The CW Affiliate Apocalypse of 2016

The Frog

Those were on a way, way smaller scale than a CBS-Time Warner or CBS-Sony Pictures/Music deal would be, though. We're talking about hugely influential properties with the power to reach more people than a duopoly in Charlotte or a fairly small broadcast chain.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewers of KCAL's 9 Prime News have nothing to worry about. The primetime news block will remain intact and it's not because KTLA will renew it's affiliation deal with the CW or it moves to KDOC for whatever reason.

There is no simpler way to put it than this: the 2015-16 season will be the CW's last.

CBS and Warner Bros have no reason to keep the CW alive. I doubt that the network's craptastic ratings are wowing advertisers. Even if the network is making money, it's probably not making enough of a profit to justify the investment of CBS and Warner Bros.

Current CW affiliates will initially b**** about having to scramble to fill hours of programming, but all will ultimately be better off as profitable independents. Most will have schedules chock full of syndicated programming and movies typical of independents and minor "network" (MyTV and Ion) affiliates. Some will become or remain news intensive (like KCAL and KTLA). Others will add telecasts of local sports (like WGN).

But most importantly, the CW's death should mark the end of attempts to add to the amount of major networks. The failures of UPN, the WB and Pax ought to have been enough to make execs realize that viewers are satisfied by the Big Four.

But most importantly, the CW's death should mark the end of attempts to add to the amount of major networks. The failures of UPN, the WB and Pax ought to have been enough to make execs realize that viewers are satisfied by the Big Four.

Waiting for TVNewsTalk to launch a network, with its acquisition of Local Tv, LLC. :awesome:

The Big Four and cable. The "netlets", in addition to poor management, had to contend with cable channels that suffered fewer issues with programming quality.

Also: notice how literally none of The CW's scripted series are produced by studios that aren't CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television. Nobody else thinks it's worth it to have a show on The CW nowadays.

The viability of being an entertainment-intensive independent is, at least right now, questionable; there is a dearth of first-run syndicated scripted series nowadays (the netlets and cable choked them out), and putting daytime talk shows in primetime is not going to cut it.

The Big Four and cable. The "netlets", in addition to poor management, had to contend with cable channels that suffered fewer issues with programming quality.

Also: notice how literally none of The CW's scripted series are produced by studios that aren't CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television. Nobody else thinks it's worth it to have a show on The CW nowadays.

The viability of being an entertainment-intensive independent is, at least right now, questionable; there is a dearth of first-run syndicated scripted series nowadays (the netlets and cable choked them out), and putting daytime talk shows in primetime is not going to cut it.

I think most of these soon to be former CW affiliates will air off network syndicated reruns in primetime. MyTV does this and is reportedly very profitable.

CBS and Warner Bros have no reason to keep the CW alive. I doubt that the network's craptastic ratings are wowing advertisers. Even if the network is making money, it's probably not making enough of a profit to justify the investment of CBS and Warner Bros.

CBS and Warner have all the reason to keep CW alive, in one form or another.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/netflix-cw-deal-cbs-warner-bros.html

http://paidcontent.org/2012/05/30/how-netflix-really-did-save-the-cw/

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/446733-How_The_CW_Stays_Undead.php

The failures of UPN, the WB and Pax ought to have been enough to make execs realize that viewers are satisfied by the Big Four.

Let's face it. UPN never was seen as much more than "the Star Trek network," and PAX was just a corny religious network that marketed at the grey-hair crowd. However, I still remain baffled how The WB didn't last longer than it did. It focused on and held onto a rather dedicated young audience without disenfranchising a wider audience, thanks to a rather good programming mix and great marketing. I still believe the failure there was that executives folded much too soon, and not the fault of the product.

Let's face it. UPN never was seen as much more than "the Star Trek network," and PAX was just a corny religious network that marketed at the grey-hair crowd. However, I still remain baffled how The WB didn't last longer than it did. It focused on and held onto a rather dedicated young audience without disenfranchising a wider audience, thanks to a rather good programming mix and great marketing. I still believe the failure there was that executives folded much too soon, and not the fault of the product.

I agree. And I would hope that the exects at the CW would see this, drawing some of the same conclusions and design similar marketing strategies. I would like to see the Dubba dubba dubba dubba dubba-U C, but I don't think that I will.

Well in the old days' date=' CBS used to be known as the [b']C[/b]olumbia Broadcasting System. But if it does happen, with TW and/or Sony, it would take eons to get approved. Anti-Trust, FTC, FCC and several other regulatory approvals. That alone would be a huge pill to swallow.

The Columbia in CBS's name actually came from Columbia Records, which CBS later owned as part of their CBS Records division... before Tisch sold the record division off to Sony/Columbia Pictures in 1989. Interesting to note that Columbia Pictures never has had any connections with CBS itself despite the name (Columbia being a personification of America, ergo the Torch Lady.)

And for any anti-trust considerations, remember that the FTC put a rubber stamp on Comcast's purchase of NBCUni. And unlike Comcast/NBCUni, a CBS/SPE merger would have little to no overlap to speak of. It would only take about a year to consummate. (After all, Paramount is a Viacom property and only is connected to CBS through National Amusements chair Sumner Redstone.)

I agree. And I would hope that the exects at the CW would see this, drawing some of the same conclusions and design similar marketing strategies. I would like to see the Dubba dubba dubba dubba dubba-U C, but I don't think that I will.

The combined network should have always retained The WB's name, or make some attempt to revert to that name now. The CW was, is, and always will be the dumbest name a network could ever have, with no meaning, no identity or any direction to speak of.

And out of all the affils past and present, only soon-to-be CW affiliate WCCB/Charlotte has even attempted to make any on-air mention of the CW being a combination of CBS and The WB. No other affiliate ever has. That should tell you something. And it isn't good.

The combined network should have always retained The WB's name, or make some attempt to revert to that name now. The CW was, is, and always will be the dumbest name a network could ever have, with no meaning, no identity or any direction to speak of.

During the merger negotiations, the WB camp suggested CWB. The CBS/UPN side shot it down. Blame Leslie Moonves's ego.

During the merger negotiations, the WB camp suggested CWB. The CBS/UPN side shot it down. Blame Leslie Moonves's ego.

I blame Les Moonves for a lot of things. I'll just add this to the list.

Personally, when I first heard (albeit through this site) that The WB and UPN were merging into The CW, I was excited. Not only were all the best programming from both netlets going to be all in one place, but I also thought that it would translate into higher primetime ratings for WPIX here in New York.

The problem with The CW nowadays, in my opinion, is that it is being programmed TOO MUCH like The WB. When The CW first started out, you had programming that targeted many demographics, urban, suburban, men, women, family, etc. That original spirit is missing. I believe that if The CW is going to survive beyond 2015-2016, they desperately need to broaden their audience (again).

If the network's executives are unable or unwilling to do that, then they deserve to fail. Personally, I would like to see WPIX itself become another KCAL, programming news in the 8-10pm and perhaps 3-5pm time slots.

Tribune yanking the CW affiliation from KPLR in St. Louis would present some difficulties as far as finding a suitable replacement.

Your options are KDNL, KNLC, and WRBU.

KDNL is out because they just recently (within the last couple of years) extended their affiliation with ABC, and with STLNow, they are somewhat filling the news programming that ABC wants.

KNLC is potentially out for two reasons; Larry Rice, the owner would not program many of the shows that the CW airs (no Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Supernatural, Cult, The Carrie Diaries, etc.); Additionally, without aid of Cable/Satellite, most St. Louisians can't receive KNLC OTA.

WRBU is out because it can't pass HD (they can't pass the 720p feed of MyNet), and the owners are cash strapped. Another wrinkle is they appear to be happy with MyNet.

You might as well add "screwing over the entire network from the get-go" to the list as well:

http://www.laweekly.com/2006-04-27/news/screwing-the-tv-viewers/

The problem with The CW nowadays, in my opinion, is that it is being programmed TOO MUCH like The WB. When The CW first started out, you had programming that targeted many demographics, urban, suburban, men, women, family, etc. That original spirit is missing. I believe that if The CW is going to survive beyond 2015-2016, they desperately need to broaden their audience (again).

If the network's executives are unable or unwilling to do that, then they deserve to fail. Personally, I would like to see WPIX itself become another KCAL, programming news in the 8-10pm and perhaps 3-5pm time slots.

The (relatively) new guy in charge wants to expand the audience:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/26/business/la-et-fi-ct-the-cw-20130326

Some other things to consider.....

I agree that if KTLA drops The CW, KCAL would most likely become the affiliate (or O&O). However, there is no way that they would mess with what already works in primetime. I could see the network, as someone suggested earlier, airing programming either from 6-8pm or 11pm-1am.

Remember, CBS has O&O KOVR-TV up the road in Sacramento. They invoke "early prime" as well, airing CBS primetime programming from 7-10pm, and then airing an hour-long newscast at 10pm.

In New York, CBS-owned WLNY cannot be seen in the five boroughs proper or Northern New Jersey without cable and/or satellite.

In Chicago, CBS does not own a second station. I am personally surprised that CBS has not approached Weigel about possibly buying WCIU.

I consider all of the above, and believe that The CW has no choice but to hope that Tribune re-ups on its stations come 2016. If not, they should just cut their losses and disappear.

I agree that if KTLA drops The CW, KCAL would most likely become the affiliate (or O&O). However, there is no way that they would mess with what already works in primetime. I could see the network, as someone suggested earlier, airing programming either from 6-8pm or 11pm-1am.

Remember, CBS has O&O KOVR-TV up the road in Sacramento. They invoke "early prime" as well, airing CBS primetime programming from 7-10pm, and then airing an hour-long newscast at 10pm.

In New York, CBS-owned WLNY cannot be seen in the five boroughs proper or Northern New Jersey without cable and/or satellite.

In Chicago, CBS does not own a second station. I am personally surprised that CBS has not approached Weigel about possibly buying WCIU.

I consider all of the above, and believe that The CW has no choice but to hope that Tribune re-ups on its stations come 2016. If not, they should just cut their losses and disappear.

I think disappearing is far from their minds. I would think that Tribune might say that they want some ownership stake in the network otherwise they will walk.

I think disappearing is far from their minds. I would think that Tribune might say that they want some ownership stake in the network otherwise they will walk.

Let's also consider this.....Tribune had a 25% stake in The WB, and really didn't do anything with it, as far as I know. Let's say that Tribune seeks an ownership stake in The CW as a condition to renew their agreement. Hopefully they will have a say in some of its decisions, especially programming.

That said, it is not likely going to happen. I don't see CBS willing or able to cede power over The CW.

The (relatively) new guy in charge wants to expand the audience:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/26/business/la-et-fi-ct-the-cw-20130326

Uh-huh. Then the article proceeds to give the examples of "Beauty and the Beast," "Emily Owens," and "The Carrie Diaries" as shows that are supposed to expand the audience beyond their primarily teen female demographic. Riiiiiight.

They should just rename themselves to Lifetime Jr. and be done with it.

Julie Chen's career trumps them all.

Julie Chen's career trumps them all.

Yes. We could've had a revival of 'Pyramid' with Andy Richter, instead we got 'The Talk'.

If only Richter was sleeping with the boss.

WCIU is too much of a cash cow for Weigel. Plus it serves IIRC as the hub for their subchannel roster (MeTV, This, Movies, etc.). I don't see them selling... and they are better off as an indie than with the CW.

For all practical purposes, if Tribune does bow out in 2016, the network simply can't recover from that level of defections. Even if CBS puts CW on "early prime" hours with KCAL, converts WLNY to a cable-only CW affil, and puts the CW on WBFS and KXTA, they still have zero or very limited options in Chicago, St. Louis, Washington, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver and NOLA.

If they lose the Tribune affils... the network is simply done.

Archived