PIX 11 News Changes

nynewslover

There's no need to rebrand, just stick with PIX11 News. It rolls off the tongue easier and it's a brand that sticks with viewers. There's no need for gimmicks, all they need to do is focus on content and delivery.

I would strongly beg to differ, the only thing good during the Sam Zell-era at WPIX was the rebranding back to PIX 11. (Especially a revised version of the Circle 11 logo). As far as the elements are concerned in terms of music, go with an updated version of the custom news package by Non-Stop music, or even better have Edd Kalehoff compose a new theme with the WPIX Custom signature. (I don't know if that works or not, but I digress!)

I am not saying drop the new "CIrcle 11" logo, if they choose to rebrand (a HUGE if), that should be part of it.

I do agree at this point that after the failed Bill Carey regime, their main focus should indeed be on content and delivery. Mark Effron appears to want Channel 11 News to succeed, as do I.

I also agree that the WPIX Custom News Package should be resurrected and/or updated. But I am thinking if Non-Stop Music doesn't do it, then Rampage Music New York should do it, as they composed the theme used by WNBC from 2003-2008.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no need to rebrand, just stick with PIX11 News. It rolls off the tongue easier and it's a brand that sticks with viewers. There's no need for gimmicks, all they need to do is focus on content and delivery.

Agreed. PIX is a name everybody knows, and it reminds us of Jim Walker and Kaity Tong (which is the last positive thing I remember about this station).

I am not saying drop the new "CIrcle 11" logo, if they choose to rebrand (a HUGE if), that should be part of it.

I do agree at this point that after the failed Bill Carey regime, their main focus should indeed be on content and delivery. Mark Effron appears to want Channel 11 News to succeed, as do I.

I also agree that the WPIX Custom News Package should be resurrected and/or updated. But I am thinking if Non-Stop Music doesn't do it, then Rampage Music New York should do it, as they composed the theme used by WNBC from 2003-2008.

IF Rampage were to do that... someone should blatantly ask upfront for no broken fax machines.

IF Rampage were to do that... someone should blatantly ask upfront for no broken fax machines.

When I said that Rampage should consider doing an update of the WPIX Custom Package, it was because they did such a great job with WNBC's 2003-2008 theme, which the station used to great effect. WPIX needs something along those lines.

Also, consider this.....WPIX should take pages out of the playbooks of sister stations WGN and KTLA. They are extremely competitive in the mornings, and people actually watch them at night. Perhaps Mark Effron should consider bringing in individuals from one, or perhaps, both of those stations.

Also, consider this.....WPIX should take pages out of the playbooks of sister stations WGN and KTLA. They are extremely competitive in the mornings, and people actually watch them at night. Perhaps Mark Effron should consider bringing in individuals from one, or perhaps, both of those stations.

This.

New York needs a KTLA-esque station. I was hoping WLNY would fill that niche...

This.

No, New York actually needs a KCAL-esque station. If The CW fails (and I have my opinions on that), as I have said, WPIX needs to consider programming news in non-traditional timeslots. 8-10 p.m. every night, and 3-5 p.m. on weekdays, to go with their already established broadcasts. Also, consider expanding the morning news into the 9 a.m. hour. Stop broadcasting "Maury" three times a day. The DNA schtick is kind of old.

This.

WLNY hasn't filled any niche. Ratings for its original programming are next to 0 if not a big goose egg. The Couch has never been above a .2 in households and is always a 0 in demos. The News at 9 made a very slight gain to .4 EXIT 10 (is there an Exit 10 anywhere on Long Island?) is a zero.

What a waste of an opportunity but I'm off topic. Anything more belongs in another thread. So in answer to the quote, yes, it would be nice to have more of a niche station. I do believe PIX has some talent and a good mix of veterans and newcomers and now has to relearn how to use them in a decent newscast

This morning the morning news had those zebra walls covered as they do at night. I wander if this is permanent?

WPIX can make all the modifications it wants.....It's not going to change the soft and un-serious feel of their news set.

It has to go.

http://newyorkmedia.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/auditions-begin-for-wpix-new-co-anchor-as-ratings-keep-faltering/

Auditions are now underway to find a "yang" to Tamsen Fadal's "yin."

What irks me about this article (and should irk all of you as well) is learning that among the candidates is a comedian and former "Daily Show" correspondent.

Are you kidding me? In that case, give ME the job! I have the education (two college degrees), experience and skills. Why not? Auditioning an entertainer, for crying out loud? How really bad is the situation on 42nd Street that it comes to this?

http://newyorkmedia.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/auditions-begin-for-wpix-new-co-anchor-as-ratings-keep-faltering/

Auditions are now underway to find a "yang" to Tamsen Fadal's "yin."

What irks me about this article (and should irk all of you as well) is learning that among the candidates is a comedian and former "Daily Show" correspondent.

Are you kidding me? In that case, give ME the job! I have the education (two college degrees), experience and skills. Why not? Auditioning an entertainer, for crying out loud? How really bad is the situation on 42nd Street that it comes to this?

I can believe Unger is a candidate. Put his lack of news experience aside, his liberal bent is why he's meant to be cable news fodder...not a hard-hitting local news anchor.

I can believe Unger is a candidate. Put his lack of news experience aside, his liberal bent is why he's meant to be cable news fodder...not a hard-hitting local news anchor.

Yes, I agree. He is much better suited for MSNBC than WPIX.

That's true. Yet, In terms of content and delivery, how would one define it? Be more like channel 7 or channel 2, or go for the flashy substance of Fox 5? Mind you most people would want to have a smart transition between news and Family Guy reruns.

That's true. Yet, In terms of content and delivery, how would one define it? Be more like channel 7 or channel 2, or go for the flashy substance of Fox 5? Mind you most people would want to have a smart transition between news and Family Guy reruns.

When Bill Carey wrecked the Channel 11 news operation, I believe that he was going for more flash and less substance (like FOX 5). It failed miserably. I believe that if Channel 11 is going to be relevant again, much less competitive, they need to be the exact opposite of FOX 5. They need to be who they were before.

I will now add to my comments regarding the auditioning of a comedian for the lead co-anchor position at WPIX. Many probably read what I had to say, regarding giving me the job, or at least letting me audition, and thought I was joking.

Far from it.

If they are willing to let Brian Unger, of all people, try out, Channel 11 probably will let ANYONE try out. Again, I have the education, experience and skills, at least, and if asked, I will gladly lay out my qualifications. Plus, after finishing grad school, I am actively seeking a job.

Channel 11 has officially hit "rock bottom" now. How they could let an entertainer try out for the co-anchor spot is beyond my comprehension. After learning this, I feel that they cannot do any worse than a punk like me.

It's not that far fetched of an idea to hire Unger based on his background. Look at Chris Wragge, he used to be a correspondent for ET, then sports anchor, secondary anchor, main anchor, eventually anchor at the national level. If Unger has the camera presense and chemistry with Tamsen, I don't see why not. At least he is not a nobody who is imported from an obscure television market. that would be worse. I would prefer a person with local experience, but I can't think of a male anchor that fits that description. There is a serious lack of good male talents in the NY market for any station looking for a replacement, not just WPIX.

It's not that far fetched of an idea to hire Unger based on his background. Look at Chris Wragge, he used to be a correspondent for ET, then sports anchor, secondary anchor, main anchor, eventually anchor at the national level. If Unger has the camera presense and chemistry with Tamsen, I don't see why not. At least he is not a nobody who is imported from an obscure television market. that would be worse. I would prefer a person with local experience, but I can't think of a male anchor that fits that description. There is a serious lack of good male talents in the NY market for any station looking for a replacement, not just WPIX.

My only real issue is his (potential) liberal bias. If the man can read a prompter, he's halfway there. Keep the comedy in check and take his opinion out of the matter, give him an audition...the worst they can say is yes.

My only real issue is his (potential) liberal bias. If the man can read a prompter, he's halfway there. Keep the comedy in check and take his opinion out of the matter, give him an audition...the worst they can say is yes.

Well, I would find any type of bias a bit concerning. Nevermind if was liberal or conservative. You also have to consider where he is working at, if the place of employment does things a certain way, then what can you do? He wants/needs a job, so he performs to what his bosses want (even if that means reporting things in a loose/fun/satirical type of ways or if its done in a liberal/conservative type of way). So if WPIX was auditioning someone from FOX News, would you have an issue with it?

Well, I would find any type of bias a bit concerning. Nevermind if was liberal or conservative. You also have to consider where he is working at, if the place of employment does things a certain way, then what can you do? He wants/needs a job, so he performs to what his bosses want (even if that means reporting things in a loose/fun/satirical type of ways or if its done in a liberal/conservative type of way). So if WPIX was auditioning someone from FOX News, would you have an issue with it?

Any bias.

In any case, I still think that Unger's audition/potential employment is the dumbest idea in the history of New York broadcasting. He may very well have the ability to read a 'prompter, the on-air presence, and chemistry with Tamsen (he certainly has the face, I will concede). It changes very little, though. A comedian. Lead co-anchor. Nation's largest media market.

FOX 5 executives must themselves be laughing. And hard.

In any case, I still think that Unger's audition/potential employment is the dumbest idea in the history of New York broadcasting. He may very well have the ability to read a 'prompter, the on-air presence, and chemistry with Tamsen (he certainly has the face, I will concede). It changes very little, though. A comedian. Lead co-anchor. Nation's largest media market.

Well he did co-anchor Extra at one point with Dayna Devon. So, that's a big risk to take!

So a comedian on one 10:00 newscast, and a stiff with no personality on the other. I know which one I would take. (I think we all know the stiff I am referring to.....initials are DA ;-) )

Archived