run for their money..I also like Dick Brennan and Cindy Hsu on weekends..

Does anyone know if these anchor teams are permanent? I was just on CBS2 This Morning facebook page and they have a cover photo of the entire team including Chris.. I'm wondering whats going on? Are they going to wait to see what happens with the sweeps results? I personally think this is probably the strongest morning team WCBS has had..Chris and Mary work great together and they have good chemistry with the rest of the team. I have a feeling that they may keep Dana Tyler alone at 6pm..I don't really like the idea cause I'd prefer two anchors but they only station that uses 2 anchors at 6 is WABC.. I guess we will just see but in my opinion this current line up in the AM could definitely give channel 7 a run for their money..I also like Dick Brennan and Cindy Hsu on weekends..

I am wondering if they plan on canning Dana? KYW (CBS3) in Philly just left their main female anchor (Susan Barnett) go over money. She and her male co-anchor were co-anchoring the 5pm, 6pm, 10pm (WPSG), and 11pm. Same exact scenario just happened in Miami at WFOR (CBS4) with Shannon Hori. Could this mean Dana is one her way out or to weekends, leaving one main anchor team for evenings/nights. Sounds like CBS is being a little tight on the purse strings!

I am wondering if they plan on canning Dana? KYW (CBS3) in Philly just left their main female anchor (Susan Barnett) go over money. She and her male co-anchor were co-anchoring the 5pm, 6pm, 10pm (WPSG), and 11pm. Same exact scenario just happened in Miami at WFOR (CBS4) with Shannon Hori. Could this mean Dana is one her way out or to weekends, leaving one main anchor team for evenings/nights. Sounds like CBS is being a little tight on the purse strings!

Don't forget Bill and Walter in Chicago, going from 4 evening anchors to 2.

If that means we get to see more of Kristine Johnson I'm happy lol. But seriously I wish more stations would keep their evening teams together like that instead of splitting them up with different people for different newscasts. (Easiest example: WNBC should either put Chuck and Shiba together at 5 or 6 and then again at 11, instead of having her with Tom.) I know its weird but whatever.

I think that even the execs at WCBS recognize the symbolic power of keeping Dana as part of their weekday news team in some capacity, as she has been the ONLY consistent face on those newscasts for the past two decades. While splitting Chuck and Sue was a monumentally bad decision and is somewhat comparable, WNBC has had a well document self-destruction over the past five years or so, similar to that of WCBS in the mid-90s. WCBS though has been in a period of extended growth and improvement though. Susan Barnett and Shannon Hori have each only been in their lead roles for the past five years or so; Dana has been with the station 23 years, with almost 20 of them as a weekday anchor. My understanding is that CBS has been doing a national search for Hori's replacement. Additionally, while Philly has to program WPSG in the morning and at 10, they don't use different teams on the other stations the way WCBS and WLNY do (biggest difference: KYW's morning team does four and a half hours in the morning). Further, the execs at WCBS hope to turn WLNY into a KCAL, which would require staffing up to add additional newscasts in the future. Although it does seem that Dunn has decided that there will be only one evening anchor team at all of the stations (Chicago, Philly, Miami are all the best, recent examples of elimination of additional anchors), I think they will want to delay that at WCBS for as long as possible. Also, it should be noted that Dianne Doctor had eliminated extra teams at WCBS for two years or so in the early 2000s (Ernie/Dana did 4:30-6:30 and 11, Cindy/Michael did mornings and noon).

I think that all of these things though indicate that when Dana does leave WCBS, it will most likely be on her terms.

I like Chris with Mary in the morning, they all gel really well with each other. As much as I liked him with Dana at night, I think it makes sense if they're not hiring someone else (ie. Jim Watkins) to keep him on in the morning and have Dana solo at 6pm. She's a recognized face in NY and can certainly carry the 6pm on her own. I always watch her at 6 because she has been around for so long and seems genuine. I like getting my news from someone like her!

Chris was shooting more promos yesterday, so confirmation is likely soon.

I agree, may as well keep Dana solo at 6pm. Adding another co-anchor does not give you an edge over WABC or WNBC (their main competition...sorry Steve Lacy.)

• 2 weeks later...
Chris and Mary appear in a new "Expect More" promo for the morning newscast...

I wonder why they haven't announced anything but it looks like Wragge isn't going back to 6 and 9 p.m.

Can I just say, these new promos once again copy WNBC. They are so uncreative.

Alice Gainer and Mary Calvi anchored this morning.. Surprised to see to women anchoring together.

I'm not. This seems to be more popular lately, and most stations (with the exception of WNBC) seem to be doing it quasi-regularly with their substitute anchors.

I'm not. This seems to be more popular lately, and most stations (with the exception of WNBC) seem to be doing it quasi-regularly with their substitute anchors.

WNBC usually pairs female in the mornings when Michael has the day off. It's either Erika, Pat, or Contessa paired with Darlene.

Archived