What's Happening In The FNC Graphics Department?

Big Country News

Ever since the summer of 2012, FOX News Channel has been constantly updating everything. The ticker, logo cube, general use graphics, lower thirds, etc.

My question is this: Is management forcing the Graphics Dept. to put out more than it can manage?

Now, look at FOX Business Network, their graphics are stunning, and I think that somewhere the standards got changed for FNC's graphics.

FNC needs to step up their graphics game and aim towards the FBN way of doing things.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried for years to come up with a single word that describes FOX News Channel's on-air look. I don't think such a word has been invented yet.

It's busy. It's messy. It's overall just not something that's as easy to look at as the other networks. FOX Business also has consistency, which FNC lacks.

I've tried for years to come up with a single word that describes FOX News Channel's on-air look. I don't think such a word has been invented yet.

It's busy. It's messy. It's overall just not something that's as easy to look at as the other networks. FOX Business also has consistency, which FNC lacks.

It's like any other News Corp/Fox broadcasting product, very flashy and very busy.

Fox Sports is the same way in relation to its competitors.

Which is another thing that's made no damn sense to me. Why the HELL does FBN have such nice damn graphics (to the point I want to watch them simply FOR their graphics compared to CNBC's mess), yet FNC have atrocious lower thirds that have ALWAYS seemed like their cramped because they can't ever seem to figure out the "spacing issue."

Fox Business has a great, cohesive look. Everything follows the same theme. They have very talented people working there.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Fox News but almost everything their graphics department turns out is messy. There's no real grand design plan for the most part. It's all just thrown together and updated constantly piece by piece, rarely actually improving and never really matching anything else.

Unfortunately, everyone has their own idea of how the graphics should look like and well that leads to a big mish mash of crappy graphics. It seems like its a common occurrence at all News Corp. properties beginning with FOX Sports, which in recent years their graphics have started to look very cheap and messy.

^^^

I second that. I always hoped that FNC would mimic Sky News' style, as it's oddly very American in a way but very organized and majestic. Though I'm sure it's almost as likely that George Soros gets a nightly show before that happens...

Okay, now there's another DREADFUL update to the graphics of the O'reilly Factor.

The open is fine, but the the things that bother me are the:

A: Lower thirds that stray far from both known FNC designs.

B: Bug that looks more cartoonish than the rest of the graphics.

C: Promo lower thirds (they're just bad)

D: OTS elements

Now, there are more atrocities, but I'll stop at the main ones.

Are the graphics guys even trying any more, or did somebody with a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects design these?

Okay, now there's another DREADFUL update to the graphics of the O'reilly Factor.

The open is fine, but the the things that bother me are the:

A: Lower thirds that stray far from both known FNC designs.

B: Bug that looks more cartoonish than the rest of the graphics.

C: Promo lower thirds (they're just bad)

D: OTS elements

Now, there are more atrocities, but I'll stop at the main ones.

Are the graphics guys even trying any more, or did somebody with a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects design these?

No. Microsoft Paint.

IN2p403l.png

I bet someone spent MINUTES coming up with this masterpiece.

They actually look somewhat like the previous O&O L3, really.

The size of the FSN logo doesn't work. It should expand over the L3 like the O'Rielly Factor logo does. And frankly, the whole color scheme is rather atrocious. I would prefer the blue L3's the O&Os use than to this crap!

The size of the FSN logo doesn't work. It should expand over the L3 like the O'Rielly Factor logo does. And frankly, the whole color scheme is rather atrocious. I would prefer the blue L3's the O&Os use than to this crap!

This is a screenshot from the online version so the on air bug is different. Regardless, the online bug should line up with the L3.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet again, another downgrade. This time, it's not as big, but it's still something. It's the "EXTREME Weather Center" banners.

Before:JD_SnowAccumulation.pngMAR8.jpg

After:

SnowAccumulation_Next5DaysGFS.pngapr6.jpg

I can describe this in one little word: B-A-D, Bad. They had a good Banner then they had an idea to change it. Now, I'll agree that the old one was a bit bulky, although, it was not extremely big.

^

What's wrong with that? I actually LIKE that. Aside from it being blue, which is odd given that Fox News is a "red" network (color wise, and the fact that i hate the color red) and not having the logo on it anymore, I think it's simple and fine.

And with the coverage of the Boston Marathon terrorist attack, the ticker has had their colors inverted to black text on white (and the text is definitely different, but I can't place the font). Still, the ticker now stands out... and not in a good way. It looks totally out of place and is incompatible even with the current hodgepodge look they have going.

The L3s still suck. Primetime is by far the worst - O'Reilly's L3s are bad, Hannity's L3s are an eyesore, and Greta's L3s make me want to gouge my eyes out (especially when a little animated bug of an upcoming guest pops up in the middle of an interview... if you've seen that at all, my condolences).

FNC has always looked "sloppy" to me, and it's just sloppier now than it was back then.

The thing about Fox News is that everything, from tone to content, is dictated to be in a specific style, including graphics. I would not be surprised if this comes from the top (Roger Ailes) or even the very top (Murdoch himself).

Photoshop was only introduced to FNC department in 2009, most of the staff did not even know how to use it. They're still using CS3. Fox Business Network has a nice clean organized look to it, is also using CS3, but the staff is treated like complete garbage. Fox Business started in 2007, the graphics department is only about 25 people, over 30 people have left. You do the math. Horribly run department and a complete waste of talent.

FNC has always looked "sloppy" to me, and it's just sloppier now than it was back then.

The thing about Fox News is that everything, from tone to content, is dictated to be in a specific style, including graphics.

I think there's a word for that style, too: "Tabloid".

Archived