WSMV Goes NBC Look F

TennTV1983

WSMV in Nashville just recently implemented the Look F graphics from NBC Artworks as of yesterday, along with what appears to be new orchestral cuts of The Tower. You can see some of the new look online on their website right now:

Breaking News open:

http://www.wsmv.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9170712

Morning Show video:

http://www.wsmv.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9169306

Despite a few safe zone issues (particularly with the lower 3rds on the left side) and some clashing typefaces (the Breaking News stuff uses a different font in the lower 3rds instead of the regular default ones), it looks like they did a good job making the look their own. I'll have to watch the 10:00 newscast to make some other observations.

Pretty nice! Although why is NBC letting non-O&O affiliates use their O&O mandate graphics? I'm not complaining or anything though, just curious.

They did it with Looks A and C, as well. The CBS and Fox packages have also spread to non-owned stations.

They did it with Looks A and C, as well. The CBS and Fox packages have also spread to non-owned stations.

I know that, but I thought they waited until they were starting to debut a new package for their O&O's before they let the others affiliates have it. That's what they did with Look C shortly before/during Look F's roll out.

I know that, but I thought they waited until they were starting to debut a new package for their O&O's before they let the others affiliates have it. That's what they did with Look C shortly before/during Look F's roll out.

Fox and CBS never debut a new package. If they can make money from it, why not sell it?

The thing that bothers me is the font on the lower thirds, seems out of place

It's the standard Gotham which is the default font for the package. They just decided (and it might be the graphics system they're using) to use a wider kerning than normal.

It's the standard Gotham which is the default font for the package. They just decided (and it might be the graphics system they're using) to use a wider kerning than normal.

WSMV's standard lowers use Daily News, which is the font WNBC/KNTV use for all of their lowers. It is a mismatch (I prefer Gotham).

As for why NBC Artworks syndicates their stuff, well, why not? TRemember that KXAS is on Look G, which by all accounts was CREATED FOR NEXSTAR. And they adapted Look T (Telemundo) for Nexstar's non-NBC stations. I don't see why you don't go with them if you can - their stuff is just as good as what you can get from the independent gfx firms.

Much better than Look (?), which ever one it was that had the flapping peacock wedge in the lower 3rd and the dizzying fly through graphics.

Couldn't stand that package on any of the stations that adopted it.

Much better than Look (?), which ever one it was that had the flapping peacock wedge in the lower 3rd and the dizzying fly through graphics.

Couldn't stand that package on any of the stations that adopted it.

That would be Look C. That package the way Artworks implemented it sucked. There's a reason a lot of the stations that adopted eventually modified it to their liking.

If it were up to NBC, all of their stations would have a similar look. They're not really biased about Affiliates vs. O&Os...but, since they don't own Affiliates, they don't have the same control.

After looking at that demo I think Look G is a good fit for WNBC. They should have used it.

I think I have to disagree. It looks too flashy. It would fit better for some entertainment show, but not for a newscast that one would deem serious.

Wow. I can't imagine that a Look G with WNBC branding - and The Tower as music - would exist if it weren't meant to make it on the air in some way. I think it's obvious that Valarie Staab didn't make them just scrap a set - this had to be part of what was apparently going to go on the air.

I have to agree with NYNews here - they made the right choice to go with what KNTV was using. It fits New York, and WNBC, a lot better than a colorful look like that would. And if one of the reasons Staab scrapped the set was because it looked too much like WABC (which I hope was less a concern than "this set looks fucking terrible"), then I can't imagine she'd be happy with them essentially using WABC's old slogan.

Also, for whatever reason NBCU or whoever doesn't want their NYC and Philly stations to look alike. They've never had the same look, and WCAU on Look F and WNBC on Look G would have continued that pattern. While both stations are technically on Look F now, WCAU's version is so heavily modified that it barely looks like WNBC.

Lastly, this is the THIRD graphics package that was meant to go on WNBC, but never did. They didn't pick up their version of Look C, the Mother New York block look/"Look E" never made it to air, and now a WNBC Look G has surfaced. Geez. That is a lot of wasted spending right there.

I take back what I said in the last thread. I hadn't clicked on this one yet!

That's some interesting stuff, though who's to say that perhaps Artworks creates all looks based on WNBC as a placeholder, irrelevant to whatever actually ends up on WNBC? If WNBC is the flagship (though it's looking less like it these days), then maybe it makes some sense to use WNBC as a starting point in creating graphics packages for stations in the rest of the group and to worry about shoehorning the other stations' identities into it closer to the actual implementation.

That is a lot of wasted spending right there.

I wouldn't say "wasted spending" - I'm guessing Artworks was given requirements, they created a look, and fed them back (and the answer was "No", but they were able to use the looks/elements elsewhere. I'm sure there are some smaller market stations that would kill for the leftovers, but I've gotta believe that Artworks will require the control (or at least the standard setting) and these stations don't have the graphics system to pull it off... (Or the money to pay Artworks).

Looking at some of the kluged together network graphics that some stations have used in the past (such as the recently mentioned KAUZ clip - which looks like crap, IMHO), you know that Artworks probably requires certain standards for a station to use one of their packages...

J

Glad that WNBC didn't adopt Look G. That would've been too colorful and flashy for the New York market. That and WNBC has always had a more subdued look to its newscasts. Look F fits the market much better.

It doesn't look bad on KXAS though so at least this package is getting some good use.

Lastly, this is the THIRD graphics package that was meant to go on WNBC, but never did. They didn't pick up their version of Look C, the Mother New York block look/"Look E" never made it to air, and now a WNBC Look G has surfaced. Geez. That is a lot of wasted spending right there.

What? A designer made a graphics package for a station only for it not to make air? Unheard of.

Clearly someone here has never worked in TV before...

Archived