Interersting Developments in Market #32

ColumbusNewsFan

I'm hoping WCMH's set is put to good use somewhere. Probably the stations most in need of a updated set are WKRG and WRBL. If WRBL gets it....could they use it if and when they decide to go widescreen or HD? I think it's now down to WNCT and WRBL as Media General's only stations still in SD, while WJTV and WBTW are widescreen SD....everyone else is in HD by now...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they are broadcasting from the newsroom when they have another studio with, I believe just parts of the old "4 Warn" weather set. The newsroom space is just too cramped.

Turing on The Spectutron 3000 Version 6.14. Could It mean they are giving them a bigger studio then before? Like WSYX and WBNS?

Just speculating and guessing.

Well, I know the studio they were in prior to 2008 was quite large. They had several different news and interview sets and even part of the old '4 Warn' weather set from the '90s.

The studio they've been in since 2008 seems to be smaller, from what I've seen on-air and on their facebook page.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I told you these tow development in our market but here it goes.

Currently WCMH is on temporary set in the newsroom as they are replacing there FX Group set from about 2007.

Personally, that set did not age well and In light or WBNS and WSYX's set... it just made them look really bad. I hope the replacement is better that cramped set they had.

I don't think WCMH's set was awful, but there was too much brown there for my tastes. Yes it was cramped, but I kind of liked the curved shape of the desk and a white stripe. The areas where they did stand ups looked cheap, though. Channel 4 has always had a problem with their lighting.

In short, not a great set but good enough to justify a set remodeling and moving it to one of their smaller markets.

Not impressed at all with the WBNS Set. Another one that's too cramped. I thought they were going to revamp their building. What ever happened to that project.

WSYX's set still rocks. With a couple of exceptions, Sinclair has great taste in sets. (Not impressed with Dayton, but other markets using the same set do far better with it.)

Speaking of Sinclair's WSYX/WTTE. As we all know Sinclair has been on a spending spree and that Has extended to The station they ACTUALLY own as well. WSYX has recently acquired a new news copter and Have expanded there Morning show to the weekend. This is the first time in a long time I can say WSYX wants to be competior in this market and It's shows.

Sky 6 is back? Holy crap is right!

With all the money they're making with three stations under the same roof (WWHO has applied to move to the WSYX tower), I guess they can afford a chopper. Besides, the way Sinclair thinks (and rightfully so), Dayton is probably close enough that WKEF and WRGT can get some chopper time out of it as well.

What WSYX really needs right now is a new logo. The Bauhaus "6" dates back to the mid-1980's. They closed the little break in the "6" several years ago, but it's still pretty lame.

I could be shocked and be thrilled about this. But I'm not. In fact about it, I'm pissed.

I wonder if that was some of that capital came from their "M&A fund" to pay for that new helicopter for WSYX. And if it is, this doesn't make any sense at all. Because they should spent on money investing and putting effort into those stations they already had first, instead of going through this $3B buying spree of television stations in two years. If they bought this chopper two years ago, as they started this crazily buying spree with the Four Points Media, I would be a lot more happier. They probably was the only one without a chopper.

Those crazy loons in Maryland should've had a chopper for Channel 6 a long time ago, as soon as they had the capital to buy, and not two years later. Investing into the stations should be THE top priority and not just caring about just the revenue. And they've been in that market for how long? Almost three decades? This doesn't make any sense.

Hater.

I don't see the typical microwave antenna on the bottom of the helicopter between the skids...not sure if it's just the resolution of the pictures, but if that's not there, then they won't be able to take any live video from Sky6.

This is just a wild guess: Could the chopper be outfitted with something along the lines of one of those cellular ENG packs they've been using, and might it be that the use of cellular technology is what finally made having a chopper affordable?

Don't complain about WCMH's set. It isn't too bad. You should've seen their previous set (and probably the motivator for MG to get a brand new set for WCMH) it was built in the early 90s for WAVE and was moved to WCMH around 2002 or 2003, since NBC got it dirt cheap. It was dated when they got it, it was dated when they tore it down.

I wonder if WCMH's set will be a hand me down for another MG station?

Is it possible that WCMH is getting a set similar to their now-sister stations from the old Young Group?

I wonder if WCMH will still be in the newsroom this week?

This setup is not working too well. They've had several techinical glitches and the talent is very cramped on the temp set.

I'm wondering that same thing because that set is doing them no favors right now. It just looks really bad and reflects how the product has gone to hell since MG took over.

I'm wondering that same thing because that set is doing them no favors right now. It just looks really bad and reflects how the product has gone to hell since MG took over.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a new set they're building or whether they're just doing a facelift on the old one. Why would they stay in the small studio if they're building a completely new set?

The only time I've ever been in that building was in the 1970's when I was on a middle school tour. They had just flipped over to WCMH and they still had the RCA TK-41 cameras back then and the really, really old "The DeMoss Report" set. I remember two studios. I think the studio to the south was the one used for "Dance Party" and "Coffee Club" and was pretty bare when we saw it since both had run their course. But the studio was still pretty large, just not as large as the main studio. I think it eventually became the newsroom shown in this video:

I know the building was remodeled in the 1980's, but are the same spaces still used as studio space, or have things been switched around?

For nostalgia fans, a clip of Coffee Club from the 1960's survives on You Tube (it's actually kind of amusing). It's a good sample of the kind of programming that was a staple of the old Crosley Broadcasting stations:

I know the building was remodeled in the 1980's, but are the same spaces still used as studio space, or have things been switched around?

A lot of these pics I'm about to post are Michael Fabac (their ND)'s twitter page.

Here's a screencap of their newsroom/studio from the 1970's clip Hanna-Barbera Land linked to:

5bfk.png

And if you turn the camera around:

g9mm.png

I think this is the same studio, the picture from last October:

A6Fh7PmCEAAqBjg.jpg

Their newsroom is obviously elsewhere in the building now:

A68UayhCUAIpJ5P.jpg

Here's a pic of their "Breaking News Desk":

BC79QmqCQAEEdyP.jpg

And of their temp set (which is actually their "Breaking News Desk", which they got last year, no wonder they looked so cramped, it's designed for one person, it'd look better if they just showed the newsroom or assignment desk):

BTRHabqIcAEYsvc.jpg

And finally of their now old set:

BKYZGEPCEAAl-Fd.jpg

Hopefully these all give some sort of perspective.

Thought we might show the folks how KSAT (then WCMH's sister station) used very similar branding back in those days. There are/were clips from Orlando, Syracuse and/or Providence showing similar stuff.

(@ 0:21)

I remember the exact same "animation" with the ENG truck used by WCMH back around the same time.

Jerry Rasor (then WCMH Weatherman) is the announcer in the second clip.

ADDED:

3. Incidentally, KSAT, WJAR and WCMH all shared the "racing stripe logo" that was used after the logo shown here was retired. Here's the WJAR Version

Aw, hell. I got some of the other versions for you all.

4. WDBO:

5. WNYS Syracuse:

Essentially the same logo flipped 180 degrees.

6. KTVK Phoenix used the same package that you see in Number 2 above, same music too. To my knowledge, KTVK was never part of the Outlet chain.

Cant find the clip from WJAR that once was up.

Sorry if nobody gets off on nostalgia like I do. I love this stuff. There's something a lot more artsy about it than the computer generated stuff of today.

A lot of these pics I'm about to post are Michael Fabac (their ND)'s twitter page.

I think this is the same studio, the picture from last October:

A6Fh7PmCEAAqBjg.jpg

Okay, I guess this was "Studio B" (don't know what it was called).

I think someone said they have three studios now. I take it "Studio A" was chopped up into two smaller spaces, or did they just add a small studio during the 1980's building expansion?

And finally of their now old set:

BKYZGEPCEAAl-Fd.jpg

Hopefully these all give some sort of perspective.

I never really hated this set. In fact, I thought the white stripe along the middle of the desk was a nice touch. I was never really crazy about it, either.

It looks like two bongo drums on each side.

• 2 weeks later...

Not impressed at all with the WBNS Set. Another one that's too cramped. I thought they were going to revamp their building. What ever happened to that project.

I heard it just doesn't make financial sense to build a new building. With the shutdown of ONN my guess is they freed up space for other uses.

I heard it just doesn't make financial sense to build a new building. With the shutdown of ONN my guess is they freed up space for other uses.

Maybe, but when you read about so many of the other groups spending on new facilities in other markets it makes me wonder why a first class operation like WBNS would have the dingiest facilities of all the stations here.

Besides, the Wolfes own so much real estate in and around Columbus I don't think they would have too much trouble finding another building to be in. But then again, they really took a bath when National City Bank went under (they got shares after they merged BancOhio into National City). And with the newspaper down, maybe they are just playing defense for the time being.

For that matter, I always wondered why WDTN continues to stay in the old roller rink. That building is beyond embarassing.

I am thinking the new set should debut in time for November sweeps.

There have been a ton of negative comments on their Facebook page about their temp set.

I kind of like their temp set, actually. I kind of like the white backdrop. Not a bad effort for something temporary.

I still don't understand why they didn't just pick up the current desk and move it into one of the adjacent studios. Alternatively, I bet they still have the old desk from the Downtown Studios. Could it have to do with the way the robotic cameras are set up?

Maybe, but when you read about so many of the other groups spending on new facilities in other markets it makes me wonder why a first class operation like WBNS would have the dingiest facilities of all the stations here.

Besides, the Wolfes own so much real estate in and around Columbus I don't think they would have too much trouble finding another building to be in. But then again, they really took a bath when National City Bank went under (they got shares after they merged BancOhio into National City). And with the newspaper down, maybe they are just playing defense for the time being.

I toured there several years ago and was told they own the land next to the station and that is where they would build one, should they actually build one.

The 10TV studios are a local landmark. A lot of great broadcasters have worked there. So, I would hate to see it go. I am thinking with the uncertainty over the future of local TV, they will not spend the $.

During the 6:00 tonight on WCMH, they showed an interview with Gov. Voinovich which was done on the new interview area of the set. It had white walls around the bottom, two blue duratrans on each side similar in color to the duratrans from the old set, a plasma monitor in the center and a wood column offset to the left with the full-color circle 4 logo/peacock. All very similar to the old interview area, just more white.

Archived