WAVE 3 New Graphics

Working4You

Looks as if Raycom is getting a new graphics package ready! WAVE 3 in Louisville, KY has implemented some pretty nice and different graphics mostly likely for May sweeps. The logo looks to be slightly modified as well. Overally I really like what they did and hope to see it on other Raycom stations!

Check out the linc below with a clip with the new stuff.

http://www.wave3.com/category/240203/video-landing-page?clipId=8807174&autostart=true

Here is their live stream when news time:

http://www.wave3.com/category/200260/wave-3-live

I don't know about what is going on with WAVE 3, but when I was there technically they are at least in HD. Problem is WHAS and even now WLKY (Which are bastard children in the technical aspect) is still very strong in the market. Add in WDRB and it makes for a market where WAVE 3 will have problems in.

• 2 months later...

KAIT has adopted this package as of yesterday. Could be a sign they may be going out Raycom-wide. I hope not, KAIT does at least seem slightly better implemented than WAVE's original adoption.

Just checked and KAIT made them look a lot better than WAVE. I'll be interested to see what WMC does with them if/when they do adopt them.

If WMC get these at all, I'd wonder if they change it to a blue/gold, with some red, that they've had consistently with their graphics since 1995. This standard package would be hard to envision there (though you could argue they are due for a change).

I still hate the lower thirds, but I agree with Mike91 that the rest of the package isn't that bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The new graphics made their first WMC debut today with this graphic posted on Facebook:

1231658_10151680062077756_1783226974_n.png

They have not debuted on TV yet as of the 4 PM, but WMC usually debuts the new graphics at 5, so we shall see. Here is a live stream: http://www.wmctv.com/category/196691/action-news-5-live-video-coverage

Ew ew ew!! Someone does not know how to use gradients, opacity and color (in general) effectively! Plus those forecast boxes are just poorly developed. It looks like someone doesn't really know how to use C4D in conjunction with Photoshop or Illustrator well. Just... My eyes!!! :bang:

I actually think that graphic was made by their intern, who has been interning at our ABC affiliate for the last year or so and recently came to NBC, so he's used to Weather Central. They should look a lot better when the chief steps in at 5 (if they even debut then).

The new graphics made their first WMC debut today with this graphic posted on Facebook:

1231658_10151680062077756_1783226974_n.png

They have not debuted on TV yet as of the 4 PM, but WMC usually debuts the new graphics at 5, so we shall see. Here is a live stream: http://www.wmctv.com/category/196691/action-news-5-live-video-coverage

Yeah, it's not likely WMC will debut the new graphics today (I saw that same graphic during the noon newscast, but they are still using their current graphics for weather). Usually, and from what I've observed over the last several years, any new graphic rollouts at that station were often done in the middle of the week on a Wednesday either at Noon or in the early evening, with the promos done first with the new look.

Yeah, it's not likely WMC will debut the new graphics today (I saw that same graphic during the noon newscast, but they are still using their current graphics for weather). Usually, and from what I've observed over the last several years, any new graphic rollouts at that station were often done in the middle of the week on a Wednesday either at Noon or in the early evening, with the promos done first with the new look.

Not to mention before launching the current Raycom graphics, they were first implemented by the weather department five months before the full switchover. Obviously not sure it will take that long this time, but a random weather graphic popping up today isn't really an indication it's imminent.

At any rate, they still look as hideous as feared and if WMC keeps the awful blue/white look (I was hoping for a blue/gold modification) that's just another reason for me not to watch WMC much these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I was never a graphics or branding student, and I don't live in that DMA, but the WAVE 3 logo is way too small. It looks like a sponsor or some other sort of secondary, but still important, link. Make the main station logo bigger and shrink the "65 years xxxx-xxxx" and maybe bring it underneath the main logo.

Yuck. Looks so 1990s, and they actually think those graphics look good? Good grief.

I do like the functionality of it (ie: the detailed forecast by each day, other similar features, etc.). But those colors I think are what make the package look so tacky. If they were to tone down the colors, it might actually look decent (by Raycom standards).

Archived