NBC acquires Telemundo affiliate WWSI

CircleSeven

If anyone cares? It appears WCAU will have a Telemundo partner, like the other big markets.

From the paperwork posted this morning, NBC will acquire Atlantic City's ZGS Communications-owned Telemundo affiliate WWSI for $19 million.

ZGS Communications owns Telemundo affiliates in the New England & Mid-Atlantic regions plus stations in Florida & New Mexico.

EDIT: Just look at this rbr.com article.

Interesting. Looks like they'd have to make some space at 10 Monument or even Comcast Center...

Still not sure if we're the type of market that can support it on the level that New York and Miami can. WUVP looks well behind the other Uni stations as far as technology goes, and Clear Channel's attempt to launch a spanish station on a major FM frequency failed miserably.

What about WNEU. In Boston? Also, now the NBC-Universal owns NECN, I see a partnership between WNEU and NECN. Yes, I know WHDH is the NBC affiliate, but does its owner Ed Ansin want anything to do with NBC? Of course not.

What about WNEU. In Boston? Also, now the NBC-Universal owns NECN, I see a partnership between WNEU and NECN. Yes, I know WHDH is the NBC affiliate, but does its owner Ed Ansin want anything to do with NBC? Of course not.

I wonder does Comcast have something up their sleeves with the Boston NBC affiliation in the long term.

NBC came begging to Ansin back in 1994 after CBS bought WBZ. They had nowhere else to go back then, even if it was to a station owner that forced them to continue running their newly-purchased Miami O&O (WTVJ) as a CBS affiliate for 18 months because Ansin wanted the Olympics coverage from NBC.

I think Ansin uses that to his advantage... remember when they almost refused to air "The Jay Leno Show" and made concurrent plans to move WLVI's 10pm news over to WHDH? They backed off, but it gave the station attention and free pub, in addition to making NBC look bad.

NBC came begging to Ansin back in 1994 after CBS bought WBZ. They had nowhere else to go back then, even if it was to a station owner that forced them to continue running their newly-purchased Miami O&O (WTVJ) as a CBS affiliate for 18 months because Ansin wanted the Olympics coverage from NBC.

I think Ansin uses that to his advantage... remember when they almost refused to air "The Jay Leno Show" and made concurrent plans to move WLVI's 10pm news over to WHDH? They backed off, but it gave the station attention and free pub, in addition to making NBC look bad.

That was under another regime. I highly doubt that Comcast will let Ansin pull this crap again. If he starts to be problematic with the network, they won't hesitate to make changes and it won't be hard for them to find a new channel to put the network on either.

That was under another regime. I highly doubt that Comcast will let Ansin pull this crap again. If he starts to be problematic with the network, they won't hesitate to make changes and it won't be hard for them to find a new channel to put the network on either.

If Ansin is such a pain in the a**, why the hell doesn't NBC just buy WHDH?

If Ansin is such a pain in the a**, why the hell doesn't NBC just buy WHDH?

I'm sure they've asked in the past, but its evident that Ansin is not interested in selling. Who knows what the relationship is now between NBC and Ansin/Sumbeam Television- it very well may be good. However the days, of a network begging a station to become their affiliate are long gone. There are so many video provider choices and options to view tv, that its the local stations that should worry about losing their affiliation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And its a done deal.

TVNewsCheck states this morning that NBC has announced its completion of the sale of WWSI from ZGS Communications.

Many improvements that will happen in the coming months will include moving its to the WCAU facilities in September, acquiring a brand news OTA antenna, to boost its coverage area in December, and it will have its own local Telemundo-branded newscast by this coming January.

• 2 months later...

Bumping because NBC announce it will hire folks to start news ops.

TVNewsCheck posted that NBC will hire 15 Spanish-speaking journalists. Other positions that will also be filed are from anchors & producers to sales & engineering. They are slated to implement the new WWSI's 6pm & 11pm newscasts by January.

They also announce they the engineers are going to install a new WWSI antenna and their transmitting facilities by around November.

NBC ain't playing around with this. I'm hoping nothing but the best on this new news ops.

Bumping because NBC announce it will hire folks to start news ops.

TVNewsCheck posted that NBC will hire 15 Spanish-speaking journalists. Other positions that will also be filed are from anchors & producers to sales & engineering. They are slated to implement the new WWSI's 6pm & 11pm newscasts by January.

They also announce they the engineers are going to install a new WWSI antenna and their transmitting facilities by around November.

NBC ain't playing around with this. I'm hoping nothing but the best on this new news ops.

Where wll the new transmitter be? They need to move it closer to the city to get coverage for the Lehigh valley

• 2 months later...

Where wll the new transmitter be? They need to move it closer to the city to get coverage for the Lehigh valley

Here's the coverage areas old and new. The new one is west of the old transmitting area. But it looks awfully directional serving Philly, Southern Jersey and Wilmington and doesn't serve much of the Lehigh Valley, at all.

TVNewsCheck explains about WWSI plans for the January 6th launch of its newscasts.

They have to maintain city-grade signal over AC to maintain the license. They couldn't move it much closer than it is.

Besides, the Lehigh Valley already has two -- I think -- OTA Spanish-speaking newscasts. There's not much point in trying to finagle an OTA signal to the LV when it's mostly the Philly-area proper that is underserved.

They have to maintain city-grade signal over AC to maintain the license. They couldn't move it much closer than it is.

Besides, the Lehigh Valley already has two -- I think -- OTA Spanish-speaking newscasts. There's not much point in trying to finagle an OTA signal to the LV when it's mostly the Philly-area proper that is underserved.

Actually WFMZ does only the one at 11 during the week. WWSI can always get a translator to boost their coverage. I know there's a ton of FCC funsies involved in that but it might be worth it.

Yeah they are two of WWSI's reporters. They are going to cover stories for both stations so you'll see them a lot.

Cool. After some searching I did find an article describing this. And found his name, Christian Cazares. It will be interesting to see how much footage and reports they share.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Been watching it. Not understanding a single word of it, but watching it. (Look, I took German in high school, not spanish, okay?)

They're in a really small studio with three plasmas and a desk. Looks like standard Telemundo O&O graphics, with an open that's a bit more basic than what other stations are using. Interestingly I like these a bit more than Look F10, probably because they actually bother to transition them in and out.

One nice touch - the opens say "PENNSYLVANIA, NEW JERSEY, AND DELAWARE". 10 made a point of using that phrase as often as they could during what I've decided to call the "NewsCenter Era" from 1995 to 2003, and that was really when they came into their own.

One nice touch - the opens say "PENNSYLVANIA, NEW JERSEY, AND DELAWARE". 10 made a point of using that phrase as often as they could during what I've decided to call the "NewsCenter Era" from 1995 to 2003, and that was really when they came into their own.

The Newscenter name was short lived if I remember correctly. Only lasted a year I believe. The "News 10" era then began and that's where they mentioned PA NJ DE in the open.

The Newscenter name was short lived if I remember correctly. Only lasted a year I believe. The "News 10" era then began and that's where they mentioned PA NJ DE in the open.

Actually, the first and only "NewsCenter 10" opens feature Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. And Don LaFontaine.

[yt]C-smnWGgpLo[/yt]

NewsCenter 10 coincided with a remodel of their newsroom and did indeed last a very short time - from January 1995 to September 10, 1995 and the switch to NBC, when it did become News 10. However, the opens continued to use the phrase "Now, live from the NewsCenter", and the newsroom continued to be referred to as the "NewsCenter". Aside from a set on its fourth repaint and a smaller, questionable softer set for the mornings, nothing really began to change before the Olympics.

[yt]NkxMYOgjJM[/yt]

But throughout that era, they still used the NewsCenter area extremely often, and debuted a new one at some point... I think they relocated it back from where it was, because the area above was/is? the 10 show studio.

I used "NewsCenter Era" to coin the style and tone of the newscasts - flashier, more tabloid, and eventually obsessive about breaking news from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. I can't call it "Schwaid era" or "Mendte era" because the format generally began in 1995 under Steve Doerr and with Ken Matz and Jane Robelot. When Schwaid and Mendte got here it was already underway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived