Larry Conners fired from KMOV over controversial Facebook comment

Mrtraveler01

Some drama unfolding here in Market 21 this week as KMOV fires veteran anchor Larry Conners unceremoniously over some controversial comments he made on Facebook regarding his issues with the IRS and his interview with Obama last year.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/05/larry_conners_kmov_out_irs_comments.php

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/larry-conners-fired-from-kmov/article_eca2b7fc-92a3-5578-b866-914639a3da6c.html

Oh, you got to be kidding me, Larry Conners fired at KMOV?! That's cold!

Why is it cold? Did he not make those comments? He knew what he was doing, he knows that as journalist he is held to a higher standard of integrity/impartiality. He made his opinions public and basically lied in regards to his situation with the IRS. He did this to himself and no one else. It gets tiring to hear about journalists inserting themselves into stories for publicity and it gives a bad rap to those who do the right thing.

Why is it cold? Did he not make those comments? He knew what he was doing, he knows that as journalist he is held to a higher standard of integrity/impartiality. He made his opinions public and basically lied in regards to his situation with the IRS. He did this to himself and no one else. It gets tiring to hear about journalists inserting themselves into stories for publicity and it gives a bad rap to those who do the right thing.

I wouldn't recommend going to their Facebook page at the moment. A lot of people seem to think that Larry got fired because he criticized Obama.

They also think KMOV is run by liberals.

*rolls eyes*

(Fun Fact: Belo also owns the Dallas Morning News, a right-leaning daily newspaper)

They could have given Larry an opportunity to give a proper on camera farewell.

I agree it wasn't handled very ceremoniously. But you're right, at least Dan Rather had an on camera farewell after his Bush/National Guard debacle.

I think KMOV was anxious to get rid of him for quite a while now and Larry Conners gave station management the perfect excuse to fire him.

I agree it wasn't handled very ceremoniously. But you're right, at least Dan Rather had an on camera farewell after his Bush/National Guard debacle.

I think KMOV was anxious to get rid of him for quite a while now and Larry Conners gave station management the perfect excuse to fire him.

But I heard that they had just given him a renewed long-term contract earlier this year?

But I heard that they had just given him a renewed long-term contract earlier this year?

I heard that too but they also demoted him to the 5PM newscast and Steve Savard took his spot at 10PM. So they probably wanted to keep him on but at a less prominent position than before.

I think this is another chapter at the ongoing drama that keeps unfolding at KMOV. The turnover at that station has gotten ridiculous lately.

I wouldn't recommend going to their Facebook page at the moment. A lot of people seem to think that Larry got fired because he criticized Obama.

They also think KMOV is run by liberals.

*rolls eyes*

(Fun Fact: Belo also owns the Dallas Morning News, a right-leaning daily newspaper)

Doesn't surprise me. Everything in this country is becoming so political, its just ridiculous. As for an on-air farewell, maybe they didn't want to bring any more attention to issue and decided it was best to move on in the manner that they did. I'm surprised that he nor his reps at the very least did not make a written statement, but who knows what went on behind closed doors.

I heard that too but they also demoted him to the 5PM newscast and Steve Savard took his spot at 10PM. So they probably wanted to keep him on but at a less prominent position than before.

I think this is another chapter at the ongoing drama that keeps unfolding at KMOV. The turnover at that station has gotten ridiculous lately.

I thought Larry Conners was terminated because of the comments he made about the IRS and second of all, what do you mean by the followng statement 'The turnover at the station has gotten ridculuous lately'? I've heard of layoffs or people not having contracts renewed by their managers.

I thought Larry Conners was terminated because of the comments he made about the IRS and second of all, what do you mean by the followng statement 'The turnover at the station has gotten ridculuous lately'? I've heard of layoffs or people not having contracts renewed by their managers.

He did get fired from KMOV because of his Facebook comments.

But Larry has also taken less and less of a role at KMOV lately by being demoted to the 5 PM newscast while Steve Savard takes over his spot at 10pm. I think they were just waiting for the perfect excuse to fire him.

KMOV has also had a lot of people come and go lately for various reason. If there is one thing KMOV is good at, it's consistency.

He did get fired from KMOV because of his Facebook comments.

But Larry has also taken less and less of a role at KMOV lately by being demoted to the 5 PM newscast while Steve Savard takes over his spot at 10pm. I think they were just waiting for the perfect excuse to fire him.

KMOV has also had a lot of people come and go lately for various reason. If there is one thing KMOV is good at, it's consistency.

Well, I guess it is safe to say that I'm predicting that Steve Savard will succeed Larry in the anchor desk at 6 & 10pm.

Well, I guess it is safe to say that I'm predicting that Steve Savard will succeed Larry in the anchor desk at 6 & 10pm.

That is a very good prediction that Steve Savard will be the next anchor replacing Larry Conners in doing the newscasts at 6&10pm.

I'm not sure what he could sue them for unless he can prove that he got fired because of his age. Because you can get fired for political views or something you post on Facebook. Either way it looks like it's going to get ugly.

He also sat down with an interview with KTVI today as well: http://fox2now.com/2013/05/23/larry-conners-opens-up-about-being-fired-from-kmov/

I think the bottom line is that he wasn't fired over his theory about the IRS or whatever...as ludicrous as it was.

...it's the fact that he knew the theory to be false (or damn well should have).

It's inaccurate information, and having the face of your station disseminating inaccurate conspiracy theories (a bit of a redundancy, no?) is bad PR.

Nicely done on the age discrimination suit!

I dunno. Based on the quote, he seems to be complaining that he got paid less because he wasn't an African-American female (ie: "Reverse Discrimination).

"Beginning

in December 2010, I have complained to KMOV management about the

disparity in pay between me and my previous co-prime anchor, Vickie Newton, an African-American female; I claimed that I received less compensation than Newton because of my race and gender."

I never realized what a whiny petulant brat he is off-camera but I'm starting to see why station management might not have been too fond of him.

I dunno. Based on the quote, he seems to be complaining that he got paid less because he wasn't an African-American female (ie: "Reverse Discrimination).

"Beginning

in December 2010, I have complained to KMOV management about the

disparity in pay between me and my previous co-prime anchor, Vickie Newton, an African-American female; I claimed that I received less compensation than Newton because of my race and gender."

I never realized what a whiny petulant brat he is off-camera but I'm starting to see why station management might not have been too fond of him.

At this stage of the game, people in his position start throwing sh*t on the wall to see if it sticks. Who had been at KMOV longer: Larry Conners or Vickie Newton? I could maybe side with Larry if he said that he was paid less than Vickie and having more seniority but throwing the reverse race card is stupid and makes him sound desperate-not to mention racist.

Archived