The Washington Post Company sells its flagship newspaper to Jeff Bezos...

SterlingNorth

This is nothing short of mind blowing. Things must be *really* bad at the WaPo for the Graham family to sell out like that.

The article notes that "The Post Co." of which the newspaper was one division, will be changing names. I imagine after that point the "Post-Newsweek Stations" moniker disappears.

I'm quite surprised they didn't sell to Warren Buffett. He was a close confidant to the late Katherine Graham, and a big investor through Berkshire Hathaway, during her stewardship of the company. It would have been a good fit with the Media General newspapers he bought last year.

Kinda makes you wonder if Post-Newsweek will be next on the market

It's entirely possible they might get rid of their media properties completely. One big part of "The Post Co." is Kaplan, Inc. publishers of test prep and standardized testing cirriculum and also operates the for-profit Kaplan University.

They may want to focus solely on that.

I actually sharply disagree. I think this is a refocusing of The Post Co. on TV, new media and its Kaplan division, which the article notes is its biggest revenue maker.

Expect P-N to take some of that money and be buying stations.

I actually sharply disagree. I think this is a refocusing of The Post Co. on TV, new media and its Kaplan division, which the article notes is its biggest revenue maker.

Expect P-N to take some of that money and be buying stations.

That's my takeaway too. This is pretty similar to what Tribune is in the process of doing.

This does not surprise me, since it was long rumored that the Grahams wanted to sell the Post anyways. I do not think they are interested in selling their stations, since they are a large revenue generator for them (and KSAT, their only consistent #1 property, is a huge moneymaker for P-N). But I don't think they're interested in buying either. Who knows? Only time will tell...

The TV stations and Cable One are the Post's moneymakers. Kaplan bleeds money, but nowhere near as much as the newspaper division. If they're going to sell off the TV stations, they would have to sell off the rest of the company too.

Guest NewsHound

Speculation has been moved off to the Speculatron 9000.

Thank you. I think its absolutely ludacris how people on this forum hear about ONE newspaper being sold and immediately speculate the apocalypse that may or may not even happen with an entire company...

You guys hear the word "SALE" and instantly start taking side bets like you're at a race track and you're betting on the next horse to have a debilitating injury and be put out of its misery. In this case the companies you speculate are going to fall apart, and in your ideal fantasy television world you may have your wish, but nobody knows what's even going to happen tomorrow let alone when and if these companies do fold.

Ok, so we've had consolidation out the ass lately. You've had deals you've never imagined before and it's caused a lot of interesting conversation.

Bottom line, don't jump to conclusions, don't speculate, don't assume (because it just makes an ass out of U and ME) and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If Post-Newsweek sells off it's television division, great, we have more to talk about. If they don't, then we’ll be just fine. If you crave for speculation and want things to work in your ideal worlds, go play a fantasy television game. If you want to talk about real news and keep the subject on the matter at hand, in this case the Washington Post being sold to the guy who owns Amazon (and if this means we will be able to read WaPo for free on our Kindle if we have a Prime account) then keep talking.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Thank you. I think its absolutely ludacris how people on this forum hear about ONE newspaper being sold and immediately speculate the apocalypse that may or may not even happen with an entire company...

You guys hear the word "SALE" and instantly start taking side bets like you're at a race track and you're betting on the next horse to have a debilitating injury and be put out of its misery. In this case the companies you speculate are going to fall apart, and in your ideal fantasy television world you may have your wish, but nobody knows what's even going to happen tomorrow let alone when and if these companies do fold.

Ok, so we've had consolidation out the ass lately. You've had deals you've never imagined before and it's caused a lot of interesting conversation.

Bottom line, don't jump to conclusions, don't speculate, don't assume (because it just makes an ass out of U and ME) and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If Post-Newsweek sells off it's television division, great, we have more to talk about. If they don't, then we’ll be just fine. If you crave for speculation and want things to work in your ideal worlds, go play a fantasy television game. If you want to talk about real news and keep the subject on the matter at hand, in this case the Washington Post being sold to the guy who owns Amazon (and if this means we will be able to read WaPo for free on our Kindle if we have a Prime account) then keep talking.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

+1

Bottom line, don't jump to conclusions, don't speculate, don't assume (because it just makes an ass out of U and ME) and don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Are you trying to say something about Weigel Broadcasting? ARE THEY BEING SOLD??? TO WHO??? :D

Are you trying to say something about Weigel Broadcasting? ARE THEY BEING SOLD??? TO WHO??? :D

I see what you did there.

And I agree, some of the speculation is fine if it's based on something. But speculating something out of thin air (ie: Will Fox buy KRON and pull its affiliation with KTVU?) is just a waste of time and counterproductive.

My "wonder about the sale of the Post": Had the sale happened a month ago, would Post-Newsweek be in the mix to pick up the Albritten stations (or maybe they were in discussions...)?

Could have made things a little more interesting...

J

Archived