Interersting Developments in Market #32

ColumbusNewsFan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they are not doing what 10TV did in 2007, when they claimed they were getting a new set and all they did was repaint it and plop in a new duratrans. The results were pretty bad.

Nah ... WBNS' set remodel didn't take very long if I remember correctly; it looked like a glorified paint job to me.

Hard to believe it takes over a month to paint over the old set. There has to be new construction going on, but we'll see.

During the 6:00 tonight on WCMH, they showed an interview with Gov. Voinovich which was done on the new interview area of the set. It had white walls around the bottom, two blue duratrans on each side similar in color to the duratrans from the old set, a plasma monitor in the center and a wood column offset to the left with the full-color circle 4 logo/peacock. All very similar to the old interview area, just more white.

Do you have a link so I can see this?

Do you have a link so I can see this?

No, the interview was part of the debt ceiling coverage, and I can't find a link on WCMH's site. The interview is supposed to air in full on The Spectrum Sunday, so maybe it will originate from the new studio?

No, the interview was part of the debt ceiling coverage, and I can't find a link on WCMH's site. The interview is supposed to air in full on The Spectrum Sunday, so maybe it will originate from the new studio?

Thanks. If that is true we might need to keep an eye on 5:00pm today if there are any changes. I supect there won't but I'm keeping my peeled for any info.

We officially got a date for WCMH's New Set..... And GRAPHICS!

Monday, October 21 at 5:00pm.

I knew the set was coming but I'm suprised about the graphics so this is a FULL overhaul. This whole graphic package lasted about a year and a half.... That is a short time for Columbus TV.

Link to the NBC4 (WCMH) Story.....

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23729326/nbc4-countdown-to-launch-of-new-look?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

We officially got a date for WCMH's New Set..... And GRAPHICS!

Monday, October 21 at 5:00pm.

I knew the set was coming but I'm suprised about the graphics so this is a FULL overhaul. This whole graphic package lasted about a year and a half.... That is a short time for Columbus TV.

Link to the NBC4 (WCMH) Story.....

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23729326/nbc4-countdown-to-launch-of-new-look?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

For that matter, five years is a short run for a TV set, especially these days. I am very, very, very surprised they decided to spend money on a new set given how new the current one is. Yes, it is cramped and maybe it's not the world's best set, but it's not awful and it's still relatively new. Big surprise.

I kind of like the current graphics though. Hard for me to believe they are dumping them, especially since they're being rolled out to other MG stations. Maybe they're just switching to the blue colored version, or adding their own twist to them like WNCN did? We shall see.

Their GM, Dan Bradley, came from WFLA and probably sought to make them more competitive. I personally like their product better than 10TV.

Hope they give us a nice tour of the new set.

I guess having one of their downsized bigwigs as GM doesn't hurt. Bradley also used to be VP in charge of news for all MG stations, at corporate HQ in Richmond. It also doesn't hurt being the number two station in their entire chain.

Given how much money WCMH makes, I will guess it will remain their second-most important station even after the merger.

Blurred out pic of the set on NBC4's facebook of the set...... It looks like cramped won't be a problem anymore... WOW.

Looks can be deceiving; might still have some potential to be cramped. I will withhold judgment until I've actually seen it.

Speaking of WFLA, their set is really long in the tooth as are their graphics. Why is WCMH getting all the new toys instead of WFLA? Or does this have to do with my theory that local news viewership in warm weather markets is not as intense as it is in cold weather markets. People are outside in Florida and maybe don't care so much about the local news?

Keith Cate (WFLA) used to be on WBNS.

========

EDIT: A tiny glimpse in this video. Not impressed, but we'll see. Maybe I'll be more impressed with the lights on.

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23729326/nbc4-countdown-to-launch-of-new-look

I don't want to say 10tv copycat with the heavy use of blue and white because it's an FX Group set but.... A lot of blue and white looks in the set and the new look than red in the previous. My flash takeaway from it.

Also I was in the video.... hint: Red, White and Boom!

I don't want to say 10tv copycat with the heavy use of blue and white because it's an FX Group set but.... A lot of blue and white looks in the set and the new look than red in the previous. My flash takeaway from it.

I kind of got the same feelings. Never was very impressed with the 10TV set, so I hope they do better. My office computer looks more impressive than the weather set.

With the new pics today, it got its own feel and I like that. The desk style is something we have seen with other NBC stations. I got to see how it all comes together Monday but that desk looks awesome and it sounds like they got a whole lot in store as well. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

With the new pics today, it got its own feel and I like that. The desk style is something we have seen with other NBC stations. I got to see how it all comes together Monday but that desk looks awesome and it sounds like they got a whole lot in store as well. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

I also liked the desk. Maybe they didn't screw this one up after all.

Flash opinion..... It's so BLUE... Which isn't bad because, The old one had moments where you lost the logo in the sea of red. The set is well... NBC 4 through and through and an upgrade for them. But when you first see it.... The Blue is a major change for them but a good change for them..

Flash opinion..... It's so BLUE... Which isn't bad because, The old one had moments where you lost the logo in the sea of red. The set is well... NBC 4 through and through and an upgrade for them. But when you first see it.... The Blue is a major change for them but a good change for them..

I actually DVR-ed the newscast so I wouldn't have to actually sit through the news (only one story of interest). My initial impressions were wrong. I think it looks great. I like the use of the glass desktops and the weather center looks great. Yes it is huge upgrade.

1. I knew it. They're using the same graphics package, just the blue version of it like WJAR/WSAV.

I also noticed tiny apple notebooks instead of the dell computers they used to have.

2. I like the fact that the sports guy also uses the video wall.

3. I like the general layout. It looks like a real big market set.

4. I like the continuation of the white striping.

Pet peeves:

1. They use a font that can be great looking when used the right way, but the way they use it leaves a lot to be desired. That is the same font JCPenney was using over the summer and it looks great in printed ads. Too much lower case lettering and it simply doesn't look like it's proportioned the right way.

2. What is it with the formica that's supposed to look like brushed stainless steel? They had similarly goofy looking formica on the old set but in the color blue. Why is FX so much in love with this god awful formica?

3. The NBC-4 bug looks better buried in red than it does contrasting with blue. They really need to give that "4" a more three-dimensional look, like a button. It doesn't look so great flat.

They also need to dump the "NBC-4" imaging. I don't mind if they call themselves NBC-4, but I don't like it in their logo. They were at their best, though, during the "NewsChannel 4 ... where news comes first" days. The updates at the top of the hour gave you the impression someone was always there. I wish they would go back to either NewsChannel 4 or WCMH-4.

4. The backlit NBC-4 logo in front of the desk has a yellow hue.

EDIT:

See all the ugly blue formica on the top? They also used it in the interview and standup areas on the old set. That's what the brushed gray looks like to me.

WCMH+ANC-Wide.jpg

They also need to dump the "NBC-4" imaging. I don't mind if they call themselves NBC-4, but I don't like it in their logo. They were at their best, though, during the "NewsChannel 4 ... where news comes first" days. The updates at the top of the hour gave you the impression someone was always there. I wish they would go back to either NewsChannel 4 or WCMH-4.

The thing with that sort of direction is that networks are now more specifically looking for network-heavy branding (ABC writes it into their affiliation agreements!), and the whole 24 Hour News thing (the name was used by 10TV) lost steam as soon as the Internet emerged.

The thing with that sort of direction is that networks are now more specifically looking for network-heavy branding (ABC writes it into their affiliation agreements!), and the whole 24 Hour News thing (the name was used by 10TV) lost steam as soon as the Internet emerged.

I'm going to guess that NBC doesn't have that in their contracts because both WNCN and WVTM dropped NBC 13/NBC 17 as their name. NBC 4 can call themselves NBC 4, I just think spelling out "NBC" in the logo and the bug makes it look too busy.

WCMH_logo.jpg WCMH_StudentsNotProficient.jpg

Now as to the 24 hour news stuff, I don't know how relevant it is from a news standpoint, but I think having someone from the newsroom pop up at the top of the hour at least gives the impression that someone is there with you live. Makes the station more local to me. Otherwise it's just a server spitting out a bunch of canned stuff and Ellen. It's the difference between a live DJ and voicetracking ... especially now since in many markets the news/talk station staff has been cut to the bone.

I think even if someone comes on at the top of the hour live to give a plug and a phone number for a local advertiser that's also okay. It's like the old days when stations had live staff announcers. It's just something to break the monotony of all these canned computer files playing all the time.

Do you get where I'm going with this? The news value is marginal except if there's a traffic tie up. I'm just using it as a pretext for giving the station a certain "feel" that they are there live and the news channel is on top of everything, and if they hear something you're gonna be the first to find out.

This was before my time, but my parents had a Chevrolet from "Lex Mayers Chevrolet" in Bexley (later Bill Swad, Ricart and now Dave Gill). Lex's claim to fame was that he was an advertising guy and he used to produce and emcee a show called "Lex's Live Wrestling" on Channel 4. The show wasn't really about the wrestling, it was about the cutaways between matches so he could hawk used cars on the air.

That's what I'm talking about here ... just imaging more than substance.

Did anybody catch the 6pm? The robo-cameras went crazy during Jym's weather!

I was a little disappointed with so much blue. I was hoping for some warmer tones. The graphics, however, look very nice and I like them better than 10TV's graphics.

That's more in line with embedding the network logo alongside the station logo. WEWS has never been, nor will they ever, be called "ABC 5" or "5 ABC." And WKYC has been called "Channel 3" and "Channel 3 News" since the mid 80s, when they were still an NBC O&O. I generally see CBS and FOX as being the most strict of enforcing branding conventions on their respective affiliates.

But using "NBC" in text alongside the logo is a bit much, at least in the current setup. If WCMH scrapped the "NBC" text, or placed it underneath the peacock a la WCAU, then the logo would stand out more.

That's more in line with embedding the network logo alongside the station logo. WEWS has never been, nor will they ever, be called "ABC 5" or "5 ABC." And WKYC has been called "Channel 3" and "Channel 3 News" since the mid 80s, when they were still an NBC O&O. I generally see CBS and FOX as being the most strict of enforcing branding conventions on their respective affiliates.

But using "NBC" in text alongside the logo is a bit much, at least in the current setup. If WCMH scrapped the "NBC" text, or placed it underneath the peacock a la WCAU, then the logo would stand out more.

WLWC was traditionally "Color TV-4" and "TV-4" as all the Crosley Stations had similar branding. TV-4 was used into the 1980's and then the station became simply "Channel 4". By around 1990, the logo was heavily emphasizing the call letters "WCMH-4" and "News Channel 4", but the aural name was still Channel 4. Channel 4 was used until 1996 when they became "NBC-4" and deemphasized the call letters. NBC introduced the "NBC" lettering in the logo back then and it has remained through Media General.

The "4" looks great on a black mic flag, though I would have used a different font.

The "NBC" needs to be dropped except in maybe limited uses.

Archived