Sinclair-Nexstar Hypothetical Merger

NewsMaster

I remember bringing up a hypothetical merger as an April Fool's Day joke, but this will never happen unless the FCC is about as dumb as the CRTC (who let Bell gobble up Astral Media most recently, completely disregarding consumer choice).

I've always had my issues with TVNewscheck with their constant typos, shilling the Parents' Television Council's every move. and Harry Jessell's sometimes half baked ideas, but this article sinks them to a new low.

Harry may also be a shill for the NAB, given all the anti-Aereo and anti-Dish articles that appear on the site.

If this happened, they would control all five major network stations in Syracuse, since after Sinclair's acquisition of Barrington, they'd control WSTM, WSTQ, WTVH, WSYT, and WNYS, and Nexstar owns WSYR. I just don't see how the DOJ would let them get away with that. In fact, if Nexstar had won Barrington, Nexstar would have controlled all of the news-producing stations in Syracuse (WSTM, WSTQ, WTVH, and WSYR).

OH PLEASE NO!

Besides, that would fail miserably and Sinstar or Nexclair or whatever the hell they would call themselves would just end up going away or having to sell like, half of their stations...which would still put them well over 100.

If this happened, they would control all five major network stations in Syracuse, since after Sinclair's acquisition of Barrington, they'd control WSTM, WSTQ, WTVH, WSYT, and WNYS, and Nexstar owns WSYR. I just don't see how the DOJ would let them get away with that. In fact, if Nexstar had won Barrington, Nexstar would have controlled all of the news-producing stations in Syracuse (WSTM, WSTQ, WTVH, and WSYR).

NOOOOO!!! NOOOO!!!!! if Sinclair and Nexstar would even merge together, that would be the end of Sinclair and yes the DOJ would not really let those two get away with murder. If they were to merge they would own over 300+ TV stations that Sinclair and Nexstar's subsidiaries,

and yes, what about those shell broadcasting companies: hmmm... I would say completely different scenario on those, even spinning them off would be wise.

OH PLEASE NO!

Besides, that would fail miserably and Sinstar or Nexclair or whatever the hell they would call themselves would just end up going away or having to sell like, half of their stations...which would still put them well over 100.

I would agree with the name Nexclair or better, Sinextclair.

That would be a disaster waiting to happen for sure...unless some new company decides to start an independent from scratch. It's not like it is a tiny market (i.e. sub-150) either where they can only support one newscast; a market the size of Syracuse should easily support at least 3.

Any other markets that they would form a monopoly or near-monopoly?

Any other markets that they would form a monopoly or near-monopoly?

There are some other possibilities:

Champaign, IL: Sinclair owns WICS/WICD, operates WRSP/WCCU and WBUI, Nexstar owns WCIA and WCIX. WAND would be the only other major station remaining.

Bakersfield, CA: Sinclair will own KBAK and KBFX after it's acquisition of Fisher, Nexstar owns KGET and KKEY. KERO would be the only other major station remaining.

Peoria, IL: Sinclair will acquire WHOI as part of the Barrington deal, while Nexstar owns WMBD and operates WYZZ (which Sinclair is spinning off to Cunningham due to it's purchase of WHOI from Barrington). Granite, which owns WEEK and operates WHOI, is rumored to be for sale after Silver Point, which controls Granite, sold off ComCorp to Nexstar. If Nexstar or Sinclair were to buy Granite and this merger actually happened, the result would be similar to Syracuse, in that all of the major network stations would be controlled by one company.

Johnstown/State College/Altoona, PA: Sinclair owns WJAC, and provides news to WATM and WWCP under a news share agreement. Nexstar owns WTAJ. They would have a monopoly on newscasts in the market unless WATM and WWCP start their own news department, which is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Amarillo, TX: Sinclair will acquire KVII/KVIH from Barrington, while Nexstar owns KAMR and operates Mission's KCIT. KFDA would be the only other major station remaining.

Rochester, NY: Sinclair owns WUHF and operates WHAM, while Nexstar owns WROC and operates WUHF. WHEC would be the only other major station remaining.

If that marriage happen everybody in the television news industry should just kill themselves.... Let me call the mortician as so many would lose their jobs. FCC would have to step in, because these greedy bastards would owned at least 50% across the board-

OH PLEASE NO!

Sinclair and Nexstar merging?!! That would not be good for the TV industry at all.

This creates another question: what stations get left by the wayside if they are forced to divest? I'm not sure what market requires the most shells but it appears that the Syracuse market would require 4 shells and those others mentioned require 3 shells each.

I wonder who would be willing to buy the loose assets? Would it be the bigger companies (i.e. Scripps, Hearst, Cox, Tribune, Gannett, etc.) if they have no assets in those markets, or could smaller companies find an opportunity to grow before being eaten alive?

Whoever wasted all that time and resources to do that kind of article, had to be drinking that crazy juice. Just to even think that Sinclair & Nexstar would merge is downright asinine, at best. Are both of them that mad that Tribune bought the Local TV stations? That had to at least slow down Sinclair's thunder & momentum. But we still have 'the house that 'ol Joe built' for sale.

But like I stated, this article should've never been posted. The FCC wouldn't allow this anyway. Whoever thought of posting this, must be consolidation-crazy. They must love singe media market monopolies then too.

Oh and one more thing. You see one of the comments got taken down? Some user mentioned about a certain mid-90s incident, and TVNewsCheck took that post down like immediately.

One additional thought: this would be Clear Channel all over again. That "too big to fail" company pretty much has failed. Imagine the merged Sinclair-Nexstar company collapsing; that would be a dream to all the other owners with 300 or more stations (presumably) up for sale at fire-sale prices in attractive markets.

Nexstar hasn't purchased a large or medium group whole though (i.e. top 30 on any BIA-Kelsey list) so I don't see them getting too aggressive in purchases. This would either be a complete merger or a Sinclair takeover probably, and Nexstar (amazingly) has a smaller monetary portfolio than Local TV LLC did on the BIA-Kelsey lists. If Sinclair had interest in Local TV and was outbid or denied (which it appears like was the case, but cannot be proven), then a Sinclair purchase of Nexstar isn't as far-fetched as it sounds...

This is as likely as Cumulus Radio buying up CBS Radio. Which is virtually impossible because both companies are maxed out in ownership caps in multiple major markets.

A hypothetical Nexstar/Sincla!r merger has the same problem. Sincla!r can get away with buying up Freedom and Fisher because the overlap is minuscule. The number of shell companies, SSAs and JSAs would be comical and impossible to manage, even by Sincla!r standards.

I remember bringing up a hypothetical merger as an April Fool's Day joke, but this will never happen unless the FCC is about as dumb as the CRTC (who let Bell gobble up Astral Media most recently, completely disregarding consumer choice).

The CTRC is only concerned about how many songs by Canadian bands or singers are played by radio stations. (I blame them solely for Nickelback's existence.) Everything else is meh to them.

whenpigsfly.jpg

Unless the FCC is asleep at the wheel, they would never let this happen. They might let SBG use shells to buy stations and circumvent the law, but they won't let them hold near monopolies on at least five-six DMAs. Besides, Nexstar/SBG would be a disaster. I'd take Nexstar over SBG anyday and would've rather had WOAI under their stewardship. At least Nexstar invest in their stations and are willing to make them competitive unlike SBG. Also, had Nexstar gotten WOAI, they would have maintained a sixth TV news operation. That has now been reduced to five.

Archived