Nexstar...again

7 minutes ago, GraphicsMan said:

He has to have WPIX. Mark my words.

Not only will he not get it, he'll stubbornly refuse to sell anything in order to buy it.

This is the same clown who runs a company that proudly boasted on their own website they could buy ABC "with little friction". And no one has seemingly considered this is why the FCC has started to crack down on them.

• Like 1

He can only buy WPIX if he sells a boatload of stations.  He is not willing to do that.  Time for him to end the Mission charade and walk away.

3 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

He can only buy WPIX if he sells a boatload of stations.  He is not willing to do that.  Time for him to end the Mission charade and walk away.

He'd have to sell pretty much every station in markets below the top 60 to fit WPIX.

2 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

Not only will he not get it, he'll stubbornly refuse to sell anything in order to buy it.

This is the same clown who runs a company that proudly boasted on their own website they could buy ABC "with little friction". And no one has seemingly considered this is why the FCC has started to crack down on them.

Don't worry, Perry -- Rand Paul is coming to your rescue!

Dr. Paul introduces Local News and Broadcast Media Preservation Act

HENDERSON, Ky. (WEHT) – According to Dr. Rand Paul’s office, on Wednesday, he introduced the Local News and Broadcast Media Preservation Act which would give local broadcasters and newspapers “relief” from government restrictions.

“With the rise of social media and an ever-changing media landscape, it is imperative that our local newspapers and broadcasters are given the freedom to adapt. My Local News and Broadcast Media Preservation Act gets government out of the way and frees broadcast media from the chains that restrict their ability to better serve their customers,” said Dr. Paul.

Officials with his office say the Local News and Broadcast Media Preservation Act would exempt print, broadcast and digital news organizations from federal antitrust laws to allow them to compete with and negotiate with national tech companies. Additionally, the legislation would allow local broadcast companies to merge without government interference to allow those broadcasters to better compete against tech giants.

According to Dr. Rand Paul’s office, lastly, the bill would eliminate the local and national caps on radio and television ownership and would create an environment which would allow maximum flexibility for competition and negotiation.

Shouldn't they be referring to him as Senator Paul?

I hope the bill crashes and burns. All it would do is help Nexstar, SInclair, and Gray gobble up more broadcasters, leaving smaller broadcasters such as Hearst and Graham (and smaller) unable to acquire stations because they keep getting outbid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mre29 said:

Don't worry, Perry -- Rand Paul is coming to your rescue!

Shouldn't they be referring to him as Senator Paul?

I hope the bill crashes and burns. All it would do is help Nexstar, SInclair, and Gray gobble up more broadcasters, leaving smaller broadcasters such as Hearst and Graham (and smaller) unable to acquire stations because they keep getting outbid.

It has no chance in the current Senate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

Yeah I remember when Unc said that he was insane for saying that he’ll buy the network,  especially that he just about owns a station in the same market of all 8 ABC O&Os. Just imagine LA NY, Raleigh, San Francisco having to beat against your competitor and be under the same ownership.

Edited by GraphicsMan

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

Yeah I remember when Unc said that he was insane for saying that he’ll buy the network,  especially that he just about owns a station in the same market of all 8 ABC O&Os. Just imagine LA NY, Raleigh, San Francisco having to beat against your competitor and be under the same ownership.

Due to the 2 of the top 4 rule, Nexstar would have to spin-off a station in Fresno and Raleigh, and the FCC just ruled that it's already over the overall cap in NYC, but there aren't any rules against buying the other stations.

Edited by AmericanErrorist

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Due to the 2 of the top 4 rule, Nexstar would have to spin-off a station in Fresno and Raleigh, and the FCC just ruled that it's already over the overall cap in NYC, but there aren't any rules against buying the other stations.

How about they just focus on KSEE/KGPE in Fresno and WNCN in Raleigh and don't do nothing else to Raleigh and Fresno.  Raleigh a pretty growing market. If Perry buys WLFL they can't get WRDC, he can only pick one because if he got WLFL/WRDC/and WNCN that''s a Tripolily I don't think that's gonna happen. Same with Fresno that's 3 stations, I  don't care so much for Fresno since its a small market, but I've been doing some reading about the Raleigh market they could overtake another major NC market in DMA rankings possibly in the next year and in the next 5 years they'll be a top 20 market. Perry Sook is dangerous.

Edited by GraphicsMan

On 5/11/2024 at 1:21 PM, GraphicsMan said:

How about they just focus on KSEE/KGPE in Fresno and WNCN in Raleigh and don't do nothing else to Raleigh and Fresno.  Raleigh a pretty growing market. If Perry buys WLFL they can't get WRDC, he can only pick one because if he got WLFL/WRDC/and WNCN that''s a Tripolily I don't think that's gonna happen. Same with Fresno that's 3 stations, I  don't care so much for Fresno since its a small market, but I've been doing some reading about the Raleigh market they could overtake another major NC market in DMA rankings possibly in the next year and in the next 5 years they'll be a top 20 market. Perry Sook is dangerous.

The other market you are referring to is Charlotte, and no it won't overtake Charlotte ever. Charlotte DMA is actually growing much faster than Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville DMA, and has actually sped up in growing in the past year. Actually, the Charlotte DMA will be in the top 20 in the next year.

On 5/12/2024 at 10:36 PM, jero85 said:

The other market you are referring to is Charlotte, and no it won't overtake Charlotte ever. Charlotte DMA is actually growing much faster than Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville DMA, and has actually sped up in growing in the past year. Actually, the Charlotte DMA will be in the top 20 in the next year.

They’re literally right next to each other. Sacramento will remain in 20 for a minute. Raleigh has also beaten queen city in previous rankings in past years.

Edited by GraphicsMan

For a market of Raleigh's size, it is criminally underserved thanks to Sinclair squandering their duopoly.  On the other hand, WRAL and WRAZ has a commanding lead over the other stations and have been that way since the beginning of time.

ABC owning WTVD keeps the market pretty stagnant since we all know about ABC ever buying stations.  Any other owner would have likely pursued one of Sinclair's stations.

Nexstar could expand, but it's in the same  boat NBC was in back in 2006, no path to expand.  Had they stayed in the market, they could have started a Telemundo station like their other markets. They just felt it was impossible back then so they divested those stations to Media General.

In Charlotte's case, they have an abundance of outlets thanks to Bahakel (WCCB) and Cox having WAXN.  WJZY gave Nexstar a path to build on what Fox created in 2013.  This way, there are 5 broadcast voices compared to 3 in Raleigh/Durham.  Even if Bahakel cashes out one day to Tegna or Gray, that's still one more.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
typos

19 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

They’re literally right next to each other. Sacramento will remain in 20 for a minute. Raleigh has also beaten queen city in previous rankings in past years.

No it has not ever. They are next to one another in ranks now, but Charlotte is still a faster growing region.