ABC World News fluff

Oprah

Wow. Just saw a promo for a series on World News this week "does this new 7 minute workout a day really work as promised, we put it to the test all this week on World News with Diane Sawyer"

And people call GMA legitimate. hmph.

And people call GMA legitimate. hmph.

I'm one of those people. Mind you GMA is a morning show where a topic such as weight loss would be appropriate. Stop bagging on GMA if you're giving the equally infotainment Today Show a pass seriously.

I just watch World News out of habit, as I'm stuck on WABC for news, and despite Pelley being better, I can't bring myself to watch WCBS (overload of blue graphics, at least WABC balances it out), though I can watch WLNY at 9 (I like the sunny golden color they use). My dad's favorite is the PBS NewsHour, especially when Shields and Brooks are on.

• 4 weeks later...

The lighter approach to World News is working, albeit at the expense of actually covering world news.. ABC World News beat NBC Nightly News in the Adults 25 - 54 demo for the week of July 22, it's first weekly win in the all important news demo since 2008.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/building-on-months-of-momentum-world-news-with-diane-sawyer-breaks-nbc-nightly-news-243-week-winning-streak-in-key-news-demo/

The lighter approach to World News is working, albeit at the expense of actually covering world news.. ABC World News beat NBC Nightly News in the Adults 25 - 54 demo for the week of July 22, it's first weekly win in the all important news demo since 2008.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/building-on-months-of-momentum-world-news-with-diane-sawyer-breaks-nbc-nightly-news-243-week-winning-streak-in-key-news-demo/

Is it their lighter approach coverage that's working, or the fact that NBC keeps getting a more tarnished reputation? I'm more inclined to go with the latter personally.

Also, is it just me, or is ABC News on the whole become slightly pompous and arrogant? I mean it could be pride because of what they're managing to do, slowly but surely, also painfully, dethroning NBC News, so their naturally gloating about it, but at the same time their promos come off as arrogant with this huge ego. I don't really remember NBC doing that.

• 10 months later...

September cannot come fast enough. Watching right now and Diane just reported on Taylor Swift's opinion on music sales and Madonna reporting for jury duty. :bang: :bang:

What makes you think that'll change? I imagine it'll be largely the same editorial staff producing the show.

I have a feeling the overboard shit won't last long after Diane leaves. Whenever anyone else anchors, even David, the 'Index' is dialed back some to the point of being tolerable.

What makes you think that'll change? I imagine it'll be largely the same editorial staff producing the show.

The show actually evolves based on the anchor who serves as managing editor and sets the tone.., the editorial staff largely remains unchanged.

I have a feeling the overboard shit won't last long after Diane leaves. Whenever anyone else anchors, even David, the 'Index' is dialed back some to the point of being tolerable.

Also, note when Elizabeth Vargas anchored, she didn't even do the v/o for the fluff segment, they had Nick Watt file a brief Instant Index report.

It's kind of splitting hairs on my part, but everyone should keep in mind that Sherwood's no longer head of ABC News. My observation earlier comparing Diane to all other anchors applies to the time since James Goldston took over, so it might not be too crazy to think that a Muir-helmed program might pull back on some of the mistakes made approach taken by Sawyer and Sherwood.

Also, note when Elizabeth Vargas anchored, she didn't even do the v/o for the fluff segment, they had Nick Watt file a brief Instant Index report.

Nick Watt has been doing the Friday installment for several months, anchor notwithstanding.

We criticize them for it and call all of the fluff of World News a "mistake" and an affront to what's supposed to be an serious evening newscast, yet the ratings prove otherwise. Viewers seem to like it and World News kept on rising, even winning the key demo several times, with Diane at the helm. Logic would be more inclined to dictate that they would continue what's proven to work rather than try to potentially radically change that, but who knows.

We criticize them for it and call all of the fluff of World News a "mistake" and an affront to what's supposed to be an serious evening newscast, yet the ratings prove otherwise. Viewers seem to like it and World News kept on rising, even winning the key demo several times, with Diane at the helm. Logic would be more inclined to dictate that they would continue what's proven to work rather than try to potentially radically change that, but who knows.

This. I agree completely, I don't see World News changing AT ALL in the near future (besides the anchor change, of course). They have been doing excellent in the ratings recently. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And although we might not like it, according to the ratings, world news ain't broke.

Remember, the majority of ABC News viewers are female. Nearly all of the posters on this board are male.

Archived