Preview of New Graphics for CBS 2?

bc485

^^^

I haven't seen Proxima Nova on KCNC, but I have seen the updated blue eye backdrop. I think every affiliate was ordered to start using it (as opposed to the darker one, see my avatar) because KPIX started using it around the same time.

One thing I've also noticed on KCNC this week is that they have new talent idents. What's unusual about them is that they use the tagline "Colorado's News Channel"— a tagline they haven't used in at least eight years.

They've been using the old tagline "Colorado's News Channel" for about 2 weeks now. It's alright.

So, they have 2 slogans: "On Your Side" and "Colorado's News Channel."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's video of the image promo as well as one of the talent idents. Part of me thinks it's a great throwback to the late 80s/90s/early 2000s when the station was really on top of things; part of me thinks it sounds archaic; part of me thinks the promo's tone doesn't match the cozy feel that 4 had during the aforementioned era. But overall, I'd say it's a nice reminder of the channel's history and its callsign.

Oh, that dubstep, Gotta love the dubstep.

It looks like their former package more than anything I think? But there's that trend, the thin box around the logo...

KCNC's version is a little too thin IMO.

On a different note, I'm digging that slogan, "Colorado's News Channel". I love how it's tied to the callsign.

It looks like their former package more than anything I think? But there's that trend, the thin box around the logo...

Yeah, the pre-standardized graphics used Gotham. Anything made in-house pretty much still uses Gotham, so I don't think it's any indication of anything. The overall identity change, as well as the station's new feel of 'tough news' that borderlines on tabloid sometimes, is what's notable here.

Die Dubstep ist gut!

Yeah, the pre-standardized graphics used Gotham. Anything made in-house pretty much still uses Gotham, so I don't think it's any indication of anything. The overall identity change, as well as the station's new feel of 'tough news' that borderlines on tabloid sometimes, is what's notable here.

On a different note, if CBS isn't going to update the O&O graphics package anytime soon, do you think KCNC could update those duratrans? They are looking... outdated.

• 2 weeks later...

KPIX is running a Judge Judy promo with Jim Harbaugh. What's interesting about it is that it uses an L3 that's in a trapezoidal shape, and the end slate has an oversize, two-dimensional eye on a blue backdrop, much like what we saw in that Bill and Walter video and the caps of the KYW promos that Hulkie uploaded. I hate to be another speculative hack, but if there isn't a new graphics package in the works for sometime in the coming months, I'd be a little surprised.

Also, KPIX is running a promo for the new Bay Bridge, where they tell people to go to kpix.com instead of cbssf.com.

KPIX is running a Judge Judy promo with Jim Harbaugh. What's interesting about it is that it uses an L3 that's in a trapezoidal shape, and the end slate has an oversize, two-dimensional eye on a blue backdrop, much like what we saw in that Bill and Walter video and the caps of the KYW promos that Hulkie uploaded. I hate to be another speculative hack, but if there isn't a new graphics package in the works for sometime in the coming months, I'd be a little surprised.

Also, KPIX is running a promo for the new Bay Bridge, where they tell people to go to kpix.com instead of cbssf.com.

Saw a photo of KPIX's new SNG truck at NAB... has kpix.com on it.

564715_10200371914052396_1783129314_n.jpg

I think you all might be reading a little bit too much into the website URL thing. It could simply be a situation similar to what WCAU did when they relaunched last year. They simply started referring their website as NBC10.com (which just redirects to nbcphiladelphia.com) cause it's just much simpler to type and also say on air. I think using KPIX.com just makes more sense than cbssanfrancisco.com

I think you all might be reading a little bit too much into the website URL thing. It could simply be a situation similar to what WCAU did when they relaunched last year. They simply started referring their website as NBC10.com (which just redirects to nbcphiladelphia.com) cause it's just much simpler to type and also say on air. I think using KPIX.com just makes more sense than cbssanfrancisco.com

I agree. KNSD seems to be doing it, too - advertising NBC7.com rather than NBCSanDiego.com. Still, CBS(InsertCityHere).com was their group-wide brand for a while. Somebody higher up the food chain had to sign off on allowing them to move away from it now. But yeah, in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small detail.

I agree. KNSD seems to be doing it, too - advertising NBC7.com rather than NBCSanDiego.com. Still, CBS(InsertCityHere).com was their group-wide brand for a while. Somebody higher up the food chain had to sign off on allowing them to move away from it now. But yeah, in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small detail.

i don't like KCNC's domain name. It's CBSDenver.com. Meh. I wish they would take ownership of CNC.com (for Colorado's News Channel). On the upside though, KCNC.com redirects to their website.

Personally I go organically. Before the Wordpress VIP site launched in Denver, I noticed WCBS using it. I went to Denver.CBSlocal.com and the page that came up said that it was locked. I knew that as a matter of standardization, I would soon see that site go online. From then on I've used Denver.CBSlocal.com as the URL.

• 3 weeks later...

[ATTACH]1178.IPB[/ATTACH]

A new 5-second promo aired tonight at 7:27PM. Here is an image from the promo (sorry for the camera picture, but I was not prepared for this and couldn't take a screencap).

photo.thumb.JPG.88d6dc297d36cd14000adfd87eda2738.JPG

As a longtime fan, this looks backwards to me.

From May 1997 until January 2003, the eye was gold and the 2 was white. Both have been white since.

It would be nice to see new graphics if they're actually thought out this time.

What does "Expect MORE" mean anyway?

From an outside market perspective, changing the 2 to a different, brighter color only accentuates how awkwardly-drawn that 2 is. That sharp edge always looked strange to me. If they want the KCBS look, then they should have switched to the Helvetica 2 at the same time.

From an outside market perspective, changing the 2 to a different, brighter color only accentuates how awkwardly-drawn that 2 is. That sharp edge always looked strange to me. If they want the KCBS look, then they should have switched to the Helvetica 2 at the same time.

It's an oblique (slanted) "2" that ends in an upright's stroke. It really ought to go, it's kinda kludge-y.

I was always fonder of this "2", maybe they could go for something like it that doesn't create bothersome negative space between it and the CBS logo?

This. WCBS' logo evolution has been interesting because while they've worked with the same "2" since 1997, they've made little adjustments that have changed the look of it. And yes, it looks awkwardly drawn - and that's been a problem for 13 years, ever since they went from this:

WCBS-Logo1998-300x225.jpg

to this:

WCBS-Logo2000-300x225.jpg

The first, parallelogram version of the logo reflected the 2's natural, italic form. The way it was designed, however, where the white 2 reaches the bottom right corner of the logo, meant that whenever they did a 2D version, it looked like that part of the logo was "missing". When they straightened it out in 2000, they redid the 2 so it was further from the edge. In the process, for whatever reason, they redrew the 2's edge to be straight and much shorter. Every version since then has used that version as the base.

The "yellow 2" doesn't look as bad to me as I thought it would. Maybe it's just me but I like having the eye and the number as different colors. I wouldn't have been averse to a change of the look of the 2 - though I'd personally love to see them bring back the Futura "2" from the 1980s and 90s.

There have been 2 CBS "2"s that have bothered me over the years:

- KCBS' 2 from the early 90s - to me it was missing the front part of the two and was "backwards italicized"

- WCBS' current 2 - it's missing the bottom part of the 2

Yes there are other logos, but these two 2s are at the top of my list...

J

I think the phrase "expect more" could be incorporated into a slogan for CBS (as in "Expect more from CBS"). As the top rated network, I feel they need to send the message that they aren't resting on their laurels. Not to mention their current slogan "Only CBS" sounds kind of stupid on its own (only CBS WHAT?).

The slogan isn't a good promotion of local news. There is no promotion of the merits of the news operation itself.

Also, why is the word "more" in all caps?

Archived