PIX 11 News Changes

nynewslover

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, how necessary is a sports reporter. Their sports segment covers all the headlines of the day in a tight little package. And "The Day In Pix" being gone is probably the biggest travesty. The 30 seconds out of any newscast anywhere where you had the images telling the stories, no flashy graphics and no over-hyped, HD-makeup'd talking head needed.

We're really happy that the only "different" newscast is drifting back toward something you can get on literally every other local newscast? Guess they gotta give the people what they want.

Really, how necessary is a sports reporter. Their sports segment covers all the headlines of the day in a tight little package. And "The Day In Pix" being gone is probably the biggest travesty. The 30 seconds out of any newscast anywhere where you had the images telling the stories, no flashy graphics and no over-hyped, HD-makeup'd talking head needed.

We're really happy that the only "different" newscast is drifting back toward something you can get on literally every other local newscast? Guess they gotta give the people what they want.

Yes, we are happy that the crap-tacular that posed as a "different" newscast is almost gone. Bill Carey did a great disservice to the loyal viewers of the station with his flaky changes. If we want tabloid garbage, we can head over to FOX 5, which most people had been doing anyway.

The format didn't work, plain and simple. Ratings were plummeting. Sadly it takes a new news director (and the departure of the former assistant ND) for WPIX to figure that out.

They air Mets games on the weekends and Jets games on Mondays plus there are ten professional sports teams in the New York City metropolitan area.

Another thing worth mentioning is that you have to look at this from a business and ratings standpoint. The format was given two years to work (too much time in my opinion).

I think it has finally reached a point where Channel 11 executives could not--at least with a straight face--sell the news product to advertisers. Therefore, they are (slowly) going back to what worked before Bill Carey practically trashed the joint.

I can only hope that WPIX can recover from the Bill Carey error (pun intended). It took several years and several people to clean up his mess at WCBS. I hope that won't be the case at Channel 11.

• 2 weeks later...

Just speculating, but Ross Shimabuku could be filling the vacated sports anchor slot at WPIX. He just signed off from KSWB-TV in San Diego, and he indicated that he was headed to NYC. Both stations are owned by Tribune, and WPIX seems like the most logical place for him to wind up at.

Just speculating, but Ross Shimabuku could be filling the vacated sports anchor slot at WPIX. He just signed off from KSWB-TV in San Diego, and he indicated that he was headed to NYC. Both stations are owned by Tribune, and WPIX seems like the most logical place for him to wind up at.

For those of you wondering who Ross Shimabuku is: http://fox5sandiego.com/bio/ross-shimabuku/#axzz2U62SQSDU

For those of you wondering who Ross Shimabuku is: http://fox5sandiego.com/bio/ross-shimabuku/#axzz2U62SQSDU

He is best known around the internet for making those comments on Danica Patrick. Either way, if he doesn't wind up at PIX, he'll wind up at another station in NY. Ross is a goofball, and schtick gets old kind of fast, but i've seen worse sports anchors. Before he came to San Diego, he was the sports anchor at KTVK in Phoenix.

Worth noting that they're hiring for Sr. Executive Producer:

https://careers2-tribune.icims.com/jobs/25055/executive-producer%2c-sr./job?hub=8

PIX11 has an opening for a Sr. Executive Producer to lead the station's daily news programs and is the key partner of the VP/News Director in creating an implementing strategies to improve the news product and dramatically increase ratings.

"Improve the news product" may just be the acknowledgement that it sucks that we've been looking for.

Worth noting that they're hiring for Sr. Executive Producer:

https://careers2-tribune.icims.com/jobs/25055/executive-producer%2c-sr./job?hub=8

"Improve the news product" may just be the acknowledgement that it sucks that we've been looking for.

But really, they didn't need to acknowledge it. Everyone knew.

They turned from the 'PIX 11 News' to the 'POS 11 News'.

THANK YOU, Channel 11!!!!! Admitting that you have a problem is the first step, as the old saying goes.....

Friends of Dan Mannarino say he has posted on facebook that he is the new co-anchor alongside Kaity Tong on weekends. Can anyone confirm? If its true, its interesting that this occured before a weekday anchor team is announced. This also raises the question of who gets Dan's regular morning spot.

Added- It's true. I just checked and he has an open page where he announced his new position as weekend co-anchor and reporting 3 mornings a week

Good for Dan, he is best paired with someone. Glad that WPIX is going to a traditional format, at least on weekends.

It is odd that they would announce this before a weekday pair, which further leads me to believe they will import a male co-anchor.

I don't know how I feel about Dan joining the weekend team. Nonetheless, I wish him well.

The weekend newscasts always seems to have a more traditional feeling with two great veterans (Kaity and Craig) at the helm of the ship. Not sure if that's why the weekend newscast does better in ratings. To add a young newbie is an interesting choice. I would have chosen a person with more experience like a Peter Thorne, Jim Watkins or a Dick Brennan. Unfortunately, WPIX has no other male anchors of those caliber to choose from.

http://newyorkmedia.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/exclusive-wpix-to-add-evening-co-anchor-sports-reporter/

What is in the article is GOOD NEWS for Channel 11. The "error" of Bill Carey and a FAILED news format appears to be officially over.

Again, Mark Effron also needs to ditch the crappy music and graphics. And trash the current news set.

Finally, the station as a whole needs to consider dropping the "PIX 11" branding. I associate this with the FAILED Tribune regime of Sam Zell and Randy Michaels. Go back to being just "Channel 11," or if they really need to brand, consider going back to "11 Alive" from the 1970s/80s.

http://newyorkmedia.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/exclusive-wpix-to-add-evening-co-anchor-sports-reporter/

What is in the article is GOOD NEWS for Channel 11. The "error" of Bill Carey and a FAILED news format appears to be officially over.

Again, Mark Effron also needs to ditch the crappy music and graphics. And trash the current news set.

Finally, the station as a whole needs to consider dropping the "PIX 11" branding. I associate this with the FAILED Tribune regime of Sam Zell and Randy Michaels. Go back to being just "Channel 11," or if they really need to brand, consider going back to "11 Alive" from the 1970s/80s.

While I agree PIX 11 has a very negative conotation, not sure a rebranding is necessary. However if they were to go that route, "News 11", "11NY", are some considerations.

I also agree, the more I see that set, the more awful I think it is.

While I agree PIX 11 has a very negative conotation, not sure a rebranding is necessary. However if they were to go that route, "News 11", "11NY", are some considerations.

I also agree, the more I see that set, the more awful I think it is.

I suggest a rebrand of WPIX because I strongly feel that the Tribune slate needs to be wiped clean of Sam Zell. I believe it was he that ordered a rebrand of the CW-affiliated stations not long after he took over. Not that "CW11" exactly rolled off one's tongue, but it's well known he wasn't a fan of The CW.

You suggest "News 11" for a possible (news) re-brand. How about resurrecting "Action News" in New York? Most other newscasts brand themselves. WABC has gone by "Eyewitness News" for decades, in recent years, WNBC has reinstated "News 4 New York," and WWOR's only newscast is "The 10 O'Clock News," which was also used by sister station WNYW.

You may ask why rebrand WPIX's newscasts. I ask, why not?

Another thing to consider.....WPIX's news operation, and the station as a whole, have SO VERY LITTLE to lose, in my opinion. So I believe that something simple as a rebrand, can and mostly likely will, only help them.

Another rebranding idea? "WPIX Local 11"/"Local 11 News." I am sure that in addition to wanting to produce original programming for its stations, Tribune might also want its stations to beef up on more local programming, such as (more) news and sports.

It's the perfect combination the way I see it. Original programming from Tribune, along with an increased local presence (as well as relying less on weak re-runs), may be the tonic that Channel 11 and other struggling Tribune stations need.

There's no need to rebrand, just stick with PIX11 News. It rolls off the tongue easier and it's a brand that sticks with viewers. There's no need for gimmicks, all they need to do is focus on content and delivery.

Another thing to consider.....WPIX's news operation, and the station as a whole, have SO VERY LITTLE to lose, in my opinion. So I believe that something simple as a rebrand, can and mostly likely will, only help them.

Another rebranding idea? "WPIX Local 11"/"Local 11 News." I am sure that in addition to wanting to produce original programming for its stations, Tribune might also want its stations to beef up on more local programming, such as (more) news and sports.

It's the perfect combination the way I see it. Original programming from Tribune, along with an increased local presence (as well as relying less on weak re-runs), may be the tonic that Channel 11 and other struggling Tribune stations need.

I would strongly beg to differ, the only thing good during the Sam Zell-era at WPIX was the rebranding back to PIX 11. (Especially a revised version of the Circle 11 logo). As far as the elements are concerned in terms of music, go with an updated version of the custom news package by Non-Stop music, or even better have Edd Kalehoff compose a new theme with the WPIX Custom signature. (I don't know if that works or not, but I digress!)

Archived