The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I hadn't watched ABC 7 News regularly until a few days ago. It had been several years. It sure has gone downhill...Emily Barr ran things much better. First off, I think the current theme music they use is terrible. The Stimulus package (or what was News Series 2000 Plus) they used for 21 years was its signature theme and it was great how it never changed. The graphics that flash throughout the newscast are ridiculous and why add the "Eyewitness News" name back in the title? It was much better as simply ABC 7 News in my opinion. I also miss Ron Roland as the newscast announcer and the 11am newscast with Linda and Sylvia. They should've kept Sylvia and Mike Kaplan...

• Like 2

Dare I say, if Barr hadn't been so set in her ways, and letting stuff go borderline stale, we wouldn't be having the rip-off-the-band-aid changes we've seen recently. And, to be honest, everybody's gone downhill, it's just more noticeable when you've been away for awhile. For example, I watched a full edition of WGN's 9 o'clock news the other night, and I could barely get through it. That said, nobody is Fox-bad, yet.

Dare I say, if Barr hadn't been so set in her ways, and letting stuff go borderline stale, we wouldn't be having the rip-off-the-band-aid changes we've seen recently. And, to be honest, everybody's gone downhill, it's just more noticeable when you've been away for awhile. For example, I watched a full edition of WGN's 9 o'clock news the other night, and I could barely get through it. That said, nobody is Fox-bad, yet.

Things getting worse on the other side of the lake? The biggest thing I've noticed is all the Chicago stations have caught weather coverage overkill-itis...

In my experience staff cuts and automation take their toll on quality. I looked in on Eyewitness News at 4 the other night and the robocamera took off and started spinning around until somebody switched to full screen weather graphics. Cheryl Scott didn't miss a beat though...

Things getting worse on the other side of the lake?

On 7, I wouldn't say worse. The content and general presentation has seemed to rebound some over the last few months. I've never been one to stomach NBC 5, as I'm not a fan of their anchor and sports rosters and their theme, though the update to Look F is incredibly nice. If it had a bit more variety, I'd put their look ahead of ABC 7. I never realized how much of WGN's charm was in their music, and outside of mornings, it's really rough. Also, Micah Materre's shtick has gotten incredibly tired, and Suppelsa can't even outweigh her, anymore. Therefore, I have no real interest in any of their weekday evening product. I don't think things are as bad at Fox as they were, if only due to some recent stability (and really nothing else). CBS 2, unlike all other stations, is in a complete tail-spin, with no visible effort being made to stop the bleeding. It's like they don't even notice.

On 7, I wouldn't say worse. The content and general presentation has seemed to rebound some over the last few months. I've never been one to stomach NBC 5, as I'm not a fan of their anchor and sports rosters and their theme, though the update to Look F is incredibly nice. If it had a bit more variety, I'd put their look ahead of ABC 7. I never realized how much of WGN's charm was in their music, and outside of mornings, it's really rough. Also, Micah Materre's shtick has gotten incredibly tired, and Suppelsa can't even outweigh her, anymore. Therefore, I have no real interest in any of their weekday evening product. I don't think things are as bad at Fox as they were, if only due to some recent stability (and really nothing else). CBS 2, unlike all other stations, is in a complete tail-spin, with no visible effort being made to stop the bleeding. It's like they don't even notice.

I watched a newscast on CBS 2 awhile back and it was a snooze fest. The graphics are even dull and boring. I think the same anchors--anchor at 5, 6, and 10pm. I just did not care for any of it. Why is WGN adding so much news? Does it really get that high of ratings to need a 4-10am newscast?

I watched a newscast on CBS 2 awhile back and it was a snooze fest. The graphics are even dull and boring. I think the same anchors--anchor at 5, 6, and 10pm. I just did not care for any of it. Why is WGN adding so much news? Does it really get that high of ratings to need a 4-10am newscast?

Political ad revenue.

Yeah, the 11:30 update is likely permanent, and it does kind of make sense. I mean, barring any major updates, why not merge the 11 and noon, seeing as the content is virtually the same. It also allows WCL a little more airtime, and eliminating the host banter with the anchor or Tracy makes editing a little easier. It also allows the show to have a legit open, and not something fused together for that midnight rebroadcast.

Speaking of overnights, it looks like the 10pm rebroadcast will survive Rachael Ray's move to late night. The news will move back to it's longtime 1:07am slot, while Rachael will follow at 1:37, cutting 30 minutes off of World News Now.

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of completeness there have been a couple positions filled behind the scenes of Windy City Live after those recent departures of some key people:

David Plummer who has been a producer for WCL has been promoted to Line Producer and will oversee the Live production of WCL. He replaces the recently promoted Matt Knutson who became Executive Producer after the departure of Marlaine Selip.

Cassandra Belek has been hired as Booker/Producer for WCL coming over from Harpo Studios. She also has experience at ABC Studios and CBS's "The Talk". She replaces the recently departed Emerald-Jane Hunter.

The show is still looking for a Supervising Producer and they hope to have one by October.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7667-abc-7-filling-windy-city-live-staff-vacancies

• 2 weeks later...

ABC 7's not going down at 10 without a fight. A new promo campaign launched today touting the late newscast. Unlike some other recent promos, their not telling viewers to watch because of habit, but instead reminding viewers of their experience, which is a good move. The plugs also are far more serious and sophisticated in tone compared to recent efforts, which plays very well with the message.

One thing I noticed, though, is the set on which the promos were filmed. No, it's not from the new set, but it looks like a bit of a throwback to the digs they had in the early/mid-80's, with lots of beige and a big Circle-7 on the wall. Overall, it's a very nice promo.

• Like 1

ABC 7's not going down at 10 without a fight. A new promo campaign launched today touting the late newscast. Unlike some other recent promos, their not telling viewers to watch because of habit, but instead reminding viewers of their experience, which is a good move. The plugs also are far more serious and sophisticated in tone compared to recent efforts, which plays very well with the message.

One thing I noticed, though, is the set on which the promos were filmed. No, it's not from the new set, but it looks like a bit of a throwback to the digs they had in the early/mid-80's, with lots of beige and a big Circle-7 on the wall. Overall, it's a very nice promo.

More like the mid-late '70s specifically.

Yeah, WLS rarely fails to impress with their promos. I saw this late last night and did a double take. That's an impressive little set for a 30-second commercial.

No. I know what I said.

No. 77-78 to maybe 84-85. That tiny set existed at all 5 O&O's identically by the mid to late 70's. I know what you said too but that doesn't make you right.

Note the circle 7 is plain. God that looks sweet. It looks like they redressed the area they used fort talent opens and weather promos. Maybe it's a clue on the new direction for their new set?

I'm only talking about WLS. I'm assuming you're referring to the infamous coffin sets (picture above). If so, that set didn't come to Chicago until 1984 (possibly late '83). That said, the skyline portion (also referenced above) reminds me of the set that debuted in '81.

Anyway, I am surprised that there's only a Ron Magers version...for now. Also, I think the only thing that would've improved the spot is if the News Series 2000 signature was incorporated into the music, but that would understandably yike up the production cost.

I'm only talking about WLS. I'm assuming you're referring to the infamous coffin sets (picture above). If so, that set didn't come to Chicago until 1984 (possibly late '83). That said, the skyline portion (also referenced above) reminds me of the set that debuted in '81.

I was thinking of this based on the position of the 7... I'm not sure if it was from before 80 or not at WLS... Ours here was from at least 77... It looks like we were thinking of 2 different things... But yeah that 84 set has the same circle 7 just about on it. The colors are very late 70's like I was thinking of though. Those 80's sets were awfully dark...

Note the circle 7 is plain. God that looks sweet. It looks like they redressed the area they used fort talent opens and weather promos. Maybe it's a clue on the new direction for their new set?

I guess you could say this promo is connected to the new set in some way, but we have to wait and see how they tie everything together once the set is revealed. I see this promo as more of a re-imanging of ones they have done previously with a nod to the past with the 'Circle 7'.

Honestly, I am tired of seeing the 'lets stand/walk outside together', various shots of people, places and things around the city, etc... type of promos that have become too common place. It's refreshing to see something a bit different once and awhile.

Ben and Stacey are a very physical anchor team.

[MEDIA=instagram]8swQFap41O[/MEDIA]

Did u know that abc is looking for a new meteorologist at their website. The website said meteorologist job with cbm or nws with 5 years of experience who do u think is leaving next between Tracy and Phil. I would say Phil is the next one to leave since he is not a female.

Did u know that abc is looking for a new meteorologist at their website. The website said meteorologist job with cbm or nws with 5 years of experience who do u think is leaving next between Tracy and Phil. I would say Phil is the next one to leave since he is not a female.

We've discussed it before, and general consensus is that they're preparing to hire a new fifth meteorologist to fill the void when Jerry retires (likely within a year).

WLS won the post game Cubs coverage from game 5 with a 5.1 but lost to WBBM's NCIS airing which got a 7.4... WLS won the 25-54 with a 2.6 to 2's 1.4 however.

WMAQ won the 10pm with an 8.2 / 13 SHR to WLS's 7.6 / 12 SHR...

WMAQ looks much more competitive with WLS's former 10pm guy as managing editor... That works wonders I guess...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/cubs-win-wls-post-game-coverage-wins/156890

The above was from a Feder article... Not included was a couple of other numbers that I don't know why TVspy omitted:

9pm:

WGN 4.4 / 6.6 SHR

WFLD 1.8 / 2.7 SHR

10pm 25-54:

WMAQ 4.6

WLS 2.7

WBBM 1.2

WGN 0.8