Jodi Applegate to fill in on WLNY's "The Couch"

PIXfan

I feel that the reason she is filling in is for a tryout. They have a lot of people that could easily fill-in already on their payroll (Mary Calvi, Alex Denis, Cindy Hsu, Alice Gainer, Andrea Grymes, etc...even Chris Wragge with his experience on the Early Show) so that's the only thing that makes sense. As long as they leave Dana alone at 6, I'm ok. Jodi does have experience anchoring evenings so who knows what WCBS has up its sleeves.

Dana Tyler has had a lot of luck at a station where many haven't. Maybe after 20 years her luck is about to run out and she will either be sent to weekends or let go. Or maybe not and maybe they want to go with a 2 female anchor team again like they once had and perhaps it will be Jodi and Kristine at 5 and Maurice and Dana and 6 and 11 who knows.

Dana Tyler has had a lot of luck at a station where many haven't. Maybe after 20 years her luck is about to run out and she will either be sent to weekends or let go. Or maybe not and maybe they want to go with a 2 female anchor team again like they once had and perhaps it will be Jodi and Kristine at 5 and Maurice and Dana and 6 and 11 who knows.

I have noticed that she has been anchoring on Sunday nights a lot recently. Maybe she will anchor weekend evenings and Cindy Hsu will just do weekend mornings instead of doing both. This would leave room for Jodi Applegate to anchor on 6pm and possibly 9pm on WLNY.

This would leave room for Jodi Applegate to anchor on 6pm and possibly 9pm on WLNY.

I highly doubt they would want to replace Dana Tyler, with year of experience with Jodi. Also, Alice Gainer was just named new anchor of WLNY at 9 so I doubt she will do the 9.

I highly doubt they would want to replace Dana Tyler, with year of experience with Jodi. Also, Alice Gainer was just named new anchor of WLNY at 9 so I doubt she will do the 9.

Dana has been their for nearly 25 years so she may retire in a couple of years and that would leave an open slot but I don't think they would ever get rid of Dana for Jodi.

Dana has been their for nearly 25 years so she may retire in a couple of years and that would leave an open slot but I don't think they would ever get rid of Dana for Jodi.

What does it matter how long she has been there, she is only 54. Retirements don't work on how long you are there, they go by age/when you want to retire.

Perhaps they might replace Mary with Jodi and perhaps reassign Mary to weekend evenings or if Kristine ever becomes a host of the talk perhaps Jodi will replace Kristine.

I think we are taking this way to seriously. Jodi is just filling in on WLNY. You are way ahead of your self if because of this you think they will take out Mary or Kristine. And seriously, first Lori Stokes now Kristine, can you stop trying to start rumors.

When Dana is anchoring are the only times I'll even turn on 2 anymore. Years ago I would never watch 7 (graphics turned me off too much), preferring 2 and 4 for years. But both stations are just constantly a cast of new characters and it's tiring that I find myself turning to 7 frequently. Dana projects a ton of warmth with her anchoring... she's been on weekday evenings at WCBS for more than 20 years, having been paired with more people than any of us can name. Dana that familiar entity.. and I actually really enjoy seeing her solo at 6. Having been with WCBS for all of the stories of the past 20+ years (minus Sandy), she's built that trust with the community. That's what local news used to be all about... building trust with the anchors and viewers. That's what's pushing me to 7... even when I don't haven't watched the station, the faces are at least familiar. Maurice is up there now with trust (and also has a very warm presentation). Chuck has a comforting elder statesman presentation. But Shiba, Kristine, Chris Wragge... etc etc etc, none of them project any of these qualities.

Maurice and Dana weren't an ideal pair when they were together at 6pm in 2004/2005 when Maurice arrived at WCBS, so I doubt they would be repaired together. Let's be honest, Dana will never be back on the 11pm news; she doesn't even fill in for Maurice or Kristine anymore. She is too old for the WCBS/CBS management. You see that with the way they are replacing any of the older faces at their stations. Look at who they just hired as lead anchor at KYW, the replacement of Antonio Mora at WBBM and WFOR, and the immediate growth of Alice Gainer at WCBS/WLNY.

That's what's really pushing me away from WCBS. I can't stand all of these faces who come out of nowhere and end up at the weekday anchor desk. Whatever happened to growing anchors through the weekend team, and then having the weekend team fill in during the week? Who the hell is Andrea Grymes? I've gotten used to seeing Alice Gainer as the lead fill-in for both Maurice and Kristine and seeing Andrea for both Chris and Mary. Cindy, an established WCBS personality who has anchored everything from the mornings to noon and 5, is rarely ever seen filling in during the week. (Alice, while an unfamiliar and inexperienced entity, is a huge relief filling in at 5 as opposed to Alex Denis... who shouldn't be allowed near an anchor chair... with her big smile as she reads stories about crime and whatnot.)

WCBS made considerable gains for awhile, but I can't watch them anymore because of all of these new people. WCBS benefited from the self destruction of WNBC. But I honestly don't think people are going to stick around with personalities that are overly... obnoxious. WCBS replaced John Bolaris and Audrey Puente, two level-headed, (mostly) serious meteorologists, with Lonnie Quinn and John Elliott, two clowns who do not hold meteorology degrees. Nobody wants that. Then the two on the team with degrees have weekend duty. WCBS has had more sports presenters in the past five-seven years than WABC and WNBC have had for the past two decades, combined. Otis is great, and thankfully he is a known NYC product. And I should note... WCBS (in this regime) has tried to bring in familiar faces: Steve Bartelstein, Rob Morrison, Otis, John Discepelo. But only Otis is still with them.

Coming back to the point: Jodi would almost be a welcome face filling in on WCBS/WLNY because she is a familiar face to New York now. But the honest answer to this is that she's too old for them too. And since this was mostly about WCBS... I might as well just end with the fact that if WCBS ever wants to come out of fourth/fifth place in the morning, they need to realize that putting Chris Wragge on isn't going to improve ratings. Swapping out Katie McGee (familiar face) with Alex Denis (mostly ditzy) isn't going to fix mornings. WCBS needs to rethink morning news the way that CBS This Morning did. They can't keep trying to imitate what everyone else is doing. They aren't any good at it. While Mary has done her time in New York and at WCBS and deserves a prominent spot, someone like Jodi would be a good person to anchor a reformatted morning news show that tries to capitalize on the growth that CTM is showing, opposed to the exhausted format that WCBS is using now. (WCBS needs to realize that they have no hope because Lori Stokes IS morning news in New York. Lori is amazing and no one is going to turn to see Chris Wragge and John Elliott make jokes with each other.)

I think to just respond to the most important parts of your post, WCBS definitely needs to figure out its talent and stabilize them. And I agree that they really don't have a chance in the morning but they need to do something about the morning newscast. I like Mary and Chris but to me, Alex and John are too much, they are too peppy and too crazy. I think Katie McGee should come back and do traffic again and Elise Finch should do weather. It would bring a sense of professionalism back to the newscast.

Sanford is not a bad choice, however I'm not sure he's strong enough to pick up Tamsen's weaknesses. Honestly PIX should have sent Tamsen back to mornings and started fresh at night where at least they have a shot.

GDNY has mornings locked up.

I think to just respond to the most important parts of your post, WCBS definitely needs to figure out its talent and stabilize them. And I agree that they really don't have a chance in the morning but they need to do something about the morning newscast. I like Mary and Chris but to me, Alex and John are too much, they are too peppy and too crazy. I think Katie McGee should come back and do traffic again and Elise Finch should do weather. It would bring a sense of professionalism back to the newscast.

WCBS' problem is that it is trying to be an LA station when they are in NY. They are rushing in the "sexy young" talent at the expense of news credibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't be surprised to see WLNY re-boot the show, adding Jodi as co-host with John and Carolina, getting rid of Lisa Kerney. Or maybe even just John and Jodi, although I personally like Carolina.

Not only that, but Jodi also gives them a credible presence on that channel, plus a viable backup at Ch 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Jodi is back all this week. It does make you wonder if they are considering having her as one of the regular co-hosts.

If they do add her Lisa could go back to sports.

But doesn't Lisa already do sports in the morning in addition to her hosting duties for the couch?

• 2 weeks later...

Why would Lisa, the regular co-anchor, only get the second hour when Jodi, the supposed temporary fill-in, gets the full two hours?

Since she does sports between 4:30a - 7 AM, and just returned from maternity leave after having a baby, my guess would be she wants to be off air between 7 AM - 8 AM so that she can pump her breast milk as she's probably breast feeding. After that she goes on air for the 8 AM - 9 AM portion of the couch, of course this is just a guess though so I could be totally wrong.

Archived